Is it too late for space legs now?

• Thread starter DeletedUser191218
  • Start date

DeletedUser191218

D
As X4 is out, Starfield maybe within a year or two, NMS finally getting it's act together and Star Citizen having just pulled in another $7m from players given the chance to play for free (implying they liked what was on offer) - is it too late for space legs in ED? Should FDev just accept the game is what it is and leave it there? It feels like by the time they get it released they aren't going to be THE space game on the market any more. That's ok. A game can only be top if it's class for so long. I think perhaps FDev missed the boat on that one and have allowed competition to catch and, to some people, surpass them.

As X4 is out, Starfield maybe within a year or two, NMS finally getting it's act together and Star Citizen having just pulled in another $7m from players given the chance to play for free (implying they liked what was on offer) - is it too late for space legs in ED? Should FDev just accept the game is what it is and leave it there? It feels like by the time they get it released they aren't going to be THE space game on the market any more. That's ok. A game can only be top if it's class for so long. I think perhaps FDev missed the boat on that one and have allowed competition to catch and, to some people, surpass them.

It might actually still be too early.

X4 is just a single player game, so it will get old fast.
Starfield has a few big hurdles to overcome if it's going to stay relevant for long.
NMS is so different, even with multiplayer, that it's really a different class all together.

And StarCitizen... even with a budget the size of the US National Debt, well, it'll still be a Chris Roberts project.

It isn't too late at all. What exactly would be stopping FD from adding space? It needs to be correctly - having enough game play and content.

SC isn't complete and won't be for a long time.
NMS isn't Elite, although a good game, it's also a different game than Elite.
X4 - does it have the game play to justify legs? Apart from walking about , what else can you do? Much?

Personally i dont really care either way anymore, im sick of companies making people wait and wait. everyone spends there life, waiting years for something, then it lasts a few weeks, and your waiting for the next thing to come along, be it games, films, gadgets. i play ED now and then, but nowhere near as much as i played at the start, if they do spacelegs so be it, if not, so be it.

DeletedUser191218

D
It might actually still be too early.

X4 is just a single player game, so it will get old fast.
Starfield has a few big hurdles to overcome if it's going to stay relevant for long.
NMS is so different, even with multiplayer, that it's really a different class all together.

And StarCitizen... even with a budget the size of the US National Debt, well, it'll still be a Chris Roberts project.

Fair enough. I've kind of lost interest in space legs now. Even if they did implement it next year it would take a couple of years after that to get it to a state of having decent gameplay. Planets are still basically lifeless dead rocks you drive around shooting stones, and horizons was like 3 years ago.

X4 - does it have the game play to justify legs? Apart from walking about , what else can you do? Much?

Mine, combat, trade, pirate, missions, explore. So, pretty much the exact same set of activities you can do in Elite. Oh, and you can build an empire.

-K

Spacelegs should come to ED, but it should come in an innovative fashion. None of that pointless running around on stations and having to walk everywhere. If I want to stand outside a bank and jump up and down, I'll play WoW.

Instead, space legs should be used to add EVA opportunities to ED. In the process we should get an autopilot (!), so we can cruise along and go around the interior of our ships to do repairs and maintenance, tweak and tune things. Or maybe catch Trumbles and play paddycake with our NPC and player copilots. And we should be able to go outside our ships, full EVA, and do repairs. The experience should make the seats of VR users just a little bit sticky... We should be able to go outside the SRV when appropriate as well, and take samples, measure stuff, etc.

And of course play golf. Atmosphere-less low-mid-high gravity golf. Bring it on!

Just not wandering around space stations buying groceries, no thanks.

:D S

Personally i dont really care either way anymore, im sick of companies making people wait and wait. everyone spends there life, waiting years for something, then it lasts a few weeks, and your waiting for the next thing to come along, be it games, films, gadgets. i play ED now and then, but nowhere near as much as i played at the start, if they do spacelegs so be it, if not, so be it.

