Iron Man Mode?

Elite should have an Iron Man Mode for those who have reached Elite in Combat Only.

Qualifier: Elite Combat Rating.

You can join, but you risk it all. If you die, you start from scratch. Your current CMDR name becomes a registered NPC name in the game forever.

If you die, you start from scratch, from your original birth starport, with a loaner sidewinder and a few credits.

Then the title of Elite will mean something, and if you reach Elite in Iron Man Mode, you get your CMDR Name in the credits, and from then on, you are immortal in-game.

How many of you would go for the ultimate title of "Elite, Iron-Man"...

Elite should have an Iron Man Mode for those who have reached Elite in Combat Only.

Qualifier: Elite Combat Rating.

You can join, but you risk it all. If you die, you start from scratch. Your current CMDR name becomes a registered NPC name in the game forever.

If you die, you start from scratch, from your original birth starport, with a loaner sidewinder and a few credits.

Then the title of Elite will mean something, and if you reach Elite in Iron Man Mode, you get your CMDR Name in the credits, and from then on, you are immortal in-game.

How many of you would go for the ultimate title of "Elite, Iron-Man"...
I wouldn't recommend it. That's how I play anyway - clearing save after a death - and it's a pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, +1 to you. But no one knows of your sacrifice here would be my point. No credit at all.
I was going to point out that I don't deserve credit when the reset happens because I failed. But yeah, I guess I can imagine someone wanting to make a bit of a fuss if they don't fail. If that's something they find fun then that's cool, but that'd be the important point: it's still a game and it still has to be fun or you're not doing it right.

But if it's optional... 🤷‍♀️

(PS: I'm trying to learn not to do the reset thing because it really has impacted my enjoyment of the game. I'm doing better, though: the last time I reset was last month, and the last time I got blown up was a couple of weeks ago, so yay. 😁)

I play Iron man with my second account.
I only bought a second account because I'd wiped my save in my primary account many many times and wanted to actually make some progress, maybe rank up, earn enough to get a large ship (never really got past a Type 6 or an ASP) and get/keep permits or RNGineering progress.

As an option available when starting out it might be a good idea, though one I would be unlikely to take. As an option available only after reaching Elite it isn't as impressive.

I would definitely not be in favour of an NPC flying around using my name though. An entry in the Codex or Pilots Handbook would be better.

I do this already - OCD obout any insurance claim number other than 0 is my reason. 🙋‍♂️
Same here. Game got easier when SRV deaths stopped registering :)

I do not see why game needs special mode (although they did consider the idea in the DDF). Myself, and clearly plenty of others do it already.
Oh, and real pilots play iron man mode in open only.

Interestingly enough, for me - the rebuy screen holds no fear - but that pre-flight controls check, man I hate that.

Simon

Same here. Game got easier when SRV deaths stopped registering :)

I do not see why game needs special mode (although they did consider the idea in the DDF). Myself, and clearly plenty of others do it already.
Oh, and real pilots play iron man mode in open only.

Interestingly enough, for me - the rebuy screen holds no fear - but that pre-flight controls check, man I hate that.

Simon
As for the pre-flight contols check, you can turn that off in Options, or were you just joking around?

It would be a nice addition to have that option when first registering the game for those who like the honesty of "I died, reset".

Maybe a revamp of CQC, where as long as your still alive, you get credit and can play again with your kill score and rank, renaming it course.

They don't even sell CQC any more, and if you got it with the game purchase, you can still play it.

I wish they would take the CQC scoring out of Elite because it's pretty much a dead piece of software that not many have or are interested in.

I do this already - OCD obout any insurance claim number other than 0 is my reason. 🙋‍♂️
That's exactly my issue. That and the fact that being blown up and thrown into hard vacuum light-years (all right: even light-seconds or minutes) from anywhere means that you die. Never mind Remlok: nobody's going to find you; nobody's going to patch up the probably massive heat, compression or acceleration injuries you've sustained from being in the middle of an exploding starship. You just die.

But, I remember talking to a friend about it a little while ago who plays different types of games but knows I'm into ED, and I mentioned this little hangup of mine, and he in turn mentioned it to his daughter who's also a keen gamer, and she just said, "Doesn't she know games are meant to be fun?"

And I can't deny she's right, so like I said I'm trying to persuade myself out of it. But I can't look at the stats screen; I just can't.

As for the pre-flight contols check, you can turn that off in Options, or were you just joking around?
Unfortunately you can't turn it off. When you clear save and start again as a new commander, the preflight is set back to on and you have to go through it the first time and no matter how well you've learned it and can run through the sequence without really thinking about it, it's still remarkably frustrating.

Paul_Crowther

Community Manager
Staff member
It's an interesting idea. I've never personally been a fan of iron man modes in games as I tend not to be great at most of them but I know that there are others who love the whole 'Git gud' style of gaming.

It's an interesting idea. I've never personally been a fan of iron man modes in games as I tend not to be great at most of them but I know that there are others who love the whole 'Git gud' style of gaming.
For the record I absolutely hate the 'git gud' style of games. In my case it's purely a psychological hangup because someone decided to put a visible indicator in the stats telling me how many times I should've died.

Not sure where the DDF forum has gone :(

At any rate, the original idea was proposed by myself a very long time ago - anyone could select it during commander creation, and to enforce it I requested a minor tweak to the game:
  • You are only instanced (so it's like a hidden private group) with other IM players
  • You can't swap groups. Always in 'open' (or rather, Iron Man open)
  • Upon death you are removed from the IM group.
That's it - no other game consideration was required; no special building around the IM players - if there's a glitch and you die - hard luck. The reason for enforcing the group is simple - in all games, hardcore and softcore are incompatible play styles. Both have different agenda's and attitudes towards the game.

Sadly FD didn't see value in this, and here we are.

While I did play ED, I used to do self-forced IM .. last count was 13 resets, final one was after slamming into a planet. C'est la vie.

Oh I abhor that "git gut" nonsense. I don't play "iron man" as part of a urinating contest, it is mainly the dislike of seeing an insurance claim and partly, like Nihila above, for realism as the magic space suit is one piece of handwavium too far for me. ;) Of course the fact that I don't play E D as a space-shooter is a major deciding factor too.

It is slightly a urinating contest let's be honest, for me at least. (hence the Open only and the fact I mention it a lot)

Ultimately it's sth we can do in game anyway with our own house rules.

Hello Cmdr Rom,

Last time I tried turning these off in options It still ran for the 1st tale off. Iust confess I probably have not tried for a couple of years.

I think I might explode (pun intended) if it let's you turn them off now!

Simon