Is anyone who's participated in a past beta doing the next one?

Frontier again are withholding exactly what is possible to change based on feedback, and probably also what bugs they know are in there already that are possible to fix. They've even done the worst possible thing and asked us to provide feedback on everything.

I'm simply not falling for this again.

• It takes about 20 mins to document a well thought out feedback post or bug report.
  • Frontier simply don't communicate to anyone positive or negative during beta testing unless its the most extreme sensitive cases. Not even a thank you for bug reports, complete, 100% ignored silence. Did they even make a dozen posts / communication on beta feedback during the last beta?
  • Last beta i was the noob, and people were saying things over in dangerous discussion like this was normal.

Well there was something odd, during betas, and new features, David Braben himself shows up and writes one post.. on reddit.. and paige used to respond to anything on twitter within 2 hours.. so for all you new people excited to go in (as you should be) and think im just a jaded old timer, if you get ignored, what you have to do is post it with the right subject on reddit, put in an embarrassing meme to get 2000 upvotes, and personally tweet david brabens twitter account if you even want them to know you raised it.

Certainly, the issue tracker and forums function more as a pacification mechanic. Also if you only are on the forums, 100 pages of discussion is the magic number for a dev will likely show up and give a legalese response, before going away again and continuing to ignore the issue.

Just saying thats how it is.

They do like silence, ever since Elite Dangerous is not thier only game.

Still, if some ppl makes feedbacks or make lenghty bug reports, there is always more chance that these issues "might" get fixed rather if there would be no feedback at all.

On other hand, If I myself would encounter some issue during my beta playin, If there would be no feedback, I would not know if its common issue or not... something along that too.

If Beta FC's stay at 5b, I won't be. I can't effectively test using or visiting other FCs without that information.

Using, because I can't buy one.
Visiting, because I can't verify expected behaviour of other FCs.

For example, if I go to an FC and see Cutters selling for -100cr... I can't tell if that's a valid price or not, without being able to validate whether or not I can set the price of a cutter to -100cr in my own FC, and what that interface presents.

I've read this twice and I still have no idea what you're saying or asking.

Ahh the old white knight confuddle trick. Here you are in a thread that you know you should be responding too, its a huge bad smell hq alarms went off, but couldn't find anything in the text that you could have a go at. Someone else complained about this the other day and, yeah sorry to you too.

To answer the title, yes.

I have taken part in all betas since I paid my five pounds some years ago, I might not have high expectations of finding and helping to fix something important on my own, but I am sure that if no one took part things would be worse.

The system certainly hasn't worked well lately. It would be great if they'd roll out some more streamlined reporting mechanics, as participation in betas can feel a bit pointless if major issues happily wander through to live despite plentiful reporting.

Combine that with the possibility that the majority of testers might not even be able to get their hands on an FC, nor will we potentially see one as they might be rare, the beta seems a bit pointless.

I had hoped they'd cut the price to 500 million, or maybe just given us tester accounts with a 5 - 10 billion credit line. If not, hopefully FD will run a few carriers and tell us where they are parked.

:D S

Frontier again are withholding exactly what is possible to change based on feedback, and probably also what bugs they know are in there already that are possible to fix. They've even done the worst possible thing and asked us to provide feedback on everything.

I'm simply not falling for this again.

• It takes about 20 mins to document a well thought out feedback post or bug report.
  • Frontier simply don't communicate to anyone positive or negative during beta testing unless its the most extreme sensitive cases. Not even a thank you for bug reports, complete, 100% ignored silence. Did they even make a dozen posts / communication on beta feedback during the last beta?
  • Last beta i was the noob, and people were saying things over in dangerous discussion like this was normal.

Well there was something odd, during betas, and new features, David Braben himself shows up and writes one post.. on reddit.. and paige used to respond to anything on twitter within 2 hours.. so for all you new people excited to go in (as you should be) and think im just a jaded old timer, if you get ignored, what you have to do is post it with the right subject on reddit, put in an embarrassing meme to get 2000 upvotes, and personally tweet david brabens twitter account if you even want them to know you raised it.

Certainly, the issue tracker and forums function more as a pacification mechanic. Also if you only are on the forums, 100 pages of discussion is the magic number for a dev will likely show up and give a legalese response, before going away again and continuing to ignore the issue.

Just saying thats how it is.
Their number one priority is to test the FCs with real players to be sure they don't have a Broken Game situation like the last time. Remember how much broke ?

The rest is background data for deciding priorities for bug fixes.

No. Unless FCs end up tying in to some quality future content, I see FCs following in the footsteps of MC and CQC. So I couldn't care less if they're bug-riddled. And even if I were excited for FCs, FDev's lack of communication would also make Beta participation a nope for me.

I've read this twice and I still have no idea what you're saying or asking.

If you didn't understand the issue presented with the first two sentences, it is your understanding of Beta testing that is entirely lacking.

Didn't do the last BETA, there are players out there that do a better job than me in ferreting out the bugs.

Right now, the two-hour cool down is a deal breaker, can barely play for 1 to 2 hour stretches as it is. I'm certainly not going to spend it on a countdown.

Fleet Carriers are aimed at cooperative play, however, how many CMDRs actually do that on a consistent basis. Fleet Carrier characteristics should allow its owner to be able to use it without other players participating. The maintenance part of it is too similar to merit decay in PP which, for me, is one of the biggest turn-offs in the game.

So we'll see what the release form will end being.

Last edited:
The only reason we have a beta is to appease the open letter crowd. I don’t believe FDev want our feedback. I think they have a 98% final decision on a feature by the time they announce it.

Yeah from the beyond chapter 4 beta, unless they have changed im pretty sure thats exactly what they do. Hence the question of what the 2% is.

You feel so dumb wasting time in good faith when theyve formally planned not to return it. One can only imagine why they keep this from us.

Hey maybe theyll tell later. Happy to be wrong for greater good as always.

The only reason we have a beta is to appease the open letter crowd. I don’t believe FDev want our feedback.

shocking news!

put in an embarrassing meme

this one is pretty apt:

S2yr6rD.png

credit: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...earned-some-carrier-memes.540468/post-8366650

Yep, I'll be there. As usual many bugs wont be fixed but at least we're not going to get those show stopping bugs the beta-less releases produced.

Good reply. There's that at least.

Geez we play in such comforting conditions don't we. Gazelles in africa are probably less threatened (if getting eaten by a lion was a game).

I’ve participated in every Beta since the first one, but this time I’ll probably mainly check to see if there’s any unannounced bug fixes or old bugs reintroduced, out of the ones (mainly VR related) that I’ve been keeping my eyes on.

I’ll try out some of the “Guest” requests as per the Beta forum even though I doubt I’ll ever get a FC (far too spread-sheety for my liking) or use someone else’s.

Yes, I've participated to varying degrees in every beta the game has ever had.

Actually Frontier has communicated to beta testers during and after one or maybe two of the betas and I view them as being the only successful betas they've ever had. One of the betas which was very productive was the one which overhauled engineering. During the beta we turned something which would have been worse than the original engineering mess into something is, as a whole, much much better. During that beta Frontier listened better than they ever have. It was a low bar to beat, but I credit Sandro Sammarco for that. Maybe he was replaced for listening too much. I miss him!

I hope Frontier will listen on this beta and make at least a few changes, but I don't have my hopes up.

If Frontier doesn't make at least a few collectively requested changes this time, I may start treating then like the Disney Starwars team and no longer give a crap!

Last edited:
Top Bottom