Is there a place list of materials trader locations?

Deleted member 115407

D
Found it...

This thread might help:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/409098-Elite-Dangerous-Beyond-the-features-of-3-0

From it:
Materials Trader

We’ve also added a new contact called a Materials Trade, providing players the ability to hand in materials in exchange for others at set exchange rates based on grade and material type.

This will allow players to trade for rarer items or items obtained by gameplay they do not want to take part in (E.G. killing trade ships) as well as converting stockpiles of unwanted materials to ones that the player needs.

This is not intended to replace material gathering completely, but be a useful tool to help shorten the gameplay loops around gathering materials, making engineering more accessible.

• Allow players to trade one material of another in a single trade.
• Only one trade at a time can be completed.
• Material traders operate on a true barter system. There are no credits involved.
• Traders are split into types – Raw, Manufactured and Encoded.
• Each trader type only trades in their type of materials and can be found in different economy types. Locations material traders can be found are:
- Raw Materials Trader: found at extraction and refinery economies, only trades in raw material found on planet surfaces and planetary rings.
- Manufactured Materials Trader: Found at industrial economies, only trades in manufactured materials.
- Encoded Materials Trader: Found at High Tech and Military economies, only trades in encoded materials.

- Systems also need to be mid to high security systems and have populations between 1,000,000 and 22,000,000.
• Materials Traders will not show up in anarchy systems.
• Materials Traders will not show up at stations that are currently controlled by a criminal faction.
• Materials Traders will be unavailable when a station is damaged, under repair or put on lockdown.
• Horizons is required to use Material traders.
• Material traders can be found using the new map view configuration ‘By Service’ option. This has a 40ly range and only shows traders that you have discovered.
• Material traders will also be shown on the system map in the station services list.
• Material traders will appear in the Human Bubble, Colonia and Pleiades regions at economies types listed above.

And it works. Used that asa guide and found a Data trader straight away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 115407

D
I think the idea is you need to have found the traders first, which is a bit daft. I don't know why you would have to have physically been to a trader before it shows up on the map. Who's idea was this?!

I think FD's intent is that Engineering is supposed to be a gradual adventure of discovery and experimentation.

Found it...

Based on the requirements, they are not showing up in most places. I just visited a corporate Industrial system with a population of 1.5 million and there was no material Trader present. Also the Galaxy filter map appears to be bugged as it shows practically no material Traders.

Deleted member 115407

D
Based on the requirements, they are not showing up in most places. I just visited a corporate Industrial system with a population of 1.5 million and there was no material Trader present. Also the Galaxy filter map appears to be bugged as it shows practically no material Traders.

They are out there, you just have to look.

It's a shame that we don't have the data for systems that we've visited. Oh well.

If you look on the system map, and then on the individual description for the station, it will list material trader if there is one.
That's even if it doesn't trigger the galaxy map from what I can gather.

I think the idea is you need to have found the traders first, which is a bit daft. I don't know why you would have to have physically been to a trader before it shows up on the map. Who's idea was this?!

I think FD's intent is that Engineering is supposed to be a gradual adventure of discovery and experimentation.

It does apply to systems you have been in before 3.0
I have many traders on my map

Purely economic view: When you set up a shop for trading any commodity, wouldn't you like to advertise that there is a service like yours at the location where you are based? The least you do is list your place in the local yellow pages analogue. Therefore it is silly to have players searching for the traders, when they should in fact be searching for customers from the playerbase. I would be monumentally bad idea not showing all the traders in all the starsystem maps that are available to the player.

I for one would love the idea that the hologram ads in- and outside bases would give out valid information.

"Need more Technetium for that G5 rapid pulse laser mod? Check out Palsahill's marketplace at Al-Khujandi Enterprise station, Muang.
Unca Broo recommends Palsahill's!"

Last edited:
Found it...

This.....doesn't make sense. Or its bugged.

I'm in 78 Ursae Majoris. Industrial/Agriculture star system. Population? Over 10 billion. High security. Controlling faction are nice people. No lockdown present.

I'm on Seddon Gateway. Industrial economy station.

There's no mat trader here.

But there is one at McAllaster Terminal @ NLTT 34715 (thanks Inara!)

:S

Last edited:
So, out of the god-knows-how-many grillion residents of the Sol system no one happens to be interested in running a mat trader business. Trading in rarities like, you know, iron. The nearest one lives in Sirius. Seriously?

Fascinating.

These guys should be present all over the place in every single wretched station.

You would think that each engineer would be HAPPY to do some material trading. Or, at the very least, other stations in their same star system would be doing this.

Hm, the filters seem to be bugged for me. Shows nothing for me. I'll file a report.

Not sure if it is a bug or just a terrible design. You can actually find the filtered systems if you ZOOM in really close and look carefully for the colored balls that represent the systems. They are super small and hard to see, and the system names will not be visible unless you move just the right distance away from the colored ball.

I found one of each of the traders near Cubeo using that technique. I was unable to actually click on the system, but I was able to see the name and typed it into the system search field and then clicked onto the system that way.

TOTALLY ! I reported this in Beta 1, and as usual, it was completely ignored.

Last but not least... I had never previously been to any of these three systems, yet I was able to see them in the filtered results. So much for the claim that you have to have visited the system first. NOT TRUE!

Anyone in the Aisling Duval PP group or who spends time in and around Cubeo, here are my three bookmarked systems that contain the three material traders I use.

1) RAW Materials - Clido Pi
2) Manufactured Materials - Pleutarama
3) Encoded/Data - Nehet

At the Starports of course. ;)

Last edited:
I wonder if this is by design. If only some of the systems that met the criteria contain the material traders. That would make sense......in an exploration and discovery sense.

Top Bottom