Is The New Bug System Doomed?

It feels to me like the number of PS4 players who are active in the forum is at an all-time low. I know at least a few of us spend more time over in DD than we do this subforum, but still. I bring this up because of the following statement from the new bug reporting system (emphasis mine):
When the number of contributions to an issue reaches a threshold, an issue is then marked as confirmed. The issue can then be voted on, this is how the community can tell us that an issue is an important issue affecting a number of people. The issue will then be investigated by Frontier.
Since bugs now have to be voted on before Frontier will even investigate them, I honestly don't even see the point in reporting them anymore. There are few PS4 players active in the forum, and then most of you are on PS4 Pro, which means any bug that affects Slim / OG owners won't likely get the votes needed to even be looked at, let alone fixed.

Well, it’s a sort of interesting idea, but the interface mechanism certainly blows. I’ve been to the website tracker and you cant even sort issues by platform? Then of course you can only see 5 issues at a time? The search function seems a bit ropey too.
Its not a great interface for trying to identify and solve issues that ‘matter most to the community’ if the entire thing is hidden off the main community interface site and its woeful to try and use? Why isn’t their a leader page with the top 50 issues for each platform?? Why the need for flashy websites that lack the simplest of sensible uses. Looks a lot like form has overtaken function here….
What is the objective of the website exactly because to me it doesn’t look remotely fit for purpose as a bug awareness and voting site that’s for sure?

According to Frontier (I had a little back-n-forth with them), the FAQ was "misleading", and they are going to rewrite at least the part that implies that bugs need to be confirmed and voted on by the community before Frontier investigates them. It sounds like the whole "confirm and vote" system is for our benefit, not Frontier's, and that Frontier will investigate bugs regardless if they are "popular" or not.

The whole thing is still a bit confusing to me, but at least I won't have to go on the campaign trail and bribe people to up-vote my bug reports (though I'll probably do that anyway).

I've submitted dozens of bugs since launch, possibly hundreds, and TBH i'm giving up reporting.

I'll create a bug, with video proof, and not even get a response from QA. Patches come and go, and the bug remains, even if I bump it. They get archived, i'll re-report it, and still nothing.
The new reporting system needs a bug report for itself :rolleyes: Search for "squadron", say wanting to check the multiple-reported PS4 squadron trophy bug, and it returns results which do not mention squadron at all.
Presumably it only searches new bugs, so what's happening with the old - still valid - bug reports?

Hopefully the 2020 version has a proper testing cycle all the way through, they've got 20 month afterall, which should invalidate us needing to report anything but the most game breaking bugs to the maintenance crew.

It always feels like it falls on deaf ears. With having so many bugs in game for such a long time it just feels like a waste of time to even bother reporting them now. FDev is like the boy that cried wolf, we get the same response everytime which in essentials just hot air

I've submitted dozens of bugs since launch, possibly hundreds, and TBH i'm giving up reporting.
I'm not reporting any bugs until the next patch, and if the bugs I've already reported (some multiple times for over a year now) haven't been fixed, then what's the point of reporting them again?

And if I'm not bothering to report bugs, then I'm not bothering to go through Captcha hell again to sign into this new and separate site, which means nobody else's bugs will be getting my confirmation or up-vote.

Frontier should replace the "report player" feature that's IN THE GAME with a "report bug" form. I've been grieved by way many more bugs than players...

That depends on who's viewpoint you look at it from. If it means that FDev can ignore bugs even more then they'll probably think it's a winner.

That depends on who's viewpoint you look at it from. If it means that FDev can ignore bugs even more then they'll probably think it's a winner.
If nothing else, they may have succeeded in "shutting up" people like myself who used to provide very detailed bug reports supported with a plethora of screenshots and videos.

-----UPDATE-----

I've been having some back and forth with a Frontier representative in the official thread for the bug reporter, and the more he responds to my concerns, the less I'm concerned about the new reporting system itself. I'd still like to see "my" bugs actually get fixed, but this is probably a different topic than the OP.

