Introducing AID - the Anti Interdiction Device

Dear Commanders and Commandrettes,

After years of meticulous research, the Lanley Institute for Engineering (LIE) proudly presents: AID - the Anti Interdiction Device!

Are you tired of getting interdicted whenever you want to take the family out for a weekend joyride to that beautiful ringed planet where you once found these shiny void opals? Or when you just wanted to space-walk the dog around that engineer workshop's site?

Fear no more - Lyle Lanley and the friendly folks at LIE are here to help! We developed a device that makes it virtually impossible to interdict your ship. No matter if the interdictor carries a Pilots Federation membership card or not.

How does it work?

We developed a technology to redirect shield energy to react with particles stored in the compartment your AID is installed to. When a baddie attempts to interdict you, the AID will trigger automatically (or manually, if you wish) and inject the mass resulting from the process into the FSDI beam of the attacking ship, overwhelming it and voiding the interdiction attempt. You are safe to continue your journey.

In fact, most baddies won't even interdict you anymore, as they can see from your ship's signature that you have an active AID installed. So chances are they won't even bother trying.

(For the sake of transparency - we have been forced to provide a backdoor override procedure, but that will be only available to authorities.)

What do you need?

An aptly sized shield generator, and a similarly sized (for most ships) optional internal compartment slot to install the AID into. While idle, the weight is similar to a fully laden cargo compartment of the same size - our engineers at LIE challenged the laws of physics to minimize the impact AID has on your ship's jump range and outfitting options.

And what's 256 tons less cargo capacity during a painite mining run, compared to the peace of mind knowing that nobody can interdict your T-9 on the way back to base? And just between us - we know that you know you cannot trust your wingmen to protect your valuable cargo - don't worry, we won't tell them that you told us!

Don't wait up - get your AID today! Available at more and more stations throughout the bubble (subject to the certification that is still in progress, but should be completed any day).

/lore

An idea for a "forced open" scenario. I know the hardcore players will cry "foul!" immediately, but let's face it - there are a lot of players out there who simply do not want to be interdicted.

Other MMO games have systems in place that allow the player to avoid PvP action. This is an approach for an immersive solution for Elite Dangerous. You can avoid getting interdicted by installing a device. That will cost you a slot (or 2 actually, if the AID would require a shield generator to be present, which I'd recommend). That means increased weight, reduced cargo capacity and/or outfitting options, so the solution does not come without a price tag (and I'm not just talking CR here).

An individual approach may be required for each ship, to properly balance the compartment requirements. Installing a no-interdiction guarantee should hurt a little, but it shouldn't completely kill the usability of the ship, either.

The AID leaves the commander with a choice - they can sacrifice progress speed for more safety, if they wish.

The AID would work against NPC pirates as well. I'd include a settings option, "auto" or "manual". In "manual", NPCs would still attempt to interdict you, and you can decide every time whether or not to accept the fight. In "auto", NPCs wouldn't even try anymore.

For PvP, ships with an active AID could be displayed in a different colour on the radar, so that human pirates know it may be futile to try and interdict them.

The AID could replace the current "escape vector" minigame, that I honestly find neither entertaining nor immersive (where does the interdicting ship vanish to when I successfully avoid the interdiction?).

Hence, the AID. Love it, hate it - it's just an idea, and probably won't ever make it into the game anyway. It's not like this idea qualifies for the Nobel Prize for Outstanding Game Feature Ideas. I still wanted to share it. You never know.

And to reply to the shots that will inevitably be fired - no, I wouldn't install AID myself. I indeed love interdictions and always respond to them by throttling down to zero. I just respect that there are a lot of players who don't like them, and I don't see how ED becomes a better game by forcing these players to accept being interdicted, avoid NPCs with an arcade-like minigame that doesn't really add anything to the game, or avoid PvP by hiding in solo, thus making an already empty galaxy even emptier.

