Is the Fer de Lance the ultimate ship for combat fighters?

Greetings,

I've spent a lot of hours in ED flying many ships. When I figured out something that might be helpful to others I posted on the Forum. For the game basics I'm usually right. For the ships I missed it.

I'm a fighter pilot coming up with the Viper, Vulture, FAS, Imp Courier and did well with an Imp Clipper at the time. Then I had problems with the game play moving up to the Python and Anaconda. It is a different style of combat. Still I was dedicated so have an amazing combat Python thinking this is for me. Maybe not so much.

I bypassed the Fer de Lance. Probably because I didn't like the ED version verses the 1984 version. But now with my experience I own one and to me it appears to be the ultimate fighter pilot moving up ship in the game. Even stock it takes out most opponents even with the smarter NPCs. Sorry I missed that.

But it is not about your ship. It is all about your skills using it. That takes time, patience and desire to master. Personally my combat Python is great and I do well with it but I'm having more fun for now with the Fer de Lance. I feel silly talking about combat before owning the FdL. With my skills it just takes out any opposition. Your results may vary. Go figure.

The moral is don't always believe what one reads on the Forum. Even with the best intentions without experience it can often be wrong.

Regards

Last edited:
The FdL certainly is a magnificent ship. I don't get to use it as much as I'd like to since the ruins hunt started, but it's still my favorite ship by far.

I initially purchased the FDL then sold it about 15 minutes later, I kept wondering what the hell can I do with this limited fancy looking ship, a couple of days later I decided to give it another go, modded thrusters for a 420m/s boost, fitted 4A multi-cannon also modded for efficiency, added 8T cargo space, it became a very nice courier more than capable of defending itself.

There is no 'ultimate' ship as far as I'm concerned, it simply depends on the occasion.

If you are going on a PvP duel then most will choose small to medium agile ships such as FdL, FAS or Imp. Courier.

OTOH, in HazRes/CompNav grinding situations, Fed Corvette would be the king for its sheer firepower and survivability.

Though it does not mean you can't bring a Corvette to a PvP fight or vice versa. It's all up to your taste frankly.

I initially purchased the FDL then sold it about 15 minutes later, I kept wondering what the hell can I do with this limited fancy looking ship, a couple of days later I decided to give it another go, modded thrusters for a 420m/s boost, fitted 4A multi-cannon also modded for efficiency, added 8T cargo space, it became a very nice courier more than capable of defending itself.

Ugh a courier with that kind of jump range? :p

It's a nice ship, I don't care for it myself but it works for alot of people.

I like my FdL. For Assassination missions it gets the job done quite nicely.

But lately I've been having a whole heap of fun in a Federal Gunship.

It's outfitted in a way that makes some folk scratch their heads - two small beams, 4 medium PA's and 1 large PA.

Oh, take my word for it, it's spectacular.

Ugh a courier with that kind of jump range? :p

It's a nice ship, I don't care for it myself but it works for alot of people.

It's got modded FSD giving me 17ly laden, it's certainly not one I'd be exploring in, I use it in the bubble only, I've got Asp and Conda for long range jumps.

I like my FdL. For Assassination missions it gets the job done quite nicely.

But lately I've been having a whole heap of fun in a Federal Gunship.

It's outfitted in a way that makes some folk scratch their heads - two small beams, 4 medium PA's and 1 large PA.

Oh, take my word for it, it's spectacular.

A friend that I wing up with is running the same setup. The 2 beams are regenerating sequence which is pretty nice in wing. I can confirm the effectiveness of the build

There is no 'ultimate' ship as far as I'm concerned, it simply depends on the occasion.

If you are going on a PvP duel then most will choose small to medium agile ships such as FdL, FAS or Imp. Courier.

OTOH, in HazRes/CompNav grinding situations, Fed Corvette would be the king for its sheer firepower and survivability.

Though it does not mean you can't bring a Corvette to a PvP fight or vice versa. It's all up to your taste frankly.

