Ships Is the krait upside-down?

I've a sneaking suspicion that the Krait we know and love today is an upside-down version of its original concept. Consider that, in general, the Faulcon DeLacy aesthetic typically features an angular top and flat-ish bottom, while the Krait is quite the opposite. And seriously, just hop in the camera suite and roll over to look at it inverted. It just looks better and seems to make more sense in that orientation.
I'd love to have a ship designer weigh-in here.

¯\(ツ)

My relationship with Elite involves ignoring it in 6-month intervals while waiting for something interesting to be released. I'll see if I can find the stream you mentioned.

Thanks for finding that. Watched the whole thing and at no point do they mention flipping the krait upside-down. The mystery remains.

The idea has crossed my mind more than once. Also, original Krait clearly had the cockpit in the top-side. It was the pirate counterside of the police Viper.

The Krait I also had the weapons on the side and not on its back.
The Krait II just has the same silouette when seen from above and otherwise it has a full restructuring. It also has more than 15 times the volume.

Last edited:
I've a sneaking suspicion that the Krait we know and love today is an upside-down version of its original concept. Consider that, in general, the Faulcon DeLacy aesthetic typically features an angular top and flat-ish bottom, while the Krait is quite the opposite. And seriously, just hop in the camera suite and roll over to look at it inverted. It just looks better and seems to make more sense in that orientation.
I'd love to have a ship designer weigh-in here.
I respectfully disagree. I much prefer it the way that it is.

I respectfully disagree. I much prefer it the way that it is.
Me, too very much. The cockpit visibility is second to none, especially when flying above planet surfaces, and it's surprisingly easy to land in uneven places. For me the Karit II is the best ship in the whole game. It's not the absolute best at anything, but it does everything, and it does it well. Paradoxically I rarely ever fly mine, because I have a fleet of specialized ships that are better at their single task that they are built for.

The underslung cockpit looks deliberate to me. And it makes more sense than a top-mounted cockpit when it comes to landing the ship. The visibility is just much better in that position.

Maybe Faulcon DeLacey felt inspired by Lakon?

I think Krait is one of the best designed ships in the game. It's layout is very much deliberate. Underslung cockpit makes sense in terms of functionality and looks great IMO. In terms of design philosophy it reminds me of Anaconda. Sleek on the top, all the utilitarian business on the bottom.

There are many ships I'd like to nip and tuck, but at the end of the day - I'm not the designer.

Gotta say, the vulture and chieftain cockpits feel a bit squishy being bubble up, and the underslung krait seems a bit better protected.

The Krait is a brilliantly designed ship.

My problem is that it's a Faulcon DeLacey in terms of functionality, but the cockpit design is pure Lakon. The underslung boxy glasshouse design does not feel like Faulcon DeLacey.

I still love the Krait though.

It's one of the ugliest vessels in the game looking from outside IMO, but it compensate it with it's beautiful cockpit.

The Krait is a brilliantly designed ship.

My problem is that it's a Faulcon DeLacey in terms of functionality, but the cockpit design is pure Lakon. The underslung boxy glasshouse design does not feel like Faulcon DeLacey.

I still love the Krait though.
Oh come on, in terms of details and overall cockpit aesthetics it's miles ahead of Lakon. Last Lakon ship I flew was T6, but they all have pretty much same thing. It's like prison cell. That flat steel bench they've put instead of controls panel wouldn't even pass if it was built in a communist state in 1960s. Grey, drab, depressing. Krait is plain inside, but it's not ugly. And canopy has slightly more intricate shape than an aquarium.

Top Bottom