Is gaining INFLUENCE of any use to players who don't care to muck about with the BGS?

I have so far ignored influence.

But I seem to get some small amount with pretty much every mission I turn in...

Is there any reason I should care one way or the other?
Any practical benefit?

Last edited:
Influence increases your standing with local factions. The higher your standing is, the better the pay and quantity of missions they offer.

Thanks guys!

I guess, if the influence is for the minor faction you're doing missions for, it will help to keep that faction in power and maybe in boom state or some such...

Reputation gains you better paying missions and helps you get rep with fed/empire/alliance, helps you get ranking mission etc. It can be useful to you.

Influence is purely a BGS manipulation thing/currency, so like some said you can help sklhk keep their spot over sl;fj or help hl;gkj take over ptyiy in system thtwl. It's used to try and manipulate the BGS but generally you need a dedicated group to do so.

Last edited:
I was thinking influence, I was just dead wrong about it! I've even been taking influence rewards on missions when trying to work local faction standing up to allied...

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Factions For others that are new or simply got it turned around ;)

BTW There's several different factions in each system so if you gain "rep" with a minor faction that happens to be aligned withe the Feds it helps you increase your fed ranking% same if the faction your getting rep from is empire or alliance etc.

It something to keep in mind as you skim the mission board as some faction can be independent and you have to actually choose which factions mission you want to see by clicking on that faction, on the left side of the mission board.

Last edited:
I was thinking influence, I was just dead wrong about it! I've even been taking influence rewards on missions when trying to work local faction standing up to allied...
Ouch, you must have been swearing up and down for how long it takes...

The good news is, that its not that lengthy anymore, if you do take the reputation rewards... I did only 7 donations, 1 data mission and 3 procurement missions in Anotchadiae to get allied and the Isinor permit a couple of weeks ago. Shure a lot faster than it used to be! Same goes for Naval ranks - there's probably never been a better time to do your ranks since the game went live...

I'm really just waiting till FD declares the speedy standing/rank gains to be yet another unintended mistake...

Last edited:
So, what would happen if all players completely ceased laboring to alter the influence of factions?

Would there be no more wars/famines/whatevers happening?
Or is all that stuff going to continue anyway?

As far as I am aware... Nothing different would happen. The BGS will continue to tick along as it's designed to. For whatever reason, FDev have decided that to fit Braben's vision of a dynamic universe, the BGS is to operate towards equilibrium at all times and face diminishing returns towards player actions, despite the feats a group of dedicated CMDRs are capable of, both in game and in-lore.

Last edited:
So, what would happen if all players completely ceased laboring to alter the influence of factions?

I think but not 100% sure that famine and outbreak and bust do have passive increases

Influence moves the influence of the minor factions...which in turn affects the Background Simulation (BGS). These changes bring about things like wars, civil wars, economic booms and busts, etc.

These changes affect what you have available to do within the system you are affecting...if you do a lot of trade missions for a single faction...you can create an economic boom.

If you are bouncing around place to place...then your affects are marginal....BUT if you focus on playing for a particular faction...your focus could make things happen in the system.

Be forewarned...the BGS is a rabbit hole! Once you fall into it, unlike Alice, you can become so comfortable...it becomes your game life, forever! If you have more interest head over to the BGS subforum...but like the warning about the story of the poor Baudelaire children states "Look Away!":

As far as I am aware... Nothing different would happen. The BGS will continue to tick along as it's designed to. For whatever reason, FDev have decided that to fit Braben's vision of a dynamic universe, the BGS is to operate towards equilibrium at all times and face diminishing returns towards player actions, despite the feats a group of dedicated CMDRs are capable of, both in game and in-lore.

Pretty much Salem has it. The systems would relax back to their 'untouched states'. Without any interaction with a player....the systems have a 'normal state'....if players remove themselves...less things occur.

Last edited:
The changes in influence affect states. States affect mission choices. So... putting a faction in WAR gives you more combat related content, outbreak gives you medicine shipping missions and untold wealth etc etc

Pretty much Salem has it. The systems would relax back to their 'untouched states'. Without any interaction with a player....the systems have a 'normal state'....if players remove themselves...less things occur.

Almost correct. The two things that would continue to happen are Famine and Outbreak.

FD confirmed a while back that they put in a "Natural increase" in the occurrance of Famine and Outbreak that is (typically) countered fairly easily by player activity... but with no interaction, factions will eventually hit a famine/outbreak state.

This was because famine/outbreak were (literally) not happening anywhere in the galaxy for a while.

It's worth noting that for no effects from players to occur in the galaxy entirely, all activity would have to cease.

Trading, bounty hunting, destroying ships, literally everything contributes to the BGS in some way, shape or form.

So... putting a faction in WAR gives you more combat related content,

Except that's horribly, horribly bugged.

Influence is a stir in background sim, and it happens like it or not. In fact 'mucking' about BGS isn't really a feature, it is certainly not seen as something you should easily do (that's why C&P changes covered lot of BGS).

Influence is a stir in background sim, and it happens like it or not. In fact 'mucking' about BGS isn't really a feature, it is certainly not seen as something you should easily do (that's why C&P changes covered lot of BGS).
The C&P changes changed practically nothing about the way I play, except that I have to go home via my nearest interstellar factor to clean my ship of the small bounties one picks up.

It did change the game fairly significantly (but not fundamentally if they're happy to have a dedicated "criminal" ship) for the sysauth-killing-underminers, but that was easily countered. Killing sysauth was ridiculously easy anyway after 2.1 dropped.

Finally, there are a lot of misconceptions floating around regarding the BGS. It suits the BGS-focussed groups not to disabuse people of those misconceptions, but should someone go to the BGS subforum and ask a question, they're practically guaranteed to get an informed answer quickly. I understand that it was never an original intent of the devs to have people "play" the BGS, but they've embraced the fact that people do.

Top Bottom