General / Off-Topic Is GeForce gtx 960 enough for that Game?about 200€

Hello. I Wanna buy the Msi GeForce gtx 960 4g. Is that enough for planet coaster in 1080p and 4x anti aliasing?

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I want to pay 200€ and not more! Or have you guys a better card for 200€??)

Last edited:
I am using a Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 with 2 GB and a i3-3220 Cpu on high settings and get a fairly solid 30 FPS. I will however be upgrading my CPU.

Planet Coaster Alpha Minimum System Requirements (might change since the game is in Alpha):

• CPU: Intel Core i5-2300 2.8GHz or AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz.
  • RAM: 8 GB System Memory.
  • GPU RAM: 2 GB Graphics Memory.
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 or AMD Radeon HD 7850.

The minimum nvidia GPU (which yours would be a nvidia just made by MSI) is a GeForce GTX 560. If you check -

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-960-vs-Nvidia-GTX-560/3165vs3155 you can compare the 960 with the 560 and it shows that the 960 is superior to the 560. However, they do go on to say:

The new GTX 960 is the third graphics card to feature Nvidia's Maxwell architecture. When the first two Maxwell cards were released back in September 2014 they completely re-shaped the GPU price/performance spectrum not only from Nvidia, but also AMD who were forced to slash prices by around 30%. Unfortunately the new GTX 960 isn't the game changer its predecessors were, and it's actually the weakest of the three Maxwell cards. Comparing the GTX 960 and 970 shows that the 970 is around 70% faster and a comparison of the GTX 960 and 980 shows that GTX 980 is almost exactly twice as fast as the 960. Of the three cards the GTX 970 offers the best bang for your buck, in-fact the GTX 970 is still one of best value cards available. That said, for gaming at 1080p or lower, the GTX 960 will allow decent frame rates at maximum settings for most games.

Here are some price comparisons (from amazon.com):

[h=1]MSI GAMING GTX 960 4GB - $238.57
[FONT=&quot]Gigabyte Geforce Gtx 970 4GB - $371.74
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Evga G4eforce Gtx980 - $615.56[/FONT][/h]
Hope that helps

Don't know if you already knew, but the gtx 1060 (the newer version of the 960) just released, and for about the same price. And you probably can't return your 960 if you already opened the box, yikes.

The problem being that the power supply might need to be changed depending on the power connectors required. I found that out the hard way when I upgraded to my 960.

Hm I talk about €. In Germany starts the lowest at 280€. But if you want a really good gtx 1060 than you have to pay near 350€. There must be a reason why some cards cost 250€. I want a quality product! And I hav me paid 220€ for the Msi gtx 960 4gb. Maybe in a few month i sale it and buy a better ones!

The 960 for the price is spot on. The 1060 is expensive all over Europe at the moment due to stock.

I would like to point out that the 1060 does not out perform the 980 in either stock or overclocked though. Yeah they are pretty close to each other.

Here is an overview of the levels that the 1060 compared to the 980 shows.

http://www.babeltechreviews.com/rx-480-vs-gtx-1060-vs-gtx-980-overclocked-showdown/3/

Bearing in mind the cheapest 1060 is £230 (270 euro)

cheapest 960 4G is £170 (200 euro)

they are not relatively close cards to compare.

OP I would suggest holding onto this till the next gen cards drop (Votla - suggesting next year) as they have new architecture which will likely give good gains for DX12 and Vulkan API

I would like to point out that the 1060 does not out perform the 980 in either stock or overclocked though. Yeah they are pretty close to each other.
The thing is the 980 was originally priced at over 500 euro and the 1060 is around 270 euro. I'd say thats a pretty good deal.
If the op really wanted to not spend over over 200 then why didn't they just get the brand new AMD RX 480 which starts at 200 euro and is on par with a gtx 970?

Yes of course the 960 is still a good card and will run Planet Coaster, and I understand it may look like a good deal to buy a last gen card now for a discounted price, but when you look at the price to performance ratios, it really isn't the best deal.

The thing is the 980 was originally priced at over 500 euro and the 1060 is around 270 euro. I'd say thats a pretty good deal.
If the op really wanted to not spend over over 200 then why didn't they just get the brand new AMD RX 480 which starts at 200 euro and is on par with a gtx 970?

Yes of course the 960 is still a good card and will run Planet Coaster, and I understand it may look like a good deal to buy a last gen card now for a discounted price, but when you look at the price to performance ratios, it really isn't the best deal.

The AMD 480 is £230 plus so still another £60 over what the 960. The price to performance in Europe at the moment compared to the US is very skewed so this is probably why you are looking at these cards that are not in the same price bracket now.

With what has been saved though it would allow the OP to save further and upgrade to the new architecture when it drops.

Also no point comparing prices of what they released at. It is what we can buy then now that matters to the consumer. There is no denying that the release price of the card now to performance has increased, that is the whole point but currently due to market saturation with card numbers we can still pick up last gens new cards for less money on the same performance.

(Just had a quick look at euro prices and they are around 249 euro for the cheapest 480 so again quite a chunk more than the 960 and yes it outperforms the 960 but again we are not looking at cards in the same price bracket at least in UK/Europe)

So guys I have funny news! After I bought the Msi 960 4g the last Saturday, today I went back to the shop, give back the 960 and bought the

MSI GTX 1060 gaming 6G :))
I'm happy

Last edited:
Top Bottom