Is it me being a newbie or is the grid silightly off sometimes?

Hey there,

I never played Planet Coaster, so I'm new to building. Which is why I aam not sure if this is a bug or just me being dumb. When you press ctrl+x to copy a piece and move it on the axes, it shifts on me ever so lightly most of the time. Not perfectly on the same axes. Am I doing something wrong (confusing relative to world axes?) or is this a bug? I know the grid was off in Beta. Is this bug still present?

Did you check if the first piece perfectly aligns with the world axes? It's easy to accidentally rotate something when you try to place it down.

Is it another piece within the same building, or did you duplicate the building?

Is it an actual building piece like walls, roofs etc. or something else?

Could you post a screenshot?

Do i ask too many questions?

It happens to me to and I've seen it on Geekism's video as well (he pointed it out). I don't know if it's a bug or not.

Did you check if the first piece perfectly aligns with the world axes? It's easy to accidentally rotate something when you try to place it down.

Is it another piece within the same building, or did you duplicate the building?

Is it an actual building piece like walls, roofs etc. or something else?

Could you post a screenshot?

Do i ask too many questions?

These are actually helpful questions. Will check on these specific next time. All I can answer now is, that I do copy pieces, not buildings.

Jonti (Geekism) noticed the grid was off in beta. Hacen't heard him saying so yet in the full game.

I've had this in Beta as well. Exiting the build mode and re-opening it fixed it for me.

Didnt bother me enough to post a ticket. But it can be annoying sometimes.

Maybe it only happens with certain pieces.

Building is so frustrating I wanna cry! The grid randomly skews - my gate was skewiff, so no matter how much I tried to readjust it with the Z key, one side clipped into the straight wall and the other didn’t. Then the camera controls swapped direction. Nothing snaps to any grid. Then I was trying to place a build piece over an archway and the thing kept grouping so I couldn’t adjust the height of the build piece. My neighbours just heard every cuss word in my vocabulary and now I’m sulking on the couch. Please help!

Edit: It's difficult, but if you persist and let yourself cool off after a meltdown, the building system is actually pretty amazing. Frustrating sometimes, but still great! If objects misalign, leave build and open it again. This is the first building I've made, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Last edited:
Building is so frustrating I wanna cry! The grid randomly skews - my gate was skewiff, so no matter how much I tried to readjust it with the Z key, one side clipped into the straight wall and the other didn’t. Then the camera controls swapped direction. Nothing snaps to any grid. Then I was trying to place a build piece over an archway and the thing kept grouping so I couldn’t adjust the height of the build piece. My neighbours just heard every cuss word in my vocabulary and now I’m sulking on the couch. Please help!

Edit: It's difficult, but if you persist and let yourself cool off after a meltdown, the building system is actually pretty amazing. Frustrating sometimes, but still great! If objects misalign, leave build and open it again. This is the first building I've made, and I'm pretty happy with it.
View attachment 150226
Very good work Moonfox, especially because it wasn't easy when you had that grid problem during building (and other stuff happend)... I like what you build very much, your "cooldown" was very succesful I think. 😄

In Planet Coaster, you can build on a grid at one point of the scenario and, as long as you remain on grid, basically make it work exactly all over the map. Everything aligns almost perfectly, even if You don’t choose exactly the same path as reference every time.

In Planet Zoo... is like the tried to do that but isn’t working properly. Grids don’t align. Edges don’t align. This path is perfectly straight, but this wall, that was also perfectly straight at this half, suddenly is not on this other and doesn’t work with the path. Things like that. It’s also a pain to place blueprints because oh boy the game doesn’t wanna put paths down correctly, even using a grid exactly like the original creator did!

Your FIRST, Moonfox? Wow. You are a natural talent. I find myself improving pretty fast for the way I am, but I'm definately not yet able to build this. For those of you who are interested, <ou can find screenshots in my Steam gallery. Will make a video once there is more to show.

Also, good to hear that some of you also have the misaligning thing. I'll see if exiting and reemtering group will help.

Top Bottom