• Good news Guest, we've updated our reporting system to make it easier for you to report issues to us!

Head over to https://issues.frontierstore.net/ to report, vote, and give feedback on the issues that matter most to you!

Inventory Menu Navigation Lag

Severity
Minor

Frequency
Once

Area of Game Affected
Text and User Interface

Description
When opening the Scenery, Shops or Building menus, the game freezes and the items are very slow to load. This is even on an empty map. Each time the menu is closed and re-opened, the same lag occurs.

I don't remember experiencing this issue early 2018 when I purchased the game. It seems that at some point an update caused this lag to start happening for me. Unfortunately I cannot pinpoint the exact update as I don't always play regularly.

My gut reaction (as a developer) is that these inventory models are not being cached efficiently. It's totally understandable if the first menu load is slow, but after that all of these items should be cached. I have 32GB of DDR4, there is plenty of room.

I don't experience performance issues in any other area of the game. I have noticed when the menu opens that my CPU and GPU load drop to near-zero, and go back up once the menu is finally open. My SSD usage goes up moderately but it is not significant. There has got to be something here that isn't optimized.

I have ensured all of my firmware/drivers are up-to-date. I'll be attaching a dxdiag and video if possible.

Please let me know if I can provide more information to help resolve this issue, it's the only problem I have with the game! Thanks!

Steps to Reproduce
1) Open a new sandbox park
2) Open the building, scenery or shops menus
3) Observe lag when opening the menus and scrolling through items
4) Observe that closing and re-opening the menus is just as slow

DXDiag Info and Video

Here's a video of the issue:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3c2bnowy7jvw1rt/slow-menu.mp4?dl=0

Focus on the sound of when the menu click happens, and how long it takes for the UI to respond.

Here's my dxdiag:

Code:
------------------
System Information
------------------
      Time of this report: 2/11/2019, 09:33:22
             Machine name: OFFICECOMPUTER
               Machine Id: {5E89AB39-A0A9-4186-92DB-5E7B6A2809AF}
         Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
                 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
             System Model: System Product Name
                     BIOS: 4207 (type: UEFI)
                Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 Quad-Core Processor            (8 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
                   Memory: 32768MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 32700MB RAM
                Page File: 6329MB used, 31234MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: DirectX 12
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         User DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
       System DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
          DWM DPI Scaling: UnKnown
                 Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
           DxDiag Version: 10.00.17134.0001 64bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
      Display Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 3: No problems found.
          Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D:    0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw:  0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay:  0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow:  0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
           Card name: Radeon RX 580 Series
        Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
           Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x67DF)
            DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
         Device Type: Full Device (POST)
          Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_67DF&SUBSYS_34181462&REV_E7
       Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER] 
 Device Problem Code: No Problem
 Driver Problem Code: Unknown
      Display Memory: 20426 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 4076 MB
       Shared Memory: 16350 MB
        Current Mode: 3840 x 2160 (32 bit) (29Hz)
         HDR Support: Not Supported
    Display Topology: Internal
 Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G22_NONE_P709
     Color Primaries: Red(0.634289,0.341320), Green(0.312023,0.636242), Blue(0.158703,0.062023), White Point(0.313000,0.329602)
   Display Luminance: Min Luminance = 0.500000, Max Luminance = 270.000000, MaxFullFrameLuminance = 270.000000
        Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
       Monitor Model: U28E590
          Monitor Id: SAM0C4E
         Native Mode: 3840 x 2160(p) (30.000Hz)
         Output Type: HDMI
Monitor Capabilities: HDR Not Supported
Display Pixel Format: DISPLAYCONFIG_PIXELFORMAT_32BPP
      Advanced Color: Not Supported
         Driver Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0338885.inf_amd64_648d9ae54bb276d8\B338884\aticfx64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0338885.inf_amd64_648d9ae54bb276d8\B338884\aticfx64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0338885.inf_amd64_648d9ae54bb276d8\B338884\aticfx64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0338885.inf_amd64_648d9ae54bb276d8\B338884\amdxc64.dll
 Driver File Version: 25.20.15017.1010 (English)
      Driver Version: 25.20.15017.1010
         DDI Version: 12
      Feature Levels: 12_0,11_1,11_0,10_1,10_0,9_3,9_2,9_1
        Driver Model: WDDM 2.4
 Graphics Preemption: Primitive
  Compute Preemption: DMA
            Miracast: Not Supported by Graphics driver
 Hybrid Graphics GPU: Not Supported
      Power P-states: Not Supported
      Virtualization: Paravirtualization 
          Block List: No Blocks
  Catalog Attributes: Universal:False Declarative:False 
   Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 1/31/2019 7:00:00 PM, 1959320 bytes
         WHQL Logo'd: n/a
     WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
   Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-249F-11CF-2074-B12E5CC2D435}
           Vendor ID: 0x1002
           Device ID: 0x67DF
           SubSys ID: 0x34181462
         Revision ID: 0x00E7
  Driver Strong Name: oem45.inf:cb0ae414b1258a48:ati2mtag_Polaris10DS:25.20.15017.1010:pci\ven_1002&dev_67df&rev_e7
      Rank Of Driver: 00D12000
         Video Accel: Unknown
         DXVA2 Modes: DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_VLD  DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_IDCT  DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_NoFGT  DXVA2_ModeHEVC_VLD_Main  DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_Stereo_Progressive_NoFGT  DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_Stereo_NoFGT  DXVA2_ModeVC1_VLD  DXVA2_ModeMPEG4pt2_VLD_AdvSimple_NoGMC  DXVA2_ModeHEVC_VLD_Main10  
      Deinterlace Caps: n/a
        D3D9 Overlay: Not Supported
             DXVA-HD: Not Supported
        DDraw Status: Enabled
          D3D Status: Enabled
          AGP Status: Enabled
       MPO MaxPlanes: 1
            MPO Caps: Not Supported
         MPO Stretch: Not Supported
     MPO Media Hints: Not Supported
         MPO Formats: Not Supported
    PanelFitter Caps: Not Supported
 PanelFitter Stretch: Not Supported

