Investigation into the "Mysterious Stranger"

yep, and it is present on all variations of the large size (+++) bases (disregarding security level) and on all medium size with high security. Exception - medium "extraction" bases - also all variations (just because they are in fact "large")
Can you share the exact system you've got this mission?
i think it was before the CGs, so it may be when i was BH in Shinrarta D
yep, and it is present on all variations of the large size (+++) bases (disregarding security level) and on all medium size with high security. Exception - medium "extraction" bases - also all variations (just because they are in fact "large")
Can you share the exact system you've got this mission?
i received the tip off the 4th of december, i don't know for sure where i was, but i searched in ED log and here's what i found :

- in the netLog files of that day, i have
{17:27:25GMT 2895.219s} ServerAdminRegister::Message: newInboxMessage

IF this line indicate the real time of the tip off mail :

- in the journalLog, at 17:27:26, i was at Jameson Memorial to end a "Mission massacre illlegal", The Dark Wheel faction asked me to kill 15 civilians of V886 Centauri Future (system Nuenets)
{ "timestamp":"2019-12-04T17:27:26Z", "event":"MissionCompleted", "Faction":"The Dark Wheel", "Name":"Mission_Massacre_Illegal_BLOPS_name", "MissionID":526487317, "TargetType":"$MissionUtil_FactionTag_Citizen;", "TargetType_Localised":"Civils", "TargetFaction":"V886 Centauri Future", "KillCount":15, "NewDestinationSystem":"Shinrarta Dezhra", "DestinationSystem":"Nuenets", "NewDestinationStation":"Jameson Memorial", "DestinationStation":"Betancourt Enterprise", "Reward":13846653, "FactionEffects":[ { "Faction":"", "Effects":[ { "Effect":"$MISSIONUTIL_Interaction_Summary_Outbreak_up;", "Effect_Localised":"Sans assistance médicale, la faction $#MinorFaction; se retrouvera bientôt face à une véritable épidémie dans le système $#System;.", "Trend":"UpBad" } ], "Influence":[ { "SystemAddress":3240309557611, "Trend":"DownBad", "Influence":"+" } ], "ReputationTrend":"DownBad", "Reputation":"+" }, { "Faction":"The Dark Wheel", "Effects":[ { "Effect":"$MISSIONUTIL_Interaction_Summary_EP_up;", "Effect_Localised":"La situation économique de la faction $#MinorFaction; s'est améliorée dans le système $#System;.", "Trend":"UpGood" } ], "Influence":[ { "SystemAddress":3932277478106, "Trend":"UpGood", "Influence":"++" } ], "ReputationTrend":"UpGood", "Reputation":"++" } ] }

i think it was before the CGs, so it may be when i was BH in Shinrarta D

i received the tip off the 4th of december, i don't know for sure where i was, but i searched in ED log and here's what i found :

- in the netLog files of that day, i have
{17:27:25GMT 2895.219s} ServerAdminRegister::Message: newInboxMessage

IF this line indicate the real time of the tip off mail :

- in the journalLog, at 17:27:26, i was at Jameson Memorial to end a "Mission massacre illlegal", The Dark Wheel faction asked me to kill 15 civilians of V886 Centauri Future (system Nuenets)
{ "timestamp":"2019-12-04T17:27:26Z", "event":"MissionCompleted", "Faction":"The Dark Wheel", "Name":"Mission_Massacre_Illegal_BLOPS_name", "MissionID":526487317, "TargetType":"$MissionUtil_FactionTag_Citizen;", "TargetType_Localised":"Civils", "TargetFaction":"V886 Centauri Future", "KillCount":15, "NewDestinationSystem":"Shinrarta Dezhra", "DestinationSystem":"Nuenets", "NewDestinationStation":"Jameson Memorial", "DestinationStation":"Betancourt Enterprise", "Reward":13846653, "FactionEffects":[ { "Faction":"", "Effects":[ { "Effect":"$MISSIONUTIL_Interaction_Summary_Outbreak_up;", "Effect_Localised":"Sans assistance médicale, la faction $#MinorFaction; se retrouvera bientôt face à une véritable épidémie dans le système $#System;.", "Trend":"UpBad" } ], "Influence":[ { "SystemAddress":3240309557611, "Trend":"DownBad", "Influence":"+" } ], "ReputationTrend":"DownBad", "Reputation":"+" }, { "Faction":"The Dark Wheel", "Effects":[ { "Effect":"$MISSIONUTIL_Interaction_Summary_EP_up;", "Effect_Localised":"La situation économique de la faction $#MinorFaction; s'est améliorée dans le système $#System;.", "Trend":"UpGood" } ], "Influence":[ { "SystemAddress":3932277478106, "Trend":"UpGood", "Influence":"++" } ], "ReputationTrend":"UpGood", "Reputation":"++" } ] }
Wow, good catch. I've thought to check if there any additional info provided on Tip Off missions in player journal (as there has been some updates in September) - having no much hope - but completely forgot about netlogs. In fact, have also "ServerAdminRegister::Message: newInboxMessage" line around last Tip Off receival. With a bit strange lag of about 1 minute when the mission that has triggered it has been completed. Thank you!