Good stance to take. Also agree that, to the OP's point, it is too late as many of us that loved this game have simply moved on. And any addition made now will be trivial.

FDev gets this that's why they have put minimal resources and development effort into the game this year. Only the hard-core faithful cling to hopeful new things like this as being some sort of saving grace to suddenly make the game come alive or fulfill xx dreams, etc. But the reality is it is too late. The amount of effort to create elaborate features versus the return on investment is bad. Elite is almost a 5 year old game. Maybe start thinking of space-legs in Elite 2.0 whenever that gets planned.

Fair enough. I've kind of lost interest in space legs now. Even if they did implement it next year it would take a couple of years after that to get it to a state of having decent gameplay. Planets are still basically lifeless dead rocks you drive around shooting stones, and horizons was like 3 years ago.

Yep. And this only reinforces the fact that adding space-legs likely won't ever happen as we still only have lifeless, airless rocks to land on. Getting to atmospheric planets with ships would have been easier but it's no where in sight.

You can do EVA and ............ drum roll ...........

paint your ship in any colors available (purchased from the store, of course)

Not the creative sort, are you? Not going to rehash the 101 things to do with bipedal locomotion thread. It's been done 101 times itself.

You can do EVA and ............ drum roll ...........

paint your ship in any colors available (purchased from the store, of course)

Yes, I know you can EVA - but what game play is there? You can walk around stations, go outside your ship but for what purpose?

Yes, I know you can EVA - but what game play is there? You can walk around stations, go outside your ship but for what purpose?

When space legs come to the game:

You emerge from hyperspace before the bright central star of an unexplored system. You will throttle your ship down to 30 km/s SC speed, then GET OUT OF YOUR CHAIR AND WALK OVER TO THE FSS UNIT! You will then enter a virtual rendition of the honk return, tag the system, then WALK BACK TO YOUR CHAIR and get on with it.

See how space legs improves everything.

:D S

I'd want space legs and atmospheric planet landings at the same time. Especially if it a breathable atmosphere. Then I can turn a Dolphin into a motor home and go camping. Go sit outside around a campfire and roast marshmallows.

Did epic games feel the same way about their battle royale mode last year when PubG was at its height or did they just release their game and eventually gain the momentum to overtake it?

You can open lockboxes for materials.
You can hack terminals to disable station security.
You can repair your ship.
Inside stations you can also hack terminals, craft goods and pick up black market missions in bars.

The gameplay for those things isn't exactly deep, but then neither is shooting rocks in your SRV.

However, these are ALL things that have been asked for in these forums.

Last edited:
Game play for space legs is there if you can use your imagination. Hell 99% of the games out there now you have some sort of legs. So don't tell me there isn't game play for space legs. It's how much effort and work does FD want to put forward towards space leg game play is the real question.

Like I said, you can spend some time painting your ship, washing it down, giving it some love.

Then, feeling like a break, you <press W> to walk across to the nearest bar and, over a Lavian Brandy, discuss a new mission with the dubious character with one arm who has tapped you on the shoulder, suggesting you look like you need some credits for that half-painted crate (sorry, Krait) at the opposite dock, where engineers, dock skivvies and crew members are walking past it, scratching their heads.

The mission that displays on your wrist device pays well but looks illegal. You decide to accept it, taking advantage of the distraction created by the Panther Clipper attempting to land at the adjacent pad. You <press S> to summon your crew, who materialize in their seats as you <press R> run up the steps to the bridge of your ship .....

..... I'll let your imagination fill in the details .....

I'm referring to space legs: what can you do with space legs?
I think the only way space legs could be made interesting would be to add game play in the space ports, like Mass Effect style. Doing missions inside there, not so much in ship. In your ship, you rather want to be at the wheel at all times. Maybe EVA for something, but 99.9% of the time you wouldn't want to leave the seat. But at the stations, that's where new game play could be added.

Top Bottom