Is mining the only ace card up the ELITE's sleeve? What can we do? New player view

4 types of mining some intricate some easy. Busting lazing blasting rocks for credits.
Frankly I'm amazed Op loves mining. I consider myself a competent miner also but a means to an end miner. Not a dedicated miner who plays to mine.
Lack of content, stella forge cut n paste, are to me the most important issues.
How we approach triples or singles doubles etc will all become clear in a matter of weeks.
o7

Please add my numbers from the chart below... (since I do not play ED via Steam)
EliteStats.jpg

It wasn't mining. It was the fact that mining was the only viable activity which guaranteed getting your own carrier in this lifetime.

I think it had more to do with the game being on sale for $7

And of course fleet carriers. Which made system chat useable again. And allowed for a nice gameplay loops of finding a FC jumping to sell and taxi back, plus friendly chatter. You see OP, FCs were the first new content we saw since IDK, two years now? This and the news that the old credit source - Borann - is drying up after the patch. So people

(old people returning, looking around, finding nothing of interesting, and going back to cryosleep)

That's me! I mined LTD SSDs a bit, found that moderately satisfying in terms of effort and Cr/h, and then stopped around the discovery of "SLF instance respawn". Was not really that into slaving for the carrier, but padded my budget a bit. (Still can't afford FC, and with the further nerfs I'm probably not going to bother).

TL,DR is that I think mining trends drive the ELITE audience, which is a bad thing.
It's not the mining, it's the credit earning potential. The mining is just a means to an end. I'd go so far as to say most players who have been grinding away in asteroid fields don't actually enjoy mining at all.
The availability of a "gold rush" drives up player count and so does new content. We had both in mid-june. Past gold rushes have involved different mechanics like passenger missions, scanning beacons or dive bombing settlements (okay that last one was actually pretty fun) and they had the same effect on player engagement.

For the first time ever a while ago, I took one of those Covert Operation missions. Having never done one before I didn’t know what to expect. When I arrive in the target system I’m informed I have destroy 15 passenger ships. I felt awful but then I noticed it was to do with miners protesting about their rights. Bad feelings melted away. The open channel was picking their slogans up, “Miners Unite!”

I savoured every beautiful explosion. I highly recommend it.
LOL

It’s totally true. I picked up the mission from Jaques Station. Paid well too, more than mining is right now [sniggers]

After this week’s meltdowns, if I wasn’t out in the black, being so brave, handsome and adorable in my Dolphin, doing some exploring, I’d be stacking them like they were about to be nerfed [sniggers again]

Steam chart numbers always go up after an update and then drop down again. Not sure why everyone/anyone expected them to be different this time.

Simon

It’s totally true. I picked up the mission from Jaques Station. Paid well too, more than mining is right now [sniggers]

After this week’s meltdowns, if I wasn’t out in the black, being so brave, handsome and adorable in my Dolphin, doing some exploring, I’d be stacking them like they were about to be nerfed [sniggers again]

Stop that sniggering young man... anyone would have thought I'd said boob.

The unbalanced way this game rewards feels forced and/or artificial, mining only got profitable cause of a mining update and to get people to use the new mining fdev made getting credits easy mode imo! Player charts go up after most games update especially after long awaited content 1.5 years of delays when people are locked up in their homes and just like all games the numbers will go down weeks later.

Tried mining 3 times over the last 2 weeks.
Found it engaging as a process. Satisfying to see the core rocks blow up.

Nice to see there's somebody who liked doing it - for the sake of doing it.

Well, I came back to ED after not playing for a number of years mostly because of the Odyssey announcement which will be when the major spike is. I wanted to make sure I remembered how to play before it comes a long and I decide whether I want to buy it or not. Then I got sucked into saving up funds for a fleet carrier which I'm still not sure if I truly want, as I'm only about 1/2 way there. I guess the next few patches will shed some light on whether it will be worth having one or not.

As far as declining numbers, I guess some got fed up and gave up. It happens. If Odyssey is super good I'm sure we'll see it spike again then.

Apparently people get angry if you take away their inflated money-making scheme after they have more money than they need. That actually sounds like real-world issues though
there was a dude earlier who said he was going to protest by parking his carrier in deciat with 45 years of upkeep on it

like... if you have 45 years of carrier upkeep what the hell do you need credits for

Top Bottom