Is a Fleet Carrier even useful for carrying a fleet anymore?

While everyone is focused on the definitely worse situation in Colonia, where Carriers simply cannot move at all unless they spend hours mining per jump, I feel that the repeated comment of “At least in the Bubble you can buy it” is overlooking the fact that, at current prices, there doesn't seem top be a use for personal Fleet Carriers in the Bubble.

Let’s recap a bit: either as a stratagem to make upkeep seem more palatable after “graciously agreeing” to lower costs, or because the designers have never been in the same zipcode as a person actually playing the game, FDev originally came out with a certain planned budgetary distribution for Fleet Carriers. It took about five minutes for people to crunch the numbers and realize that the things would serve virtually no purpose at those costs. Fleet Carriers failed at even the most rudimentary function of carrying your fleet, given that it was both cheaper and faster to have your ships transported individually.

So they lowered the costs. Fleet Carriers launched with a slew of the expected bugs and remarkably little polish, but at the very least these giant metal penises fulfilled some basic functions, most significantly allowing you to have your whole fleet all neatly arranged in one place, which you could then move together for a perfectly fair price.

And yes, “fair”. We never had “cheap” Tritium, we head “cheaper” Tritium. Let’s say you’re jumping around the Bubble, and for simplicity’s sake let’s assume a distance of 250LY. That’s about 50 tons of the stuff (again, simplifying by not also factoring weight). At 4k per ton that’s was 200,000 credits. A full tank would round to about 4 million, for 20 jumps. To that of course you add the 10-20 million per week for maintenance plus repairs. I pay 10 million a week for my installed modules, meaning fuel was an extra 40% of costs if I could make a full tank last a week.

That was fine. That was within the scope of what made sense to pay for the convenience of having all my stuff together, and being able to engineer ships for combat while disregarding jump range. I liked that.

Then FDev screwed the pooch with LTDs, and in their haste to kill the gold rush, did what they usually do and implemented something without thinking of its wider repercussions. So now the cheapER Tritium is impossible to get unless you’re super lucky.
Let’s say a ton goes for 40k now (and that’s being optimistic) and revisit those numbers.

Wages and Maintenance: 10 million/week.
Fuel: 40 Million/week.

At 2 million PER JUMP (still assuming you’re taking conservative, 250ly jumps) a Fleet Carrier that moves around enough to justify its own existence will cost FOUR TIMES its maintenance budget in fuel only. Jumping once at half distance costs the same as the reward for killing a Cyclops, or slightly less than an average Elite mission. For reference, with the modules I have installed, that is higher than the original planned expenses for Fleet Carriers. That is, the ridiculous ones from the first Beta that FDev slashed.

But mining!

No. That was not the sales pitch. They told us we could buy it. They made it buyable at reasonable prices even in the Beta. We had a nice calm month of stable prices that gave everyone the very reasonable assumption that these were the costs. These are effectively tacit promises that this is how it was meant to work, and it was under those assumptions that a lot of these carriers were bought. There was never a clear statement that the purchase of a carrier came with a mandatory hour of busywork per jump. That’s ANOTHER post-beta improvement (the reduction in time for jumps) that has now been slashed back, replacing wind-up time for mining time.

Just don’t jump so much!

Then there is no use for these things. 14~ million a week is a reasonable cost for the relative convenience of a Carrier. Almost three times that is not.

But you can make that money in-

I am playing WITH a Fleet Carrier, not playing TO HAVE a Fleet Carrier. The Carrier was ostensibly a tool meant to be used in the game, not the objective OF the game.

Telling me that I can make the money in a couple of profitable Massacre Missions that can be completed in 1.5-2 hours or so is simply another way of saying “You need to do busy work for 1.5-2 hours to even use your Carrier“. That’s a day’s game session gone exclusively into paying for fuel. It’s a chore, not a game.

The logical behavior is trying to avoid unnecessary chores, which brings me to crunch the numbers for how much it would cost to just move the ships individually, and realize that it’s cheaper do that. The Fleet Carrier thus becomes useless at carrying fleets.

So don’t use a Fleet Carrier, it’s not for you!

Thank you, Señor Strawman, you would be endearing if you didn’t have so many real life referents here ready to make these exact same arguments with complete honesty. First of all, none of these things were apparent or, indeed, even in the game when I bought it. The Carrier was very much a nice fit for my playstile when I dumped a fortune on it originally. I would like to know whether this sudden bait and switch is intended or not.

