Internal Camera Suite LOOK UP mode.

If I can look down to see the instrument panel, why can't I look up to see out the canopy.

This would be most useful when cruising a ring looking for the bright rock from any ship with a nice upper canopy view.

Control binding “head look” bazinga!
Humnnn, Thought that was only for VR.
A quick fiddle with the headlook setting is promising.
Looks like I would need to find 4 keys that are not already being used for something else. It will accept "two key" entries so maybe CTRL+(KEY?) for LOOK UP, LOOK LEFT, LOOK RIGHT, RESET HEADLOOK to get back to looking forward.
Two key entries will almost certainly have to be Voice Attack controlled to be really useful.
Bet I can put a timer in the macro so I can say "DD GLANCE UP and it will switch and then automatically switch back to FORWARD. Same thing for each side.
Use "DD LOOK (direction)" to get a permanent focus and then have to say "DD LOOK FORWARD" to get it back.
Have to turn the mouse input off I think..
HUmmmmnnnn .....

Ok. I so far have
ALT+Z-- RESET to FRONT
ALT+X -- LOOK UP with MAX INCREMENT in OPTIONS>CONTROLS> HEADLOOK
ALT+C -- LOOK DOWN with MAX INCREMENT in OPTIONS>CONTROLS> HEADLOOK
ALT+V -- LOOK LEFT with MAX INCREMENT in OPTIONS>CONTROLS> HEADLOOK
ALT+B -- LOOK RIGHT with MAX INCREMENT in OPTIONS>CONTROLS> HEADLOOK
VA Commands
LOOK FRONT
Press Left Alt+Z keys and hold for 0.2 seconds and release
LOOK UP
Press Left Alt+X keys and hold for 0.2 seconds and release
LOOK DOWN
Press Left Alt+C keys and hold for 0.2 seconds and release
LOOK RIGHT
Execute command, 'DD look front' (and wait until it completes)
Press Left Alt+B keys and hold for 0.2 seconds and release
LOOK LEFT
Execute command, 'DD look front' (and wait until it completes)
Press Left Alt+V keys and hold for 0.2 seconds and release

Think I will probably want a LOOK UP RIGHT and LOOK UP LEFT

Are you talking about looking round whilst in the cockpit? If so then may I recommend you to get a tracking device. I use ED tracker (cost 10 pounds). It's mounted on a baseball cap and works very well.
I would not play any other way now.

Are you talking about looking round whilst in the cockpit? If so then may I recommend you to get a tracking device. I use ED tracker (cost 10 pounds). It's mounted on a baseball cap and works very well.
I would not play any other way now.
HUmnnn,,, Vrey interesting concept. Problem is that I fly two ships in a wing formation on side by side computers sitting next to a window I like to glance out of to watch the wildlife in my yard while looking from the corner of my eye at the screens.
For mining location searching I put one on one side of the ring and the other on the other side so both are looking out the canopy "up" to see the PWS results. Then I set the controls to "digital" and set both on the same course at the same speed.
I originally used a VA combat/evasion command that causes the ship to travel more or less in a straight line with a nose up attitude so I was looking up into the ring. It works but it is kludgie and a bit disorienting because every few seconds the downward thrust causes the view to look like it is sliding. It is also very ship dependent as every ship has different thrust rates and different forward speeds require different time delays between the downward thrusts and lengths of those thrusts.
For use as a combat/evasion maneuver it doesn't have to be very precise about maintaining the straight vector. In fact, it probably is enhanced by the fact that it requires regular manual tweeking to keep the ship oriented the way it needs to be to keep the turrets on the enemy. This introduces an element of randomness that seems to keep the NPC's less able to stay on me as a a target.
But, for use in the rock survey, it needs to be much more precise and I decided that I wasn't willing to invest the time in such a specialized macro. Did that for the so called "glide search" to look for volcanic activity and the DEV's made it all for naught with the new discovery tools.
So. This is my current "Asteroid Field Scanner" VA Macro. Should work on any ship with a decent cockpit view.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1u-OdDDWhcyk3cuHwDOw-aVZMiiWaI3gB Google may still be processing so check back later. 1:25 minutes.

