Is there a real Zoo where Apes live in this kind of Enclosure?

Zoo Rostock (germany) has a Orang habitat with real trees outside, BUT there is some kind of climbing barrier around the trees, so the apes can't really reach the crowns. I can say that the trees don't have any leafs where the animals can reach, but they might very well be cut away by staff as well, so that the animals can't build a bridge out of their enclosure. Remember, apes are escape artists. ;)

View attachment 168013View attachment 168011
View attachment 168014View attachment 168015
View attachment 168016
Hope these upload correctly. Few pics of my "tunnels" as well as the surrounding exhibit and Great Apes Building for good measure. Nothing outstanding but I think they look good enough.

Construction tips for anyone building this: The tunnels are constructed out of individually placed standard 1m glass roof panels. I kept mine short, but there's no reason they can't be built longer/around corners/etc. You do have to manually place each panel, but anyone reading this has the patience to do things like that. I built these when the initial exhibit was under construction, before it had a gate. Believe that I had to place null barriers across the path and then build the tunnels so that the "near" edge of each tunnel was just inside them (so that the tunnels as well as the length of path between them are technically within the habitat). I think one of the pics shows this. I overlapped some of the glass panels, but as you can see this does reduce visibility.

Final note: Since both ends of the tunnel are within the same habitat, and only one gate can be placed per habitat, the part of the habitat on one side of the tunnel must be gateless. Since the keepers obviously can't go through the tunnels, this means that one side of the tunnel can't have any feeders or food enrichment.
View attachment 168006View attachment 168017View attachment 168018
Sorry to hit you with so many screenshots at once, but I just figured out how to do this and kinda got carried away.
That's really cool. It reminds me a bit of the way they connected different parts of their orangutan habitat at the National Zoo in Washington DC. They had these rope bridges, actually, and the orangs could use them to move around over the guest paths. I guess they had great confidence in the animals' staying on the bridges and not dropping down into the crowds :)

It was really cool to walk around in certain parts of the zoo and see them moving around above us. I think it gave the animals a better feeling of agency too, as they could move from one area of their habitat to another whenever they wished.

Unfortunately, there's no way to design something identical to that with the current game dynamics, but the glass bridge captures the feel, at least.

It's true that large primate enclosures rarely have lots of lush vegetation, because they simply tear it apart faster than it can grow in a zoo environment. That half dome exhibit posted up thread is really cool, though, and it definitely looks a lot like some of the habitats players have created.

Last edited:
That's really cool. It reminds me a bit of the way they connected different parts of their orangutan habitat at the National Zoo in Washington DC. They had these rope bridges, actually, and the orangs could use them to move around over the guest paths. I guess they had great confidence in the animals' staying on the bridges and not dropping down into the crowds :)

It was really cool to walk around in certain parts of the zoo and see them moving around above us. I think it gave the animals a better feeling of agency too, as they could move from one area of their habitat to another whenever they wished.

Unfortunately, there's no way to design something identical to that with the current game dynamics, but the glass bridge captures the feel, at least.
It is possible. Have something like that in my Australian Zoo. Sadly they still didn't fix the Bug that makes it impossible for Orangutans and Gorillas to use Ropes even though they are shown as traversable. No one answered the Issue Tracker Report(s)

Did some Google Research while I was waiting for new Drivers to be installed and it seems like big Trees are fine (at least in Chimpanzee Enclosures. Don't know yet what it is like for other Apes).
https://www.zoochat.com/community/media/chimpanzee-enclosure-16-04-2016.322891/
Don't know which Zoo this is from but it proves that it is possible.

Taronga Zoo also has/had Palm Trees in its Chimpanzee Enclosure
Going by the forum bar at the bottom of that page, it would appear to be the Shanghai Zoo

It's true that large primate enclosures rarely have lots of lush vegetation, because they simply tear it apart faster than it can grow in a zoo environment. That half dome exhibit posted up thread is really cool, though, and it definitely looks a lot like some of the habitats players have created.
First, if you think the National Zoo is cool take a look at the Philadelphia Zoo. They've taken that concept much further. Second, while you can't build official rope bridges or such I have since discovered that the glass isn't really necessary; all you need is the climbable piece, and as long as its too high for them to jump down onto the path they'll stay on it. So, you can have animals climbing and walking directly over guests, with no barriers. Right now I'm actually building a series of exhibits for great apes in another zoo that uses this, and it also works for walk-in habitats with lemurs and such.

Top Bottom