Stay safe, CMDRs! o7

Yes lets make the gane even less challenging by removing conflict completely!
What exactly is the challenge in getting interdicted by a hyper-engineered Corvette when you fly a Cobra, AspX or even Python (PvP)?
Or in beating that lackluster "escape vector" minigame (PvE)?

The AID would at least require the player to make a sacrifice if they want to be safe from unwanted PvP and PvE combat.

What exactly is the challenge in getting interdicted by a hyper-engineered Corvette when you fly a Cobra, AspX or even Python (PvP)?
Or in beating that lackluster "escape vector" minigame (PvE)?

The AID would at least require the player to make a sacrifice if they want to be safe from unwanted PvP and PvE combat.
Literally the only small challenge in this game is combat, and youre trying to have a "combat off" switch

Well I'd have question to ask for open only advocates, what YOU would want to sacrifice to compensate removal of no-ganking modes? And it would need be something significant. I'd say OP's suggestion is workable one, though as explorer I wouldn't like it very much. Heavy module really ruins jump capacity.

A cobra will out manoeuvre a Corvette, chances are the corvette wont get a shot on you if you get in close.

But come on why would you want to make the game even safer, easy mode than it already is.
A Cobra is easy prey for an engineered Corvette, unless it manages to boost away really quickly.

The suggestion was made in relation to an "open only" policy that's been rumoured for a while now.
Even without that, AID may help to get a few more CMDRs back into open and make the galaxy seem a little less dead and empty.

For an unexperienced commander or a casual player, getting interdicted by another human player means certain death.
Even as an experienced commander, you can only risk it of you really ace the engineering game. And aceing it means an insane amount of grinding.

As a result, players who dislike getting interdicted (and they are out there, whether the "git gud" faction likes it or not) will either retreat to solo, or lose interest in the game entirely. Both is indisputably bad for the MMO environment.

Gankers are an annoyance in games like GTA, where getting killed comes without any notable in-game penalties.
In a game like ED, where getting killed sets you back significantly, it renders open play impossible.

There is a reason why Fallout 76 requires both players to explicitly approve any PvP action. AID would follow the same idea, but in a more immersive fashion, and with a price tag attached to it.

Literally the only small challenge in this game is combat, and youre trying to have a "combat off" switch
Nothing will stop you from enjoying combat, if you wish. But nothing entitles you to force your combat oriented play style (mine as well, actually) upon others. ED offers a ton of different possibilities, but FDev's ganker-friendly policy makes it close to impossible to enjoy most of these possibilities in open play.

Forcing players out of open play is a pretty strange policy for an MMO, if you ask me. Offering options to configure the level of PvP interaction might be a way to remedy that. That was the idea behind AID.

Well I'd have question to ask for open only advocates, what YOU would want to sacrifice to compensate removal of no-ganking modes? And it would need be something significant. I'd say OP's suggestion is workable one, though as explorer I wouldn't like it very much. Heavy module really ruins jump capacity.
That was the idea. I would not offer a safety net without a price tag. A simple "combat off" switch would be too much, as far as I am concerned.

Want to enjoy the safety of being un-interdictable? Accept lower jump ranges during exploration, lower payloads during mining or cargo runs, and insufficient cargo space for the highest paying delivery missions (that's just a simple matter of mission design).

Don't want all that? Don't install AID, but then accept that it's a dangerous world out there. Can't have it all. But at least you have a choice then, other than playing in solo, or giving up on the game entirely.

Last edited:
A Cobra is easy prey for an engineered Corvette, unless it manages to boost away really quickly.

The suggestion was made in relation to an "open only" policy that's been rumoured for a while now.
Even without that, AID may help to get a few more CMDRs back into open and make the galaxy seem a little less dead and empty.

For an unexperienced commander or a casual player, getting interdicted by another human player means certain death.
Even as an experienced commander, you can only risk it of you really ace the engineering game. And aceing it means an insane amount of grinding.