The basic building blocks for the macro are already posted earlier. I will post the complete macro if anyone is actually interested.
It should be noted that any time you use a multi key command, the game will see and react to both (all) keys so unless the game is treating a key different based on the mode you are in, it will take action based on that key stroke. The "X" and "V" keys are not truly mode dependent. If you are in normal space, The "X" key stays bound to "Flight Assist" and the "V" Key stays bound to "Rotational Correction" and the game default mode for them is "TOGGLE". To be able to reuse them I have set the game to require them to be "HOLD to Disable".
I used the keys I did because they are in a nice one hand use location on a standard keyboard.

Very clever, but I would note that there's an easier solution for surveying rocks. If all you want is to fly perpendicular to the cockpit orientation, do as follows (should also be easily macro-able if you like): 1) orient ship as desired with FA on and zero throttle; 2) making sure to give no rotational inputs, turn FA off; 3) thrust up/down/sideways in desired direction until max speed is reached; 4) don't touch the controls again until you find something of interest.

Also, don't know if you're aware, but you can unlock the camera in the external camera suite views. Really nice for ring scanning, since you can get a 360° view.

Very clever, but I would note that there's an easier solution for surveying rocks. If all you want is to fly perpendicular to the cockpit orientation, do as follows (should also be easily macro-able if you like): 1) orient ship as desired with FA on and zero throttle; 2) making sure to give no rotational inputs, turn FA off; 3) thrust up/down/sideways in desired direction until max speed is reached; 4) don't touch the controls again until you find something of interest.

Also, don't know if you're aware, but you can unlock the camera in the external camera suite views. Really nice for ring scanning, since you can get a 360° view.
Using the external camera you don't get to see the glow from the PWS.

I tried a similar idea by using only digital controls and pointing the nose at the field and running a macro to apply full side thrust since the side to side FOV in the AspX is better than the Fwd- UP FOV.
Again flying wing with a ship on the other side of the ring and holding formation was difficult since that turns all the flight controls to make minor course correction on their side.

So far this is looking like the easiest way for me to do what I am doing. I get to use normal orientation of the ships so making minor course changes to stay in formation is easy.

In the video I almost immediately spotted two possible rocks for closer inspection in both upper side quadrants that were not visible looking straight forward.

Puzzling. I wonder if that changed in a recent patch - I used exactly that technique some months ago and it worked fine.
Humnn,, Works now. Tried it as soon as I started mining and it didn't. Up side is it will be simpler to write a macro to do an automatic left to right sweep. Downside is not being able to see the scanner to keep the wingship in formation.

WOW!
Being able to use the external camera during the mining scanning opens up a whole new way for me to find the good rocks while in a wing. My first thought was that I wouldn't be able to keep the ships in formation. BUT, If I use one ship cruising at 50% speed 1 pip, scanning automatically with the external camera positioned behind and below itself at the most zoomed out range, I can then use the other ship to investigate the bright rocks and do it more efficiently since I can now see the location of the other ship and the bright rock from the scanning ship. I can even get the camera view to be down in the ring.
Having control of the headlook camera is still going to be useful.

Ok.
Had some time to try this and it works, sort of.
Very difficult to use the exterior camera view to guide a second ship to a specific rock.
BUT.
Using the exterior camera does make finding the good rocks much easier.
The camera can see 12-13 km when the ship is down close enough to the ring for the PWS to work and the PWS appears to have a longer range than that.
The technique I have developed is to use a VA Macro to get the camera out, raise it up well above the ship, zoom the view out to get maximum field of view, move the camera forward till the nose of the ship is just visible and then start the PWS pinging.
Look for the brightest rocks and then switch back to ship control, turn the ship to point at the brightest rock, and zoom the camera in on it. If it loos promising I have two ways to go.
If there are other rocks I want to zoom in on, I send the other ship cruising on the line from the spotter toward the rock while the spotter zomms in on other possible rocks.
OR
I start the spotter cruising toward the rock and switch back to the camera and control it to keep the rock in sight and when the camera is pointing nearly straight down, move back into the cockpit to zero in.
Five of my last seven prospectors have turned up core rocks and one of the others had high value surface deposits.

Top Bottom