And here is the third variation of the "additional" text added to the mission completion screen that marks the tip off arrival:

Mysterious Stranger(s)_3.png

simply "have been sent", not "uploaded" this time
And yes, for all so far 3 Tip Offs received recently there where always some special mention about on the mission completion screen.
This in fact leads:
1) Strictly speaking, at least some tip off's are triggered by missions (however looks like one can speak about all of them)
2) No "mysterious strangers", only well known minor factions contacts.

Last edited:
Wow, good catch. I've thought to check if there any additional info provided on Tip Off missions in player journal (as there has been some updates in September) - having no much hope - but completely forgot about netlogs. In fact, have also "ServerAdminRegister::Message: newInboxMessage" line around last Tip Off receival. With a bit strange lag of about 1 minute when the mission that has triggered it has been completed. Thank you!

And here is the third variation of the "additional" text added to the mission completion screen that marks the tip off arrival:

View attachment 155329

simply "have been sent", not "uploaded" this time
And yes, for all so far 3 Tip Offs received recently there where always some special mention about on the mission completion screen.
This in fact leads:
1) Strictly speaking, at least some tip off's are triggered by missions (however looks like one can speak about all of them)
2) No "mysterious strangers", only well known minor factions contacts.
i'am not sure it is the end of the mission that triggered the tip off
i spend a lot of time in the system Nuenets to catch the 15 ships (each time i shot one, the other escaped at 7000 sl, so i had to jump to SC 14 times...)

i usually receive tip off when i spend a lot of time doing trade missions in the same system (or BH, or CG)

i'am not sure it is the end of the mission that triggered the tip off
i spend a lot of time in the system Nuenets to catch the 15 ships (each time i shot one, the other escaped at 7000 sl, so i had to jump to SC 14 times...)

i usually receive tip off when i spend a lot of time doing trade missions in the same system (or BH, or CG)
There is an already "classic" post by @Ian Doncaster about this at the very first page of this thread + some later hints given by Dominic Corner (here and elsewhere) and assumptions and observations done by other commanders.

Also, two independent sets of experiments have been conducted recently by commander @ironshirt and me in an attempt to force through the so called "geo-check" at the stage of tip off missions assignment. Both we've scanned (or "pre-scanned") all known active sites (i.e. all 44 known TO-related settlements + all active at the moment crash sites) and then conducting kind of "Tip Off"-oriented grind in different set of locations. Repeating this two times each, hoping - as at least theoretically imaginable - that this can help to reveal previously unknown locations. To no avail...
Preliminary conclusions:
1) "pre-scanning" works as very effective "stopper" for Tip Offs (or either a very dedicated grind must be performed)
2) Scanned locations (on cool-down) - even without missions assigned - are also excluded from the TO pool for given commander.
Both sets of experiments were conducted in the Bubble, however I must admit that this check can be done much more easier in Colonia (@Ian Doncaster). I'll leave it for the next time...
o7

I found these generating most often when I was "over-allied," probably approaching what would be 150% rep. That was my usual way to get them to happen, at least, acting as if that was true; no negative rep after maxed allied.

Some of these do relate to Thargoids and Guardians.
But those mysterious strangers are all humans and tip offs are not about aliens. They are regular follow up missions. I think the category is highly misleading for newcomers.

The spoiler contains an example.... do not open if you want to find / scan Tip Off messages by yourself!

Corporate Data Log:
I know I shouldn't have looked but I did. Argent Incorporated were paying me a lot of money for my discretion but I just couldn't stop myself opening up that crate. Anyway, it wasn't high-end art I was transporting - unless high-end art is made by aliens nowadays! Whatever it is, it's not human and it sure don't look legal. Not sure what I'm gonna do with it yet, but I'm definitely not delivering it for the measly pittance they were originally paying me...

