Is star rotation ever coming back?

Some time around 2016, something dramatic happened in the Elite Dangerous galaxy.

Every single star, apart from neutron stars and white dwarves, stopped moving and solidified in their place.
All star rotation in the game was removed, and now (almost) every star looks completely static.
Surprisingly, this event, which was in fact orchestrated by Frontier, has gone almost completely forgotten... even finding a video or mentions of the old past where stars used to rotate isn't very easy. But, to those who wondered how it was, here is one video of an old, quickly rotating A class star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfwt4EznhqI

Now, in seriousness, i can imagine that there were some kind of bugs that caused to this being removed. It probably did look very weird to people who didn't know that stars did this, but it is real!

There was one more problem though, and it was that the high oblateness that usually accompanies this kind of rotation, was not modeled at all in stars, and every star looks perfectly spherical.

One very notable example would be Achernar, which would both rotate very fast and look very squished. I imagine though, that high oblateness would cause problems with colliding with stars, and strange collision detection, which does already happen with very oblate planets (you can clip into the atmosphere)

So, i am making this post, to let the developers know that i do miss this feature of the galaxy, but, that i'd also really like to have it back along with the addition of star oblateness.

Deleted member 110222

D
You're right. I got so engrossed with the ships that I forgot about this detail.

It was cool.

wait what for real?
Why would you ever remove it?
I could imagine Neutron Stars and white dwarfs could become even more scary if they spin fast.

But I would love to see something like this again.

I have seen a few fast rotating proto stars, but I can't tell when that was right now. I might do an expedition if I made notes about those.

wait what for real?
Why would you ever remove it?
I could imagine Neutron Stars and white dwarfs could become even more scary if they spin fast.

But I would love to see something like this again.

Neutron stars and white dwarfs (luckily) do not spin in the game, otherwise FSD boosting would be a very, very difficult and dangerous affair. Only their jets have rotation.

Some time around 2016, something dramatic happened in the Elite Dangerous galaxy.

Every single star, apart from neutron stars and white dwarves, stopped moving and solidified in their place.
All star rotation in the game was removed, and now (almost) every star looks completely static.
Surprisingly, this event, which was in fact orchestrated by Frontier, has gone almost completely forgotten... even finding a video or mentions of the old past where stars used to rotate isn't very easy. But, to those who wondered how it was, here is one video of an old, quickly rotating A class star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfwt4EznhqI

Now, in seriousness, i can imagine that there were some kind of bugs that caused to this being removed. It probably did look very weird to people who didn't know that stars did this, but it is real!

There was one more problem though, and it was that the high oblateness that usually accompanies this kind of rotation, was not modeled at all in stars, and every star looks perfectly spherical.

One very notable example would be Achernar, which would both rotate very fast and look very squished. I imagine though, that high oblateness would cause problems with colliding with stars, and strange collision detection, which does already happen with very oblate planets (you can clip into the atmosphere)

So, i am making this post, to let the developers know that i do miss this feature of the galaxy, but, that i'd also really like to have it back along with the addition of star oblateness.
Stars are so huge there would be incredibly few or perhaps none that rotate fast enough to notice without time-lapse recording. Achenar rotates every 2 days- to the naked eye, maybe not so noticeable.

I think FD went to more realistic with this change.

Top Bottom