Is "Save"ing still a legitimate tactic to avoid destruction ?

I had a little contretemps (my fault entirely) with an Elite CMDR in an FDL over the weekend in a haz-res site. He easily evaded me and after a fly-past in silent running (my all-gimballed weapons could not get a lock) he quite rightly returned fire. At this point I decided to run - I know my all-rounder Conda, with me at the helm (Master), is no match for a decent commander in an FDL - so I boosted away as quick as a could and as soon as mass-locked dropped I super-cruised away. At this point 1 had 1 faint ring of shields left.
He must have followed because he interdicted me a couple of minutes later. I submitted immediately and as soon as I could started to boost away. Before I could jump into super-cruise he had my shields down and my hull is slowly crumbling. I went to high-wake out and, horror of horror, my FSD is unavailable, offline. He had shot it out. So now all I can do is boost and wait to die. So I kept boosting, he kept firing, but amazingly I'm gaining ground. Slowly the hits get much less damaging and I keep boosting....and boosting.... At 13% hull my shields come back online (thats a long time in a Conda). I keep boosting. The firing stops. I boost a couple more times, try my FSD - its still off-line, still no firing so I hit "Save and exit to Desktop". The 15-second count-down takes forever and towards the end I can hear the firing start again. Any second I'm expecting to hear the Conda explode.....and suddenly I can save... Phew - close call.....

A couple of hours later (I'm waiting for a mate outside the system docking station) he gently barges into me and opens a comms channel and asks me why I combat logged. I explained I didn't combat log - I saved - and the last time I heard Frontier regarded saving as a legitimate tactic. He said not - that I should not save - I should have stayed in the game and "learned" - and salute the victor.....

I did ask what I could learn but he didn't answer - he kept insisting I should not save.

So - did I do wrong ? Is saving under these circumstances a legitimate tactic ? He asked me not to do it again. My response was as long as Frontier regarded it as a legitimate tactic I would continue to do it.

Opinions ? I'd love to hear the "official" Frontier line on this.

Is it legitimate, yes.

Is it bad form if you did it to save yourself from destruction also yes.

That is probably the most polite answer you are going to get before the flaming starts and you end up on someone's kill on sight list...

And this is what causes people to say let the victims of mode invasion cry for not getting their safe space.

Asinine? Yes.

Funny? No.

Mode invasion is against FD rules...logging out by menu is not.

Putting people on your personal kill on sight list for someone legally leaving the game is silly.
What will we see next...kill on sight for anyone mining in a cobra?

When will you Code and SDC people learn...other players are not soley here for your enjoyment.

Putting people on your personal kill on sight list for someone legally leaving the game is silly.

When will you Code and SDC people learn...other players are not soley here for your enjoyment.

Unless I misread the OP's post he was the aggressor. Once he realized he'd made a horrible mistake he logged out. So in this particular case I suspect your defense is somewhat misplaced.

I despise logoffski on players, but if you story was true I would not complain if I were on place of that FDL. You were faster and he couldn't get you. I certainly would not chase you for the next half hour or so.

Last edited:
Unless I misread the OP's post he was the aggressor. Once he realized he'd made a horrible mistake he logged out. So in this particular case I suspect your defense is somewhat misplaced.

He brought up logging out legally...

Perhaps FD should make the game so you can not log out legally if you are the aggressor?
As it stands, its a mechanic of the game that FD says is allowable way to depart from the game.
I didnt see anywhere in their notes to not use it during or after combat?

Not against the rules but pretty cheap.

You had two opportunities to escape him clean without resorting to that.

1: To escape a player ALWAYS high-wake, if you didnt have a system selected to jump to and had to go into SC then you've got time to pick one while it's charging - as soon as you're in SC point at it and hit the button.

2: You say you were making up ground on him in normal space and pulling away from his weapons range. So keep doing what you were doing. Once he falls off your scanners KEEP doing it for a minute or so. Finally, before you try and reboot/repair to get your FSD online turn FA off, boost and shut down your thrusters just before your speed hits max - you'll now be coasting without speed decay at close to your maximum boost speed. just completely unable to maneuver. But the point is if he couldn't catch you before he's not going to be gaining on you now. You;re now safe to do a reboot/repair to get your FSD back online. How much cooler than "I logged out" would it be to say "I escaped him in normal space"????

No actually, repeated mode invasion after being banned from the group is against the rule, invading mode as an one time event is not against the rule.

You should re-read Zac's statement if you are still confused.

It's simple disrespect for other players engaged in gameplay, plus, KoS lists aren't universal, they are meant for people or organizations, only FD can create anything universal, really.

The Code and SDC do not have the same mission statement nor purpose within the game as far as I observe, and I believe I have the most experience and credential to state that over you.

Other players are here to enjoy the game as much as I am, but enjoying the game means having respect for other players. Just as mode invasion disrespect other players, combat logging via any avenue is also disrespecting other players.

Detach your emotion from your argument, otherwise you'll be throwing nonsense onto the screen.

Last edited:
Boom, sympathy/respect for OP all gone (if there was any in the first place). Attacked a player then wimping out when you discover that player is better than you...

Not even fellow pilots are going to like him.

Last edited:

I'm not aware of FD saying anything of the sort. Can you please show me, I really want to see if so.

He brought up logging out legally...

Perhaps FD should make the game so you can not log out legally if you are the aggressor?
As it stands, its a mechanic of the game that FD says is allowable way to depart from the game.
I didnt see anywhere in their notes to not use it during or after combat?

BOOM! My wife just fell because she has epilepsy..and is having a seizure.
I hear her calling for me....but Im in battle.
I shout to her to hang on...Im down to 1 shield ring left...it shouldnt take too much longer for this DBX with MC's to kill my Conda.
Hang on honey.....just about 5-10 more minutes and I should be at the rebuy screen so I can help you.
Hang on dear...I dread being on SDC or Codes kill on sight list...

You can only imagine how much game time I would be allowed to have after an incident like that eh?

Perhaps the OPs post was a different story altogether....everyone has their own story.
Its not cool or right to just catagorize everyones motive to log off when they do without knowing what they are experiencing at the moment.

Top Bottom