Is ED played by mostly "Old Ducks" like me?

I try to avoid creepy behavior on Playstation.... It's actually one reason I'm way less social with my alt account, because an old man pretending to be a young woman (I roleplay my alt CMDR as Duck's daughter using my wife's PSN account) online is a common tactic used by predators.

This also means that kids may lie about their age / gender if directly asked, as parents often instruct our kids to do for their own safety.

And reality is, I'm actually more interested in how old all YOU are, since this thread was inspired by the "ED is better than Elite on Commodore 64, so it's good enough for me!" stance so many in this forum seem to take. You're the ones I blame for EBL, LOL ;)
I'm 48 if that's what you're asking and I think that Elite was actually the first game (or one of) that I cracked, and that got me into programming. Lenslock was going on my nerves.

I have a Timex Sinclair, a Commadore 64, a Commadore 128, an Apple II, a Tandy TRS-80, an Amiga, a TI-99-4A with Expansion Box, and an IBM 8086 in my garage. I played Elite on most of them. I'll either start a museum, use them for retirement funds, or put them in a time capsule for posterity. Most of these were made before you were born or ever heard of Elite.

Today, I have not seen any improvements in PC computer technology other than SSD's or video cards. Most these kids can do today is put lights in the box, and call it an upgrade.

My current computer chassis is twelve years old, a Lian-Li V1200 Black, all aluminum chassis which still fits everything made today.

How old am I now?

o7....

This is art now

I have a Timex Sinclair, a Commadore 64, a Commadore 128, an Apple II, a Tandy TRS-80, an Amiga, a TI-99-4A with Expansion Box, and an IBM 8086 in my garage. I played Elite on most of them. I'll either start a museum, use them for retirement funds, or put them in a time capsule for posterity. Most of these were made before you were born or ever heard of Elite.

Today, I have not seen any improvements in PC computer technology other than SSD's or video cards.
I can simulate all of these on my $35 (or even the $5 version) Raspberry Pi. Now that's progress!

Speaking of, I should try OOLite on it :D

Born in 1970. Been there to play all the stuff; Zx spectrum, commodore Amiga, crappy Pcs - 286, 386, 486, pentium and more.
Played the original Elite on zx, knights of the Sky was my best on Amiga, Pc took me through Wing Commander series, Privateer, etc...
Had great fun times with Freelancer, Freespace (oh my Gods! <3<3<3), the X series. Now, it's mostly Elite. Space is confy here, silent and huge.
Totally forgot about Knights of the Sky... I loved that game. Played the hell out of it.
My first experience with VR was in London at the Trocadero centre (early 90s) and there was a 4 player set up, each with cockpits and hotas controls, and the game was pretty much Knights of the sky in vr. I only had enough money to play for about half n hour but the grin on my face was priceless... Girlfriend at the time wasnt impressed lol.

Freespace (oh my Gods! <3<3<3)

I loved FS, FS2 and the modded versions. Cap ship battles in FS were brilliant. Blowing great holes in each other while everybody else tries to bomb/defend them, rather than the fancy light show we get in ED.

And for those that haven't, DO try it with VR! Until you start playing it in VR, you're still peeking through the small window into the universe.
54 here. VR is more than I ever imagined Elite could be like when I was peering at b/w wireframe on the ZX Spectrum back in 1986. Back then we had to use our imagination a great deal. Now, in VR, it is hard to imagine anything better as it all feels so real. Same with Spectrum Psion Flight Simulator --> XPlane in VR.

Kids today, eh? No idea how lucky they are. Now, where did I leave my driving gogs?

54 here. VR is more than I ever imagined Elite could be like when I was peering at b/w wireframe on the ZX Spectrum back in 1986. Back then we had to use our imagination a great deal. Now, in VR, it is hard to imagine anything better as it all feels so real. Same with Spectrum Psion Flight Simulator --> XPlane in VR.

Kids today, eh? No idea how lucky they are. Now, where did I leave my driving gogs?
If you're on the Rift, have you tried Lone Echo?

I've played ED since alpha release.
Have played earlier versions in my day on an amiga.
The game aim is much the same, but wow, the graphics are so much better. Now it looks like you imagined back then.
... Actually better.
Not keen on some new bits, latest Fss (?), squadrons or powerplay. But generally it's pretty darn good.
👍

I loved FS, FS2 and the modded versions. Cap ship battles in FS were brilliant. Blowing great holes in each other while everybody else tries to bomb/defend them, rather than the fancy light show we get in ED.
Later, I played the wing commander series in a mod of freespace 2. It was a blast! The cutscenes were missing, but everything else... woah!

Top Bottom