Is the fix in regarding desfending syustems from Thargoid attack?

As a fighter in the Anti Xeno Initiative, we along with the Hive have been defending systems from Thargoid attack every week for many months. Canonn Research has done outstanding work in determining they systems under threat each week and has provided tools for accurately tracking out scout kills. In the last few months we have moved from 2 systems a week targeted, which required about 3,000 kills each to successfully defend, to now, 3 systems a week that seem to require over 6000 kills a week per system, yet even that is not enough. This last week, when adding Canonn's tracker data to other kills done on consoles, all three systems should have been well defended with over 6k kills each however two of them burned. The time has come to ask the question "Are weekly burning stations something Fdev has determined will happen regardless of the level of system defense. This week it sure looks like 2 systems were set to burn and only the one with the highest kills would be saved.Fdev has been moving the "goal posts" on what constitutes a successful system defense for months but has give no information as to why or what the new successful level would be. I can't speak for AXI as a whole, but there are many who would rather fight interceptors, which are more interesting to fight than scouts which are are a bit dry after you have killed a few hundred of them. We are fighting the scouts to save systems and stations from being destroyed by thargoid attack but if Fdev has determined they will burn anyway, are we just wasting our time? I would really like someone from Fdev to answer if systems are actually defensible in a predicable way or if we are running up against a pre-set story line and no amount of defense is going to mean anything.

I'll second this...very frustrating for groups to put Maximum Effort in to system defence and fail...its not so much the failure as the suspicion that FDev is "Stacking the Deck" purposely to make repeated successful system defences difficult/impossible
Very difficult to plan activity and allocate resources when we have no idea as to what is required...
There's basically ZERO "fog of war" anywhere else in Elite...you can instantly see Shield/Hull/Module strengths of an opponent in Combat...you can instantly see Faction Strengths in the BGS...etc etc etc...so WHY is there so little information available here?
Not necessarliy asking for it to be completely "Open Book" but some indications as to whats happening would go along way towards helping

Yes. As I understand it, we should be able to save a system by destroying enough Thargoid Scouts. It's beginning to look as if that's not actually true. I'm not asking to know the actual threshold if it's true, but it would be good to know if my understanding is true or false.

There's nothing wrong with the numbers going up, if it does in fact mean that the goids are ramping up their offensive. The problem is if they are, none of this can be communicated through the game mechanics because everything is in a black box or the game mechanics lack the connective tissue to supply this information. Sadly, this is true of many parts of the game.

There is a problem with it if it's impossible for players to accomplish. People are just going to abandon it outright if it becomes more trouble than it's worth (if it hasn't already).

Not surprising from FDev though, I'm beginning to think they enjoy destroying things other people enjoy.

Some systems have to be hit, it plays into the larger story. Yeah defense is great and hats off to you for you dedicated anti-xeno campaign, but have we figured out why they attack those systems? Combat is only 1/3rd of the story. Until we figure out why they attack some systems and not others, there will be stations that get hit regardless of what we do.

I hope they bring some changes to this feature for 3.3. As it is, it feels like you're trying to shoot things blindfolded.

They're bringing new BGS states for 3.3, and I hope one is for Thargoid attacks.
Also we dont need to know what's the exact number of Thargoids that need to be killed, but something, some sort of behavioural change, that tells us if we are being successful in driving them off or not.

Communication from fdev is key here. If the destruction of say one station a week is scripted, then tell us. Post an article on Galnet where Aegis (or who ever they want) says something like this (or this exactly, if you can't be bother to write it yourself)

"The Thargoids have intensified their attack on humanity and now are launching combat operation in 3 systems a week with and estimated force of 6000 scouts plus interceptors in each system. Due to limited resources and even with the help of independent pilots, we are only able to defend at best, two of those systems. We have to accept some losses in the course of war but we will do out best to minimize them."

This would tell the players what they need to know. 6000 scouts is the target to save a system, 3 systems per week are at risk, and a maximum of two systems will be saved. If all they systems can be saved, even better, but Fdev give us some kind of guidance here. Moving the goal posts every week to make it increasingly more difficult without communicating anything to the player base is not helpful and doesn't increase players desires to engage fully with the content. If does the opposite. You have writers, use them.

A crazy trolling maneuver would be, if commanders from the "Far God Cult" are moving the goal-post up when they shoot Xeno-Hunters with active bonds...

troll stumping away.

Are they counting those scouts/interceptors outside of mission targets? does a player have to have a mission to deal with scout/interceptor threat in order for their kills to count toward the 6k force? From what o gather most pilots are flying around the system looking for non-human sources and not taking missions... Am I wrong on this?

