Is repairing modules on-the-fly with any Repair Limpet working?

I, with Explorer ambitions, am far from civilized space, equipped with a Repair Limpet. It seems it repairs Hull Damage but my modules are still in 97-99% health and the limpet doesn't repair them, even after reboot.

Is it up only to the too-less-damage? (I've read somewhere that it need min. 5% damage to be queued to repair but I'm not sure it's relevant.)

Will my Repair Limpet repair my modules if their damage reaches 5%? Or should I buy a better/different Limpet?

Now where to put the AFMU?

I have an Asp Explorer.

• I want to find Meta-Alloy for Felicity Farseer so I need Cargo Rack and an SRV.
• I need Shield Generator, of course. Of course? (I'm in Solo Play.)
• When I'm far from any stations then I need hull repair limpet, Fuel Scoop, two types of scanner.

Or am I failed in a point? Is there anything to drop out? Or I should stay in the space for exploration and collect money for an Anaconda? (Which would give the obvious question, how could the Asp Explorer be a best-of ship for explorers. :D )

No, this is called module proliferation. For the time being, you have to decide which bits of what you want to do, are most pressing if you want to fly Asp.

Two options; don't do some of what you want to do, or change ships. If you have the credits, Krait is a fantastic drop in replacement for Asp. With far better internals.

Deleted member 38366

D
IMHO Repair Limpet Controllers are only for ultra-long Exploration Trips, shieldless builds or CMDRs who *uhm* just happen to bump into things very often for some reason :D

If given the choice, I'd go for an AFMU anyway and ditch a Repair Limpet Controller - especially since the Repair Limpet Controller requires 2 slots to work (1x Controller and 1x Cargo for Limpets).

Would be neat if we had an Option to Synthesize in a way that (without Cargo Racks) still gave you 4 Limpets - but generated them 1 by 1 and instantly fired them off.
That way, they'd still function in a basic way without Cargo Racks.

Last edited by a moderator:
FalconFly, it's good to be considered… (a no-shield build) Wait, when I go to Silent Mode than the hull starts to heat up. Is it sure to be good to ditch shields?

Another question: May an Imperial Cutter be better than an Anaconda? Keeping the need of storing everythin
Specifications:
Anaconda
Imperial Cutter

Now where to put the AFMU?

I have an Asp Explorer.
https://ibb.co/cnMuBy

• I want to find Meta-Alloy for Felicity Farseer so I need Cargo Rack and an SRV.
• I need Shield Generator, of course. Of course? (I'm in Solo Play.)
• When I'm far from any stations then I need hull repair limpet, Fuel Scoop, two types of scanner.

Or am I failed in a point? Is there anything to drop out? Or I should stay in the space for exploration and collect money for an Anaconda? (Which would give the obvious question, how could the Asp Explorer be a best-of ship for explorers. :D )

Mate, for exploring it's pretty crappy setup.

First - drop that 5E cargo rack and fit there 6A scoop. You'll thank me later.
2nd - in place after that 3A scoop fit 3D shields. You don't need bigger for exploration. And solo mode. In fact you can go shieldless but then any planetary landing (not to mention station) will cause slight hull damage. Having smallest possible shields help in that matter.
3rd - drop limpet controller and and get yourself 5A AFMU. Module damage is far more dangerous than hull damage when exploring. You can limp back to the bubble with 1% hull while FSD below (I believe) 70% will cause you massive trouble, up to the point it will fail to engage every time, leaving you stranded.

This leaves you one 3-size slot free. And applying above will increase your range, just like that.

General exploration rule of thumb:
FDS biggest A-rated
everything else D-rated
Power plant the smallest to support your needs.

Optionals:
- biggest and best scoop you can afford
- biggest and best AFMU for repairs
- smallest D-rated shields for landing safety
- rover is optional
- ADS and DSS combo
- if place allows: FSD booster

Cheers.

Agreed with the above, at the absolute minimum swap the fuel scoop and cargo rack (why have you got a 5E cargo rack in a size 6 slot anyway??). For the shield gen, "E" grade kit is pretty awful. At least D grade it but for exploring I'd do as above and fit a smaller one.
An advantage of the AFMU is that they weigh nothing so if you power them down you get no power increase and no mass. You only need them powered up while repairing and there is plenty of time when exploring that you can turn off other units to allow the AFMU to do its thing. TBH though I've gone to Colonia with a 25ly jump range ship when there were no stops between the bubble and there (before it was named Colonia) without using any repair equipment so it is optional to carry any unless you are going a really long way.

Top Bottom