Is it finally time to get rid of supercruise?

Just out of interest, how can the OP and posters here actually justify this topic being in the Odyssey section, rather than general Elite discussion?

I've seen threads that manage some tenuous connection between Apex times and changed Elite travel speeds in general, but this one is just opportunistic and not even attempting to disguise itself as being about the Alpha or even Odyssey.

Just out of interest, how can the OP and posters here actually justify this topic being in the Odyssey section, rather than general Elite discussion?

I've seen threads that manage some tenuous connection between Apex times and changed Elite travel speeds in general, but this one is just opportunistic and not even attempting to disguise itself as being about the Alpha or even Odyssey.
I think last time someone asked this the answer was "We have to say it now, because alpha" Even though this alpha is not about changing base game mechanics. This will end up like the fabled Hotel California sooner or later.

I could be wrong about the implementation of the speed acceleration/deceleration function, but I bet FDev would know for sure and be able to change it.

(Before you point out that my suggestion is not based on any actual knowledge of the Elite Dangerous code base, I should note that it is just as valid as your belief that the acceleration/deceleration curve can’t be changed.)
I have a hunch that one factor that does limit the choice of maximum speeds is the update rate of the netcode. As relative speeds increase, the accuracy of motion prediction becomes critical, and in its absence or in poor network conditions, rubber banding becomes more apparent.

Jump beacons could be situated near stations or other points of interest. These could link to a ship and provide an anchor point for some form of accelerated supercruise or in-system hyperspace jump. The idea is that a pilot would jump to the main star, and then select the desired beacon and jump to that (or fast supercruise).

There would be a beacon limit per ship (better ships = more active links), and pilots would have to travel to the beacon via normal methods to register the initial link, but travel times to that location for future visits would drastically reduce.

Non-piloted transport from Apex and Frontline would be pre-registered to their chosen locations, since they probably do those routes repeatedly - travel times would be trivial for those services. This would get rid of the log wait doing nothing for on-foot players.

Pirates might be a problem if they camp at the beacons, but security patrols could take care of that problem if the system security level was sufficiently high. Also, a clean record could be required to register your ship at a beacon.

If EVA ever becomes a thing, then beacons could be damaged by player activity, and repair missions could be a thing - probably requiring a wing or a strong ship to take out the saboteurs and stand guard whilst the repair was carried out.

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
(Before you point out that my suggestion is not based on any actual knowledge of the Elite Dangerous code base, I should note that it is just as valid as your belief that the acceleration/deceleration curve can’t be changed.)

In summary, developers can change the game code to do whatever they want.
I never said it couldn't be changed.

Top Bottom