Are they counting those scouts/interceptors outside of mission targets? does a player have to have a mission to deal with scout/interceptor threat in order for their kills to count toward the 6k force? From what o gather most pilots are flying around the system looking for non-human sources and not taking missions... Am I wrong on this?
There usually aren't missions for destroying scouts in the systems needing to be defended, you just have to find them in signal sources.

A crazy trolling maneuver would be, if commanders from the "Far God Cult" are moving the goal-post up when they shoot Xeno-Hunters with active bonds...

troll stumping away.
I did wonder this myself after seeing two halt ships in system last week. I was requested to "submit and be sacrificed to the far god" but got to the station before i could be interdicted.

Jason Timberlake? LMAO ...yeah, that pretty much says all that needs to be said. Oh, Skye, I thought you rage quit after that "unfortunate incident", or maybe weren't flying with a rebuy? Hope you have a few now...

What's the point of playing content if you can't even affect the outcome? I think FDEV bolloxed this one, we were out there all week shooting aliens. In the end it didn't matter at all, now the station is broken and everyone wonders if what we do actually matters at all...

And now even fewer of us give a damn about thargoids in general than when the latest attacks started. So, good job on that one or something...

What's the point of playing content if you can't even affect the outcome? I think FDEV bolloxed this one, we were out there all week shooting aliens. In the end it didn't matter at all, now the station is broken and everyone wonders if what we do actually matters at all...
That's the problem with player-affected content, though - sometimes you'll fail, because if success was guaranteed it would be impossible for players to affect the outcome. Anything like this with 100s or 1000s of players taking part the contribution of any individual is unlikely to be critical in itself - you can work as hard as you like and still fail because 1000 other people didn't show up for it. Or you can skip it and it's fine because 1000 other people did show up.

I think what you are missing here is that it is not one individual, it is hundreds actually taking part and we have the metrics (kills) recorded thanks to Canonn research. Players failing to hit a threshold of kills is one thing, but hitting the known threshold and then finding out fdev changed the threshold or the rules entirely, is not good for the players involved or the game as a whole. Frontier's motto in this game is:

400 billion star systems.
Infinite freedom.
Blaze your own trail.

But it should include "unless you get in the way of our scripted events"

Either we can blaze our own trail or we can't. Infinite freedom=scripted events can be altered by player action. It does not mean, scripted events restrict player freedom (ask any player group that has had their station destroyed if they are feeling the "infinite player freedom" the game promises). If we are all just operating on a script, tell us. We do not have infinite freedom and you can't blaze your own trail. You might think you can until you run into a scripted event and find out your actions, or even the action of hundreds mean nothing. If fdev insists on godhanding, then at least use the in game assets, such as galnet, to create a backstory that 1) explains in loose terms what will happen 2) Why it will happen 3) What players can do to limit the effect. All of this could be done with a well written article along the lines of what I posted above. This is completely achievable with minimal effort and it will reduce the player frustration caused by these scripted events.

Last edited:
I think the treshold is not known. It's only assumed and may be totally different from what is believed. What I have read it's only based on a statistic made by a player group based on users of the LCU's EDMC plugin "USS survey". That's not really giving hard facts. But that's only what I have read here until now.

I think the treshold is not known. It's only assumed and may be totally different from what is believed. What I have read it's only based on a statistic made by a player group based on users of the LCU's EDMC plugin "USS survey". That's not really giving hard facts. But that's only what I have read here until now.
The target may also be increasing, possibly due to increased (in the background) presence by the thargoids as their objectives are thwarted.

An alien race facing determined opposition to it's goals would likely increase the resources sent to achieve those goals.

It is not precisely known because fdev doesn't tell anyone, anything, ever. However, we are very sure Fdev is playing with the numbers. We have been at this a very long time and FDev continues to raise the defense targets because what constituted a successful defense one week would be a failed defense the next week and so on. 36 weeks ago successful defense was about 3.000 kills per system. The two previous weeks it was 6k kills, now its more... 7k, 8k, 9k who knows for sure. We can't and/or won't continue to jump through Fdevs increasingly ridiculous hoops. This, may in fact, be exactly what Fdev wants and they have the tools to discourage players from doing anything in game. In weeks 29-31 we were able to defend both targets, in weeks 32-33 we lost 1 of 3, in weeks 34-35 we lost 2/3... Now its week 36 and FDev screwed one of EagleEye messages so we only have two known targets. But the questions is - should we even bother? If FDev wants to invalidate all player efforts they can do so with the press of a button.

Top Bottom