Is there an internal option to fade from VR to flat screen when you jump out of your ship?

I haven't played for a while and I have to admit that I do miss the ED.
So if anybody knows is there an internal option/menu option to jump between VR and flat screen or do you have to log all the way out boot up Steam VR then jump back in every time you switch?

So if anybody knows is there an internal option/menu option to jump between VR and flat screen or do you have to log all the way out boot up Steam VR then jump back in every time you switch?
its manual all the way AFAIK. I believe there is a settings "mod" program that will let you switch a bit quicker.

its manual all the way AFAIK. I believe there is a settings "mod" program that will let you switch a bit quicker.
Great! Thanks mate I will look into that ''mod'' IF or when I return to the game.
Sure is a sad state of affairs as far as Elite is concerned especially for the minority like us who enjoy the game in VR.
I miss the game if I was to be honest.
But refuse to play it for obvious reasons.
(I completely ignore Frontier now as I am sick of been lead astray/sick of been lied to.)

Great! Thanks mate I will look into that ''mod'' IF or when I return to the game.
Sure is a sad state of affairs as far as Elite is concerned especially for the minority like us who enjoy the game in VR.
I miss the game if I was to be honest.
But refuse to play it for obvious reasons.
(I completely ignore Frontier now as I am sick of been lead astray/sick of been lied to.)
I haven't heard anything about that. If you need to disable VR you need to go to graphics settings and disable the HMD in the 3D options

I think EDProfiler is what you are looking for. Still have to log out and back in again, but you can select multiple profiles of settings, 2d and 3d

I’ve been enjoying MSFS 2020 recently and love the way that works with VR.

PC settings and VR settings on separate pages. Ctrl + Tab to switch between the two setups. Its so easy. I find I switch to VR just before I load into my aircraft and switch back after landing when I want to use menus - takes zero time and makes using both no issue at all.

I wish FDev could’ve coded something similar within this game.

Have you played with the VR "screen?" It's certainly better than on a monitor, not sure why you'd want to switch unless performance was the goal.

Have you played with the VR "screen?" It's certainly better than on a monitor, not sure why you'd want to switch unless performance was the goal.
Love VR. Hate the headset. If I'm not getting the full benefit of the VR experience I want the blasted thing off my head.

Now I will use the virtual screen in the course of a five minutes' stop at a POI, but no way I'll keep it on when spending a significant amount of time on foot at a settlement.

+1 for a one-button toggle between VR and flatscreen settings.

However, for me switching is not as simple as changing graphics settings - if like me you're dependent on SteamVR, you'll have noticed that it shuts the game down if it detects no headset movement for ten minutes.

So switching out of my headset to flatscreen involves not just manually changing graphics settings, but shutting the game down and restarting it with a \novr switch on a desktop shortcut.

I'd really like for Frontier, if they're not going to give me on-foot VR, to at least have the computer do all that for me - ideally without shutting the game down and restarting it.

You can switch to the ED launcher anytime. You can register your steam key in the frontier store and use the regular launcher.
Sorry, I should have been clearer. My main account is Frontier, not Steam, but I use a Reverb G1, and you can't run a Reverb in ED without SteamVR.

ED detects that I'm using a WMR headset and autolaunches SteamVR unless I start the launcher with the switch described above.

I could run in flatscreen all day with my Rift (had to on occasion till I blundered into discovering how to overcome motion sickness in the SRV :) ) but when I switched to the Reverb, no, ten minutes then shut-down.

Love VR. Hate the headset. If I'm not getting the full benefit of the VR experience I want the blasted thing off my head.

Now I will use the virtual screen in the course of a five minutes' stop at a POI, but no way I'll keep it on when spending a significant amount of time on foot at a settlement.

However, for me switching is not as simple as changing graphics settings - if like me you're dependent on SteamVR, you'll have noticed that it shuts the game down if it detects no headset movement for ten minutes.

So switching out of my headset to flatscreen involves not just manually changing graphics settings, but shutting the game down and restarting it with a \novr switch on a desktop shortcut.

I'd really like for Frontier, if they're not going to give me on-foot VR, to at least have the computer do all that for me - ideally without shutting the game down and restarting it.
First, I fully agree about being able to switch with an easy one click or ideally automatically when the headset turns off. Between dying controller batteries and this, I died yesterday because of it.

Second, wow I couldn't disagree more. I know this is verbotten an opinion, but I really like their VR implementation on foot. If I don't move my head, my brain thinks I'm in VR without any of the usual motion sickness problems. I would prefer full VR obviously if the performance could handle it, but I'll take what I'm given over the flat screen any day.

Second, wow I couldn't disagree more.
To each his own.

I do actually know what you mean about the headset appearing to offer depth if you don't move your head; but for me, the VR effect is heavily dependent on not being in a neck brace :) .

And as I say, I hate wearing the headset, so without the full VR effect I'd rather have the comfort and performance of a flatscreen.

I agree, I could live with VR in the ship and flat screen on foot but the transition sounds like it's going to be a bloody headache!
If possible Frontier should do something about it but I wouldn't hold your breath, they will have there hands full with Odyssey for at lest a year...

I’ve been enjoying MSFS 2020 recently and love the way that works with VR.

PC settings and VR settings on separate pages. Ctrl + Tab to switch between the two setups. Its so easy. I find I switch to VR just before I load into my aircraft and switch back after landing when I want to use menus - takes zero time and makes using both no issue at all.

I wish FDev could’ve coded something similar within this game.
Frontier have been saying for years now that Elite Dangerous would continue always to support VR, I duno if it's just me but I feel if though they owe it to us.
With the current state of things I kinda feel ripped off! They should implement a similar system!

Yeah briefly and I found the screen way to small, if you had the option to make the screen bigger way bigger it wouldn't be to bad.

Top Bottom