Newcomer / Intro Is there a way to hide ship in cockpit view ?

Hello,
I'm a newbie in the elite dangerous world. TBH, I have started playing because I wanted to show the SOL system to my 5 years old boy who is passionate by space.
I have managed to get the sol permit through farming.
Now I'm in the SOL system but I would like to show it in a wide view to expose the beauty of this to my son.
I have manage to remove the hdu(ctrl+alt+g) but the cockipt reduce a lot the view.
I was wondering if there was a way to hide it and have kind of a first person view in the space ? If possible not by altering a config file because I'm playing through cloud gaming.
Another option would be to have a ship with a very wide view(I'm currently using a diamond explorer)
I know there is the camera options but the idea is the travel the sol system and I'm not sure it's easy to do this with camera view.
Thank you for your kind help,

You can use the camera view as a 3rd person view.
Try it. You can set it far behind your ship. It can retain the ship controls (but obviously you'll be missing the hud) so you can eyeball the general direction you are flying to.
And you can also hide all the UI that comes with the camera view

Just try it. Play with the options.

Hello! Welcome to the forum!
You can enter external camera. Default keys are ctrl+alt+space. Then you can enter free camera mode and disable the camera hud. For me it is ctrl and 0. Now you will be able to enjoy the views :)

edit ninja'd a little ;)

Ok I have managed to get a nice view thanks to your advice.
I was wondering if there was a way to display navigation hud to be able to travel from planet to planet in camera mode ?
Is there a way to save settings for a camera config ?

Ok I have managed to get a nice view thanks to your advice.
I was wondering if there was a way to display navigation hud to be able to travel from planet to planet in camera mode ?
Is there a way to save settings for a camera config ?
No navigation HUD or other cockpit view attributes such as night vision while in the cameras.
Your camera control bindings are saved but I don’t believe you can save a default camera view though there might be some way of scripting that.

You'd lose the target destination if you tried to go somewhere in camera mode. Although, you could aim for your target in the cockpit, then switch to camera while in SC. Tricky to control your approach to it though!

Switching between the two every so often is an option but I'd stay in cockpit mode, approach your destination, then switch to camera for great views and photo opportunities.

And... welcome to ED! @@@07

I wonder if Jean Luc Picard did this in the Enterprise? "Take us out Mr Worf! But, can you lose the Enterprise, I really want to just look at the stars..."

:D

Asp Explorer has quite unobstructed cockpit view. Bottom quarter houses the dashboard though.
The least obstructed views are from any of the Lakon greenhouse ships (T6, Keelback, Asps, T7, T9 & T10) or the Kraits, which is the best is down to how annoying you find the lighting in each one.

The beluga also has an enormous window with no struts cutting across it. I don't know if the orca and dolphin are similar.
They are and in the Dolphin you sit in the middle of the window, however there is no hint of a downward view in any of them and they all suffer from reflections from the holographic displays making those same displays harder to see.

Cutter is pretty nice too.
It is though again no downward view and all the luxurious white trim can make the cockpit too bright to read the displays easily.

Top Bottom