iPad client

Guys,
Not sure this has been posted before.....

With the current generation of iPad being so powerful and capable why doesn't Frontier explore the option of a native iPad client? With the new development advances made by Apple this would have the added advantage of bringing back the Mac capability along with Apple TV capability with very little work.

I currently play on PS4 with remote access while travelling via iPad but seems a missed opportunity if this is not looked at.

Thanks

Not sure that is a wise guess decision based on the number of iPads in circulation!

It's not about numbers, its about tech compatibility and Apple have removed/don't support the libraries/tech that Elite needs to run. That's why it's not on mac any more.

Last edited:

Lestat

Banned
Guys,

With the current generation of iPad being so powerful and capable why doesn't Frontier explore the option of a native iPad client? With the new development advances made by Apple this would have the added advantage of bringing back the Mac capability along with Apple TV capability with very little work.

I currently play on PS4 with remote access while travelling via iPad but seems a missed opportunity if this is not looked at.

Thanks
See Apple does not support the newer OpenGL or OpenCL and only runs a program called Metal for games 32-bit games.

yep controlls would runs the same as a console, the same way Console and stream link users use Dual Stick emulation to touch screen... on mobiles and tablets... for remote gameplay...
643x0w.png

You can add a physical controller if you wish but with Apple it has to be a MFI licensed controller...
The Slow stuff in ED is easy via touch screen... Trading cargo, mining, exploration... They are slow so are easy to do... killing ships via touch screen yep no thank you. Uses physical controlls for that...

Lestat

Banned
yep controlls would runs the same as a console, the same way Console and stream link users use Dual Stick emulation to touch screen... on mobiles and tablets... for remote gameplay...
643x0w.png

You can add a physical controller if you wish but with Apple it has to be a MFI licensed controller...
The Slow stuff in ED is easy via touch screen... Trading cargo, mining, exploration... They are slow so are easy to do... killing ships via touch screen yep no thank you. Uses physical controlls for that...
How do you run the game on a system that only 32 Bit while Elite runs on 64 bit?

What are you on about the post Directly above my last post Is about How touch screen controlls can controll a Mouse and Keyboard game they don't they use a Dual stick controller emulation which sucks for fast/combat..
You Don't qoute people when the post your replying to is directly above your post..

Lestat

Banned
What are you on about the post Directly above my last post Is about How touch screen controlls can controll a Mouse and Keyboard game they don't they use a Dual stick controller emulation which sucks for fast/combat..
You Don't qoute people when the post your replying to is directly above your post..
Why don't you read the main post? The person asking to have Elite Dangerous Run on an Ipad that run 32-bit program Then we have you on a different topic all together rambling about Controllers running off an Ipad. If you did a little research about Tablet and controllers. You would have found a few links. Elite Dangerous touchpad control and My custom iPad keyboard for elite dangerous!

Why don't you read the main post? The person asking to have Elite Dangerous Run on an Ipad that run 32-bit program Then we have you on a different topic all together rambling about Controllers running off an Ipad. If you did a little research about Tablet and controllers. You would have found a few links. Elite Dangerous touchpad control and My custom iPad keyboard for elite dangerous!
I read the main post all hes talking about is that he runs PS4 remote play app... which is a streaming solution that coded by SIEE not Apple or fdev...
Ipads made after 2013 A7 chipset are 64 bit processors.... Not 32 bit...
Your custom apps will NOT work with the PS4 or Xbox console version of Elite dangerous ether only PC Hardware that people don't want to waste money on thats what they get Consoles for and why they use Tablets not tower PCs...

Lestat

Banned
I read the main post all hes talking about is that he runs PS4 remote play app... which is a streaming solution that coded by SIEE not Apple or fdev...
Ipads made after 2013 A7 chipset are 64 bit processors.... Not 32 bit...
64 bit hardware been out for years. I'm talking about apple softwere which is 32 bit. Look it up. The op talking about apple product. But apple dose not support OpenGL.

Last edited:
Guys,

Thanks

The biggest hurdle is that Apple decided to not support OpenGL, instead they focused on their own Metal framework. We can talk about how good or bad Metal is vs OpenGL vs DirectX etc. that is not really the point here.

We already know that OSX version of Elite got axed due missing features needed by Elite and that FDev seems very reluctant to spend the time to support Metal. And this most likely comes down to the basic principle of how many players are on the platform and if it is worth the effort to create a specific client for those players?

Taking the above into account, then it is very unlikely that it would make any good business reason for FDev to actually spend the resources to create an ipad version, as the expected customers to buy and play Elite on that platform would be even more limited than those players who played on OSX.
You stated that you mainly play Elite on your PS4, and would want to have this for when you are travelling. Ontop of this we have not even addressed the extra hassles with how to control the ship using the ipad alone, so now we get into the realm of bringing extra stuff along with you like a gamepad controller and/or keyboard/mouse... further limiting the usable potential playerbase...

Frontier is unwilling to provide support for a platform that doesnt have the necessary software modules to support the game. Which is well within reason.

Besides apple doesn't deserve to have a game like elite on their platform with all of their scamtastic anti-consumer buisness practices.
I still havent forgotten when apple tried to sue people for repairing apple products. Which is why the right to repair bill got passed.

Apple is only popular because of the number of people that dont know the first thing about an electronic product.

Last edited:

Lestat

Banned
Frontier is unwilling to provide support for a platform that doesnt have the necessary software modules to support the game. Which is well within reason.

Besides apple doesn't deserve to have a game like elite on their platform with all of their scamtastic anti-consumer buisness practices.
I still havent forgotten when apple tried to sue people for repairing apple products. Which is why the right to repair bill got passed.

Apple is only popular because of the number of people that dont know the first thing about an electronic product.
I wish I could rep you twice. But oh well.

Top Bottom