Last edited:

I'll create a bug, with video proof, and not even get a response from QA. Patches come and go, and the bug remains, even if I bump it. They get archived, i'll re-report it, and still nothing.
The new reporting system needs a bug report for itself :rolleyes: Search for "squadron", say wanting to check the multiple-reported PS4 squadron trophy bug, and it returns results which do not mention squadron at all.
Presumably it only searches new bugs, so what's happening with the old - still valid - bug reports?

Hopefully the 2020 version has a proper testing cycle all the way through, they've got 20 month afterall, which should invalidate us needing to report anything but the most game breaking bugs to the maintenance crew.

Exactly this. I've reported lots of bugs, in detail, and I don't think that any of the bugs I've flagged ever got fixed (perhaps only the Minecraft textures). There's really no point.

Also, I see that there is no way to filter the reports according to platform. So we have to browse hundreds of "PC" ones to find those that were already opened about PS4. Why am I not surprised.

Deleted member 38366

D
Let's just say the new System needs a thorough UI overhaul and a few bugfixes for itself. And far more staff to actively work them and stay positively and transparently in touch.

Due to severe lack of
  • visible progress
  • feedback
  • useful/relevant communications
  • and now additionally this (bugged/limited) new Issue Tracker
I've long stopped investing all that time to create professional (properly documented) Bug Reports.

It's one thing if you feel they're releasing untested Alpha Software, another if you feel like being expected as an "unpaid volunteer co-worker for a profit-oriented shareholder Corporation" - and a whole other again once you realize there's often noone listening at the end of the line (unfixed or even unacknowledged Bugs over extreme amounts of time).

So I could use a different, Javascript-enabled Browser now to operate the Issue Tracker, take 10+ hrs to document the ~25 unique new V3.3 bugs just I personally can recall - or just leave it be due to above factors.
"unthankful" doesn't quite fit anymore IMHO, it's well beyond that. So I opted for the latter.

Disclaimer : filed a crapton of Bug Reports in the past, more than I could count, beginning in the pre-Release Beta days.
Back then, things worked extremely well but the process increasingly went downhill year after year somehow. Some Bugs weren't even acknowledged after re-filing them two or even three times over some 18 months (!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 166264

D
Also, I see that there is no way to filter the reports according to platform. So we have to browse hundreds of "PC" ones to find those that were already opened about PS4. Why am I not surprised.

Yeah, it's a pretty stupid design when users have to cycle through several pages of bugs for the other platforms before even getting to one on the platform we play on.

Let's just say the new System needs a thorough UI overhaul and a few bugfixes for itself.....

I've long stopped investing all that time to create professional (properly documented) Bug Reports.

..... once you realize there's often noone listening at the end of the line (unfixed or even unacknowledged Bugs over extreme amounts of time).

So I could use a different, Javascript-enabled Browser now to operate the Issue Tracker, take 10+ hrs to document the ~25 unique new V3.3 bugs just I personally can recall - or just leave it be due to above factors.

.....I opted for the latter.
Look, it's "old" me again! Why? I got logged out of the forums, and to log back using my Frontier-linked account required me dropping all my spyware protection and jumping through a captcha hell. Thankfully I was giving the option to log in using my original forum account (something missing when the forums went live), which is way easier.

Back to the topic, I believe I would need to log into this new bug tracking system using my official Frontier account - aka "captcha hell", only to post bugs that will get ignored like many of the other bugs I've reported since 2.4 dropped. Like you, I've wasted countless hours taking screenshots, recording videos, even testing the game on multiple pieces of hardware, in order to give detailed, scientific bug reports, all which have been given lip service ("We are aware of this issue"), but never to be actually fixed. So like you, I too am saying, "screw it!"

* I actually said "screw it!" awhile ago, but I still submitted the easier 5 minutes to report bugs, back when reporting bugs wasn't such a hassle.

Yeah I’ve spotted newer bugs here and there. Like the starport services UI bug where you can scroll right in the main screen but can’t scroll left. I just can’t be bothered anymore.

Top Bottom