Is Physical Multicrew's space-exploration usefulness non-existant?

What is the reason that physical multicrew does not give teammates redeemable exploration data for themselves to turn in, or any credits at all for that matter? Unlike teleprescene, they are literally there in the seat next to me - onboard the ship, just like you; scanning and mapping things and yet, they receive absolutely nothing (outside of the system map info, even though the game itself will claim that the multicrewed commander never visited the system even so).

I understand telepresence not giving data, first finds, etc. because of the teleportation aspect; but I can not wrap my head around the magic of someone literally sitting phyiscally next to me being barred from any sort of gains simply because they don't have their hands on the wheel as I do. Was this ever intended for Odyssey? For it to have physical multicrew be able to interact with exploration in an advanced way compared to TP Multcrew or no?

(P.S. - to top this off, right now its bugged to where when a physical multicrewed player maps planets or does any kind of FSS work, it does not update for anybody or do anything for the helm. This renders the one aspect of multicrew space-born exploration useless if you're doing it physically. It doesn't update for the helm and doesn't give rewards to the multicrewer - thereby essentially giving the physical multicrewer a plastic steering wheel to play with while the actual helm pilot does the real work.

Never thought I'd see the day when telepresence MC worked better than the new physical MC (in regards to space-born exploration.)

What is the reason that physical multicrew does not give teammates redeemable exploration data for themselves to turn in,
The game designers said once they introduced the FSS/DSS that they could now "make sure multicrew explorers did something to get the credits"

They were originally bothered that you could just sit in an explo ship and get all the credits for doing nothing at all.

Then they implemented the FSS/DSS which should have allowed multicrew members to scan systems and probe planets, and get exploration rewards for it.

I guess this went the way of the "combat triangle"

Last edited:
MC was never finished. 🤷‍♂️ FD told us they will continue developing it if people just use it despite it being unfinished. So if you believe that, just keep doing it for nothing and someday, maybe, they'll change it.
Yep. And this isn't even conjecture either; it's literally what FDev told us in regards to Multicrew being unfinished/broken. "we will finish/fix it if people use it more."

Hard to use it more if it barely works.

doesn't this topic imply that exploration is useful in any configuration?

I'd say multicrew, physical or not, is just as useful as non-multicrew for space exploration.

doesn't this topic imply that exploration is useful in any configuration?

I'd say multicrew, physical or not, is just as useful as non-multicrew for space exploration.
TBH aside from selling exploration data, exploration itself is nothing more than "screenshot simulator" since it almost exclusively involved purely looking at things and nothing else. Look at this cool planet, look at this neat star I saw, look look look...

indeed, the things you find dont drive the BGS to do anything or act on anything you are doing ... there is no player agency in owning anything ...there aren't any real environmental hazards out in space aside from the jets of white dwarfs and neutron stars ... the 400 billion systems only act as a time sink and temporary scene for momentary narrative storylines.

arguing that multicrew is useless for space exploration would kind of require that space exploration is useful in the first place. And it's not.

indeed, the things you find dont drive the BGS to do anything or act on anything you are doing ... there is no player agency in owning anything ...there aren't any real environmental hazards out in space aside from the jets of white dwarfs and neutron stars ... the 400 billion systems only act as a time sink and temporary scene for momentary narrative storylines.

arguing that multicrew is useless for space exploration would kind of require that space exploration is useful in the first place. And it's not.
It was meant to be - it was meant to allow systems to expand into areas to set up mining operations, or tourist spots, or alien relic harvesting.

Some of the above has been done by hand by FD, but none of it is automated.

Not sure if they recently sorted this out a bit but - at one point, there were exploration CG's which just required any data at all, even though they were searching a specific area for something... which was a bit mental, but just shows the level of linkage it all has/had to other game elements.

[...]

Hard to use it more if it barely works.
Even when it does, there's literally nothing to do as the fourth person. Not much going on for players two and three either to be honest.

A better name would be Multipassenger, because that's really the only reason it was extended to four.

Top Bottom