As a result, players who dislike getting interdicted (and they are out there, whether the "git gud" faction likes it or not) will either retreat to solo, or lose interest in the game entirely. Both is indisputably bad for the MMO environment.

Gankers are an annoyance in games like GTA, where getting killed comes without any notable in-game penalties.
In a game like ED, where getting killed sets you back significantly, it renders open play impossible.

There is a reason why Fallout 76 requires both players to explicitly approve any PvP action. AID would follow the same idea, but in a more immersive fashion, and with a price tag attached to it.

Nothing will stop you from enjoying combat, if you wish. But nothing entitles you to force your combat oriented play style (mine as well, actually) upon others. ED offers a ton of different possibilities, but FDev's ganker-friendly policy makes it close to impossible to enjoy most of these possibilities in open play.

Forcing players out of open play is a pretty strange policy for an MMO, if you ask me. Offering options to configure the level of PvP interaction might be a way to remedy that. That was the idea behind AID.

That was the idea. I would not offer a safety net without a price tag. A simple "combat off" switch would be too much, as far as I am concerned.

Want to enjoy the safety of being un-interdictable? Accept lower jump ranges during exploration, lower payloads during mining or cargo runs, and insufficient cargo space for the highest paying delivery missions (that's just a simple matter of mission design).

Don't want all that? Don't install AID, but then accept that it's a dangerous world out there. Can't have it all. But at least you have a choice then, other than playing in solo, or giving up on the game entirely.
The point is that its a dangerous world anyway and you have to learn to work with it.

Boost away? Why are we suddenly in normal space? How on earth did a Cobra lose to a corvette in the interdiction minigame?
My comment was a reply to "A cobra will out manoeuvre a Corvette, chances are the corvette wont get a shot on you if you get in close."
I read that as referring to normal space.

Either way - please tell me how the interdiction minigame is an immersive and rewarding solution to avoiding interdictions?

The point is that its a dangerous world anyway and you have to learn to work with it.
Because you say so? Will there be foot stomping if people won't comply with your demands?

The point is, only after the last Newbie has been ganked / Only after the last CMDR has retreated to solo / Only after FDev switched off the servers for good because there are not enough players left to justify keeping the game alive / Then will you find that ganking is no fun if there is nobody left to gank.

My comment was a reply to "A cobra will out manoeuvre a Corvette, chances are the corvette wont get a shot on you if you get in close."
I read that as referring to normal space.

Either way - please tell me how the interdiction minigame is an immersive and rewarding solution to avoiding interdictions?

Because you say so? Will there be foot stomping if people won't comply with your demands?

The point is, only after the last Newbie has been ganked / Only after the last CMDR has retreated to solo / Only after FDev switched off the servers for good because there are not enough players left to justify keeping the game alive / Then will you find that ganking is no fun if there is nobody left to gank.
20200422_222133.jpg

I don't see a need for this since open only is prolly not going to happen. Yes, gankers, pirates, other PvPers, and open only BGS people, might want to get rid of PG/Solo modes because it would force whatever players that did not quit the game over it, into open. But I can't see Open becoming the only mode available any more than I can an Open PvE mode coming into existence. However much anyone might want those things. Especially since the console players have to pay for online modes.

But nothing entitles you to force your combat oriented play style (mine as well, actually) upon others.

Agreed on that. As far as I'm concerned the flippant replies here personify this mentality.

But there are multiple loopholes in your AID device.

1. The module is a burden, so most players concerned about ganking will still choose solo or mobius (and defeating the point of the module)
2. Even for those who equip it in open, it completely guts piracy gameplay just to prevent ganking in supercruise. Collateral damage.
3. It doesn't prevent ganking in normal space around high traffic locations (farseer blockade, suicidewinder ram)

This module wouldn't change any consideration for me. My exploration Anaconda and mining Cutter will still reside in Mobius/Solo, and my fully engineered combat corvette will stay in open/mobius with the same loadout as they do now.

Top Bottom