The other problem, you useless bootlicker, is that if your response to every issue in the game were to tell people to not use it or just not play the game, then all you’d have are abandoned features on which you dropped precious development resources and time only for them to be regularly used by naught but a miserable dozen players or so. But enough about CQC. The purpose of bringing attention to these problems is to seek a solution, which once in a blue moon FDev deign themselves to provide.

So, the question would be, are these prices final or not? Because if they are, I’d like to know sooner rather than later so that I can sell that now useless hunk of metal that can no longer fulfill its primary function. The bare minimum one should be able to expect is to know what conditions in the game are a bug, and which are a feature, so that we can make choices accordingly. Did FDev MEAN to drive Tririum prices through the roof and thus severely neuter the usability of Carriers, or is this just another screwup that we can hope might or may not be fixed somewhere within the next Maha Yuga?

Last edited:
They are expensive to fly around. I think I calculated 10 mil per jump once, roughly. I do use mine in a fleet capacity though, usually to pick up new players and set up a purchase order to give them credits. It takes several of us to do this, so yes, kind of use it like a fleet would. It's too expensive to fly around the bubble to visit engineers for example. And most trade loops I still don't need it for that. The carrier comes in most handy with friends.

My petsonal opinion: there are way too many Fleet Carriers, and every decommissioned one is a good one.

Yours, a useless bootlicker.
That you will tell to FDev at the end of financial year :D when sadden they will have no-arx sales ... or even better - refunds on carriers.

Idiots already bought all the paintjobs ; they may refund in game credits as support are known push-overs but you have no leverage , they already have the cash . 🧂
yes, but ...once arx refunded - they will not buy new arx, just spend existing + may decide to pause further donations to see what's going on.

Yeah, fleet carriers don't really have a point from what the name implies. There's no direct game reason to carry a fleet anywhere right now, other than a glorified taxi

As with the other thread, I'll only say this once because I don't own one and likely never will (can't invest billions, even when I can I can't do so on the premise that I must maintain it for millions even if not playing, which is fine), there's a perverse desire here for things that should be fun to be extremely slow and long winded and boring to compensate for that fun.

Like real life.

Quite a lot of things that could have been more fun were made less so to satisfy this peculiar perversion. I call it a perversion because this is a game and I find it perverse that so much good stuff in a game can be made "bleh" in the interests of making it "real" when said game is about space ships pew pew.

It's unique. And bizarre. But you'll get a ton of opposition and the premise will always be that your cheaper was actually "free" and that not everyone should be able to have fun, I mean er... Be able to jump to the other side of the galaxy or something, whatever. Er, go mine. Gitgud.

The same thing happened with ship transfers. Originally intended to be instant (huge QoL feature for casual players who may only have a short time to play each day), ended up being turned into a feature I'll maybe use once every few weeks and at a cost that seems arbitrarily high and that takes longer than the old method of hauler taxis in some cases... So, yeh... Guess I'll go make a cup of coffee while I wait 30 minutes for my ship... Amazing game play, so much fun.

It's popular to force good stuff into niches. Fun stuff. Fun stuff that already costs billions to get and millions a week (that you must pay forever, regardless of how much you play) that's made... More fun? By adding additional, relatively large overheads just to do what it's intended to do in the first place... Move stuff.

At a much slower pace than any previous option.

Common sense should dictate that fun is perhaps enough of a reason to have something in a computer game. Just seems to me that ED goes out of its way to make the fun stuff as non fun as possible whilst maintaining a strict control on just how much benefit you actually get for investing months or years into its progression structure.

So, good luck with your mission. I fear the odds are against you heavily.

If they keep buyable tritium cost and supply at the current state, it will probably be a major blow for the carrier thing.
And a major fail for frontier to the eyes of many players.

what can you spend those 40 mio per week on instead of fuel?

and what do you do with the 5+ bio you spend on your FC?

it's a bit like people saying "a class 6A fuelscoop isn't worth it." true that - you can fit a 6B, but what do you do with those 20 mio cr you save while out exploring?

of course, if there were other uses for 5 bio + 50 mio/week, discussing whether the price is too high compared to other stuff might make sense. but without that i can't really follow.

