Is it possible to "Win" a war with current state of BGS?

My player faction is getting ready for our 3rd war since we entered the game. Our first couple have had confusing results. When we did little we lost (not a surprise) then we invested an enormous and successful combat effort and lost the conflict dramatically. Our thinking is to do little combat in the upcoming conflict to see if we might do better. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Father Bill

In general, yes - I've seen various systems and stations change hands since 3.3

In some cases there have been problems with transactions not being counted as expected. If that's happening to you, https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/464707-unexplained-drops-in-INF-in is the bug thread to add them to: there's a post by Ed Lewis about half way with details of what information is needed so that they can tell the difference between what you think you did and what the game thinks you did.

My player faction is getting ready for our 3rd war since we entered the game. Our first couple have had confusing results. When we did little we lost (not a surprise) then we invested an enormous and successful combat effort and lost the conflict dramatically. Our thinking is to do little combat in the upcoming conflict to see if we might do better. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Father Bill

Yes. It is possible to win wars. We won them before 3.3 and we continue to win them even after. The system is now slightly different: it does not increase the percentage of influence, in fact it remains blocked, but the single days of war must be won, at best 4 out of 7 days. Then, it depends on what is meant by "enormous combat effort". Our squadron deposits several million combat bonds every day, deploying dozens of pilots. However, if on the other side there is a minor player faction playing against you, the war may prove to be harder than expected.

P.S. From the patch our faction fought 10 wars, winning them all!

Last edited:
We nearly lost one. Thought we would be opposed so threw the kitchen sink at it and lost. Same next day, then realised the traffic really didn't allow for anyone doing more than us, so backed off to just a couple of transactions a day, and ended up winning.
If you are unopposed, just 5 or so transactions a day max (just to cover a few bounties for the opposition if they are system owner) will do the job.

Make sure you document your efforts, what you did and where. And where you hand it in etc.

Then, if things go different than expected (e. G. More efforts lead to less success), file a bug report. There might be bugged conflicts happening.

Thanks

Father Bill

Fought 10+ wars now since 3.3 and won every single one.

Just looked at your faction and its system in 78 Ursae Majoris. Looks like your problem is you have started your faction in an Alliance heavy area, when your faction is Independent and your government type is not compatible with Edmund Mahon for Powerplay. If you start an independent faction in an area with a heavy factionalist presence then you have got to accept that you are going to be as about as popular as a cat in a crowd of dogs and you are going to get dogpiled.

Checking the Allioth control system on Inara it is obvious the local Alliance PP groups here have been very active in installing Alliance factions with Corporate governments for the control bonuses here. The faction you are at war with in 78 Ursae Majoris has a Corporate government and is Alliance faction. The traffic in 78 Ursae Majoris last 24 hours is high, shows as 110+, so it is pretty obvious you are being opposed.

Edit: If you also check the controlling faction in 78 Ursae Majoris, it is a NPC faction but has a large player backing as can be seen with the 49 cmdrs who have pledged to it on Inara and the fact it is present in 42 systems. I suspect that they might not want you to challenge for control of their system also

Last edited:
Just looked at your faction and its system in 78 Ursae Majoris.
Hey, there's a system name I've not heard for a while.

My first introduction to the practical effects of the BGS was watching 78 Ursae Majoris gradually flip from its original Federal faction to Alliance control, just due to people working there to get the Alioth permit. Even made the news in Galnet, back when "system changes hands" was an exciting new thing...

One thing to be aware of... If a War Zone spawns an enemy Battlecruiser then DONT interact with it. If you do (by knocking out all the heat exchangers) then the instance will be bugged and all progress lost. Enemy ships will stop spawning so you end up with nothing to shoot, and a static war progress bar. I've also seen instances where one of the heat exchangers will be at -99 percent and impossible to take out, again, this will kill any progress. All have been logged, and all have been unanswered by at least 100 developers (no doubt too busy due to the new forums rollout).

I should mention that the above doesn't happen every instance, but I've seen it numerous times that its just not worth the gamble and outlay of ammunition.

Last edited:
I wonder if it is then possible to get our faction affiliated with the Alliance... I cannot find any info. I registered us as an idependent because of ignorance of the Power Play system. I guess I should have waited till I knew more. If anyone knows if we can become Alliance Affiliated, I would appreciate any info on how to pursue it.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, i believe FD have said no to changing things after your faction is in the game. I can hunt down the post on that if you need it.
You best chance is to open diplomatic chanels with them and work out a solution. Contacts are on this forum and on discord or here http://elitediplomats.com/elitediplomats.com/index.html

Thanks for posting that, but AEDC is not managing Alioth Independents or 78UM. Nevertheless, with 78UM the typical Alioth permit grind system (and just about every Alliance allied pilot eventually goes through that), that's a tricky one. BGS in grind systems is.... unsatisfying...

With regards to PowerPlay, get in touch with the Mahon guys (AOS) on the Alliance of Independents Discord.

Unfortunately, Frontier doesn't allow changes to existing PMFs.

Top Bottom