With Engineering I went with a hardened power plant and lucked out with 52 percent. Thinking PvP more than PvE.

It is definitely not the only fighter, or the ultimate, but it can sure kick some serious rear!

I actually just took my newly engineered FDL for a testspin in a HazRez, 3k shields, 5 fixed MC's overcharged.
I lack the skill to rip apart fast fighters with fixed ballistics, but an elite anaconda went down in no time. This was PVE, ofc, but it was lots of fun trying out fixed MC's; I think I will keep them.

Last edited:
Its a good ship, but the cockpit annoys me a lot. Plus the hardpoints are... frustrating.

Personally i fly the Gunship now for combat. A lot more fun.

Yes, the cockpit seems to be long but there is no better ship when it comes to the most visibility with all it's windows. Probably one reason why PvP players love it. I would bet that the VR players love this ship and take advantage of the view!

Last edited:
Fdl is my favorite ship yet viper still holds a piece of my heart as does python. I'm not sure what you mean by the moral being don't trust what you read on the forums when regarding the fdl because I've never seen anyone complain about it really. A few people said it needed better power plant but it didn't, yet got it anyway. One of the most efficient heat managing ships besides the diamondback.

Yes, the cockpit seems to be long but there is no better ship when it comes to the most visibility with all it's windows. Probably one reason why PvP players love it. I would bet that the VR players love this ship and take advantage of the view!

Nah, its not that. Its the bar down the middle of the cockpit. Drives me bananas.

Fdl is my favorite ship yet viper still holds a piece of my heart as does python. I'm not sure what you mean by the moral being don't trust what you read on the forums when regarding the fdl because I've never seen anyone complain about it really. A few people said it needed better power plant but it didn't, yet got it anyway. One of the most efficient heat managing ships besides the diamondback.

The morale is someone who like me just purchased an FdL versus another player with hundreds of hours flying it. Per my new comments I would go with others more experienced. Then again it is all about how they are playing the game versus how you play it. Take it all in but decide on your own what works for you. Trying to copy another player's style doesn't always work out too well.

Last edited:
Ah yes I agree with you, I was confused is all. Always have to compare people's experience with what you're looking for yourself. The fdl is not for some, same with any ship, but for combat it excels due to speed/agility, hardpoint placement, defenses, and the glisten it makes in the sun. Fell in love with it pre buff when my life support had a low priority so I could use my weapons. Pvping with oxygen countdown is a rush ;)

The morale is someone who like me just purchased an FdL versus another player with hundreds of hours flying it. Per my new comments I would go with others more experienced. Then again it is all about how they are playing the game versus how you play it. Take it all in but decide on your own what works for you. Trying to copy another player's style doesn't always work out too well.
Morale relates to level of confidence; moral is the word you seek. Aka, the moral of the story. Sorry to be pedantic. Back on topic, I've yet to try the fdl myself but have faced enough pilots in them to learn just how effective they can be. Maybe some day I'll give it a shot. For now I'm very much into the FGS. Mine has 3 plasmas lining the bottom, two fixed frags on the sides and a pair of frag turrets up top. It carries a single SLF Condor with fixed multicannons.

Got to say I appreciate the FDL is something of a Marmite ship, but I love it. Especially when I got the hang of the huge PA. This did take some time. But it's the only ship that can, with a proper bullseye admittedly, take out on opponents power plant in a single shot.

I've flown an Anaconda and never got close to such a shot, it's not got the manoeuvrability. The FDL does require lots of juggling of power usage and keeping in the 'blue zone' it's not forgiving, but get it right I reckon it's the best fighter in the game, and the most fun.

Personal opinion I know but I guess it's the variety that makes the game work?

FDL is pretty boring since the unwarranted buffs it's a godmode ship and was so over represented they didn't give it any military internals. It's good but IMHO too good now. It could use a reverting of the flight model.

Last edited:
Top Bottom