I was informed by reliable members of the forum that all issues you have with the FC are purely that it is "end game" content, and they are not for just anybody to own.

I now understand what they meant... Buy a FC and spend all your time prepping it rather than gaming.

I am joking of course. If you look closer through all the fields of moaners who want instant gratification, you will see lots of posts from commanders who have a FC and are using it to do many things in a manner they find most enjoyable.

TLDR: It all boils down to using the right tool for the right job in the right way.

If you want to explore in a FC you can, but be prepared to have to spend time fueling it. If you do not want to do that... Take a ship that can do it by refueling at a star.

Maybe a DBX with its super slooow scoop speed (thats humour again)

Transfer costs for ships are approximately 1% of value per 170 LY travelled.

170LY, assuming a "personal services" carrier - so no shipyard or outfitting for other people to use, but other services active - would cost you maybe 75t of fuel, which bought at normal 40k/tonne price would be about 3 million credits.

So your break-even price, where it's cheaper to use the carrier to move the ship than to pay for transfer, is when the total value of the assets being transferred is around 300 million credits. (So roughly, a single large ship, or a pair of high-end medium ships)

The carrier is also strictly faster than ship transfer over distances greater than about 90 LY, and can be faster for shorter jumps as well because you can send the fleet carrier ahead or even move it from somewhere else entirely, rather than having to reach the destination and then arrange the transfer.

Whether that's worth it or not probably depends on what ships you're moving, how many you have, whether the convenience of having them all always in one place near you beats the cost savings for just moving the one or two you need to a specific location, whether you generally stay in one place or regularly move from end to end of the bubble, etc. But I expect it works out as a good deal for a lot of players.

Deleted member 38366

D
When I was moving my own Carrier around the bubble, it ran on 45k/ton Tritium.

Essentially, it was a non-issue and the operating cost was truly minimal when compared to the convenience of having your entire fleet parked 15Mm from an Engineer within 15 Minutes.

Operating cost or Refueling it is only a factor if a CMDR purchased it without the needed buffer to cover these costs (Outfitting/Fuel).
That's fairly close to CMDRs buying a large Ship (Anaconda, Cutter, Corvette etc.) and then noticing that Outfitting costs need to be covered to make them truly useful.

By now, sufficient Information and tools are available to get a very good overview about both purchasing cost, Tritium prices and even required amounts of Tritium for long-range trips.
At least there shouldn't be any big surprises left.

BUT : some planning and preparation is needed and strongly recommended before purchasing a Carrier. I'd never recommend buying one on a whim and then figuring out what to do with it.

Fuel in the bubble is a non issue, you can still tanker up on cheap fuel to get around the bubble, just don't expect to be hauling more than around 80-100 tonnes max per trip (Turn off inara and station price reporting) For long range it needs to bought at 40k a tonne if you want to load huge amounts quickly.

A 500LY jump in the bubble costs me 145 tonnes of fuel, so nothing at all. Long range I need 17,000 tonnes to get Colonia and back with my fleet, using the nav computer I can get my entire fleet there in 17 hours. Cost to move my fleet to Colonia at 40cr/t - 280 million, so cheaper and faster than regular transfer by a huge amount. All that being said, it only works if you have a fairly large fleet and expensive ships.

I do think some people jump their Carriers around the Bubble more than they need to. For instance, when I was ranking-up an alt with the Empire at Ngalinn/Mainani, there were a lot of Carriers around, even though this involves data-courier missions between outposts and only requires one (preferably Small) ship - so why bring a fleet? My alt did have a Carrier, but didn't bring it, there was no need.

However, my alt's Courier did have an engineered FSD with a Guardian booster. Without those, getting out to the periphery of the Bubble without a Carrier would have been more difficult. So there could be an issue with players who went for the Carrier before unlocking FSD engineering and Guardian tech: their ships might have such a poor jumprange that it's easier to jump the Carrier instead.

On the subject of ship transfers, mine would generally be cheaper, because I don't transfer expensive ships: I transfer cheap ones, which I use to fetch the expensive ones. However, I'm prepared to pay for the convenience of having my entire fleet handy without shuttling to and fro.

Though I agree witht OP's general point, that Carriers are supposed to be an asset rather than a liability.

Top Bottom