Ships Introducing the Diamondback Explorer

This is excellent news - bodes well for creating much more ship variety in the game. Pls do the same with other ships - change the module slots, change some specs and slap on a different paint job and you have a ton more variety. Obviously pricing should vary too, and some ships should be harder to locate than others. Again, very nicely done!

Mike Evans

Designer- Elite: Dangerous
Frontier
This is excellent news - bodes well for creating much more ship variety in the game. Pls do the same with other ships - change the module slots, change some specs and slap on a different paint job and you have a ton more variety. Obviously pricing should vary too, and some ships should be harder to locate than others. Again, very nicely done!

This is more of a variant in name only, the geometry, although similar is actually different. It's essentially a whole new ship (1.5 times longer in length for a start) and thus it takes as long to make as any other ship would. Basically it's not just a diamondback with different stats if that's what you're thinking by variant ships.

Last edited:
I have no doubt I will purchase both variants, but other than cosmetic differences how does the explorer variant differ from the scout specifications wise?

Last edited:

Mike Evans

Designer- Elite: Dangerous
Frontier
I have no doubt I will purchase both variants, but other than cosmetic differences how does the explorer variant differ from the scout?

It's very different. It's much longer and thus larger and heavier which allows for a completely different set of internal module numbers and qualities. The rest will be a surprise ;)

This is more of a variant in name only, the geometry, although similar is actually different. It's essentially a whole new ship (1.5 times longer in length for a start) and thus it takes as long to make as any other ship would. Basically it's not just a diamondback with different stats if that's what you're thinking by variant ships.

Thanks for clarifying - I just studied the screenshot again, and now see the difference: it's not glaringly obvious to the casual observer, but after a minute or so looking for the difference I now see that the Explorer is different/longer, which is cool. That being said, I think many of us would also applaud you loudly even if you were to create variants through "just" module and ship spec differentiation. That being said - don't less this thought detract from the awesomeness that is a new ship. Very cool indeed.

Wow. Quite a nice surprise, FD. Looking forward to it. :)

Also, it's nice to be heard. I don't know if this was planned, or in response to some of our campaigns here on the forums, but it's appreciated regardless.

Good to know...... Mike can you just confirm if you get a sec please, is this one of the planned 30 ships in the game, or is it a little bonus extra?

thanks

Last edited:
I was actually tooling around in Open last night and spotted both versions on my Contacts list. Here I thought it was a bug! :p

So, I purchased a Diamondback recently (having heard about the Wolf 406 CG), and it's got the yellow paint scheme. Although, upon inspection, my DB looks to be the same size as the Scout in that picture, so I'm assuming it'll look more like that than the typical angry hornet.

This is awesome, though. Having neat iterations of different ships is a cool idea, IMO.

Last edited:
This is more like it! Have an Asp in the fleet already, but will probably pick one of these up. Looks cool, and I liked the cockpit from the early screenshots :)

Top Bottom