Just completed one. Took me to a medium security installation. Required the base run data point scan loop. Had to kill lots of skimmers and turrets in my srv. Incurred about 20k in bounties. Did not kill the ship attacking my srv and ship to avoid notoriety. Bounties easily cleared at nearby IF in anarchy. 3 million data cache turn in payout. I received the tip off after completing multiple data courier missions during the fed reputation bonanza. The targeted site was imperial.

Having trouble screenshotting the final message with the menu 2 bug.

Essentially, it concerns corporate espionage and assassination.

I really do like these spontaneous missions, wish they were chained and actually built a relationship with a shady npc.

Just completed one. Took me to a medium security installation. Required the base run data point scan loop. Had to kill lots of skimmers and turrets in my srv. Incurred about 20k in bounties. Did not kill the ship attacking my srv and ship to avoid notoriety. Bounties easily cleared at nearby IF in anarchy. 3 million data cache turn in payout. I received the tip off after completing multiple data courier missions during the fed reputation bonanza. The targeted site was imperial.

I really do like these spontaneous missions, wish they were chained and actually built a relationship with a shady npc.
Just to be precise - in order to "complete" (if this word applicable to them) Tip Off mission on a planetary base you don't need to run the full data access points (DAP) chain scan mini-game - scan of the single "core data terminal" (CDT) is sufficient to obtain the end message log. Yes, you can get the same result scanning the full chain of DAP's, however this is an alternative method (and I'm not even sure that it is an intended one). In most (if not all) cases CDT can be scanned without any bounties.

But those mysterious strangers are all humans and tip offs are not about aliens. They are regular follow up missions. I think the category is highly misleading for newcomers.
You are right, mysterious strangers are all humans (kind of). And logs do not contain direct mentions of either Thargoids or Guardians (or any other of an alien kind). However most of the original texts were created back in 2015-2016 (with the exception of the corporate data logs and may be some rare log groups from the crash sites, not sure) and, as I'm sure now, at that time the goal of the significant part of them was exactly to advertise the upcoming content (i.e. Thargoids, Guardians and other phenomena) so while not directly naming them they do contain a fairly unambiguous hints. Only some of the original English logs has been changed since then, but mostly grammar/wording - cosmetics - than the content.

Can only agree that now the "lore" subforum is more appropriate - as Tip Off are already the part of the game history.

PS. About newcomers. Most of the logs in one of f the relatively rare group contain exact dates + 1 CDL do contain year of the events (and in fact they are absent anywhere else).

Last edited:

PS: Can you share the Tip Off location and the system you've received it? Or submit it to the spreadsheet?
About the screenshot of the log - 24 different logs from planetary bases are known, and honestly I don't believe that there are any more still remaining unknown.

PS: Can you share the Tip Off location and the system you've received it? Or submit it to the spreadsheet?
About the screenshot of the log - 24 different logs from planetary bases are known, and honestly I don't believe that there are any more still remaining unknown.
As I recall, the tip off location was Ochosi. I could be mistaken - I was running quite a few data missions at the time in the area.
Screenshot2.png

Sreenshot1.png

o7
is it possible to receive the same job/tip off ?
i deleted one about "HIP 1742 B 5 a" (already done a few weeks ago) without checking if it was for the same installation (Rothfuss Depot)...

o7
is it possible to receive the same job/tip off ?
i deleted one about "HIP 1742 B 5 a" (already done a few weeks ago) without checking if it was for the same installation (Rothfuss Depot)...
Yes, if previous is expired and/or checked (supposedly after some cooldown period)

Hi there,

Lots of interesting theories.

Just wondering if you'd like to know the answer to this or if you'd prefer it to remain a mystery that you can speculate about and continue to investigate?

Thanks,
Dom

Any follow-up on this? Or was the decision that the majority wouldn't want it to be "spoiled"?

Hi there,

Seemed like at least a significant portion didn't want to know the answer, at least not yet, so I've not said anything further.

Thanks,
Dom

It would be good to know if the Server Bank bug is a) being addressed and b) does the bug stop progress towards full resolution, i.e. is the info supposedly in the server banks relevant?

BUT - No, I don't think full reveal of the "Mysterious Stranger" by you is needed.

Top Bottom