It's probably the same problem everyone is experiencing in very large parks (although you say the same happens with empty parks on your side (I don't have that in my game, only with larger parks).

https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/34754-Choppy-gameplay-since-1-8-2-update

Did you subscirbe to TMT items? Those create lag to.

Frontier is still figuring out what is going on. (at least that is what I tell myself).
Hey Luuknoord. I did look at that post, but this issue seems different. I don't experience FPS issues when playing the normal game. Only when opening/closing and navigating these menus. Perhaps it is actually related, but I don't want this to get lost in that thread.

heatherg23

Ttillage it happens to me as well with the menus but it only takes 15 seconds so it”s not to much of a problem. For some people it is longer than that. For me it takes the same amount of time if it’s in an empty park or not.

Quick Update

Update: I removed all of my subscriptions from Steam Workshop, rebooted Steam and Planet Coaster, and the lag slightly better but it still exists.

Also, somehow the fields I entered when I created this thread got reset, I think when my human verification timed out. Here are the correct values:
Severity: Moderate
Frequency: All of the time (100% reproducible)
Area of Game Affected: Peformance / Text & User Interface

Please note that this happens on a clean sandbox park, so it does not seem related to general FPS issues others have seen. I have tried reinstalling Planet Coaster from Steam and that didn't help either.

Yup...ever since the Toolkit update this is the norm. In large files the menus can take 2 or 3 minutes to come up and populate with objects. So with autosaves every 20 minutes or so, you can get 10 minutes or so in between actually building, at least that is what I'm experiencing. It's very frustrating.

Yup...ever since the Toolkit update this is the norm. In large files the menus can take 2 or 3 minutes to come up and populate with objects. So with autosaves every 20 minutes or so, you can get 10 minutes or so in between actually building, at least that is what I'm experiencing. It's very frustrating.
we must be using the same system as this sounds just like me. The autosaves lock me up for several minutes as well.

we must be using the same system as this sounds just like me. The autosaves lock me up for several minutes as well.
So, while I don't like doing this...it does help. The pieces I find myself using more in my builds (both scenery and buildings)...I have placed in a 'junk yard' in my park. When I want these pieces there is little lag just grabbing that piece and duplicating it instead of opening the UI tabs and waiting to access that piece. It doesn't help all the time, but I have sped up my builds slightly doing this trick...hopefully just for now.

Oooo... I like that idea! I gave up for tonight though... two crashes within an hour. [blah]
Thank goodness I don't have crash issues while playing, just lag and slow playtime. Only crash I get is when closing the game and everything is saved and safe by then (knock on wood). This is definitely some sort of sync/communication issue in my opinion. The crash I get when closing the game, I also get a warning for while playing the game as well...and its that message that basically makes it sound like the game, or some important communication within the game, is timing out. Of you click the 'no, don't close the game' option, it goes back to playing like nothing happened.

I have had the same since before TMT.

Also the Frequency shouldn't be 'once' it should be 'every time'

It happens with empty parks for me too.

QA-Mitch

Frontier QA Team
Staff member
Hey!

Sorry for the frustration caused by this issue.

We are very much aware of it and are currently looking at ways to improve the performance.

So, while I don't like doing this...it does help. The pieces I find myself using more in my builds (both scenery and buildings)...I have placed in a 'junk yard' in my park. When I want these pieces there is little lag just grabbing that piece and duplicating it instead of opening the UI tabs and waiting to access that piece. It doesn't help all the time, but I have sped up my builds slightly doing this trick...hopefully just for now.
Yes! I've been doing the similar with some pieces as well. Because invariably when placing multiples of something the game will hang for a second and it places the item in the wrong spot. So I have to stop, move it, delete it or use 'un-do' and then wait for the menu to reload to select the same piece, so easier to have a copy stored in-game.

Auto-saves don't fully lock me up, but sure slow things down. I've had the game crashes when closing a few times, but no messages about them. I always make sure to save first before exiting just in case. I only have 8-10 TMT items so load time for the game isn't unbearable, however it's really disappointing to have to limit myself on what I can download - there's some really nice pieces I could probably use but can't for fear of the lag at opening. Sad really, when that's a feature that is meant to strengthen the game...

I'm very happy to hear the lag and other problems are still being investigated! There had been rumors that supposedly no cause was found so it was kind of being dismissed as probably just something wrong at our end...which seemed extremely strange when it pretty much started happening to people at the same time after an update, which is the one obvious commonality among all the different players computer specs and game files experiencing it...