General / Off-Topic Is there someone who can show how commonsense relates to us... and also how do we obtain it!!

Im curious to see how many have the ability to express both how it works in relation to us... and how does one obtain it.
Just curious!! :D

The common sense is like a pair of legs. You either have it or you don't.
And your ability to understand walking depends on that, not other people's experiences.

Common sense is merely applying the most vanilla, mundane and unimaginative actions to any situation.
...which is not always a bad thing, of course ;)
If you're on fire, the common sense tells your to jump into water. You could apply your imagination and adventurous spirits and take a hike to the mountains to cover yourself with snow, but something tells me it wouldn't be nearly as effective. :p

...which is not always a bad thing, of course ;)
If you're on fire, the common sense tells your to jump into water. You could apply your imagination and adventurous spirits and take a hike to the mountains to cover yourself with snow, but something tells me it wouldn't be nearly as effective. :p

It's better than nothing... but it'll do little for you in places where hard logic is the rule and not the exception.

Well, one could argue that "common sense" by definition means "taking the logical action with the least effort possible"

Hardly, feeling it is logical =! what is logical, that's why older civilizations knew so little, they believed what felt logical to them, hence, they didn't get too far.

Hardly, feeling it is logical =! what is logical, that's why older civilizations knew so little, they believed what felt logical to them, hence, they didn't get too far.
The things like objective logic are really new (like computers, for example)
Before that logic was always subjective. i.e. what makes sense to you.

I never claimed common sense is the best course of action. It is what it is - common.

The things like objective logic are really new (like computers, for example)
Before that logic was always subjective. i.e. what makes sense to you.

I never claimed common sense is the best course of action. It is what it is - common.

No, objective logic is much older, for example, Euclid wrote a solid axiomatic system to describe geometry a long long time ago. Computers are based on Boolean Logic.

No, objective logic is much older, for example, Euclid wrote a solid axiomatic system to describe geometry a long long time ago. Computers are based on Boolean Logic.
I think we use the word "logic" in a very different way.
I use it in its true sense - reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity. (key word - reasoning). Hence my attempt to explain the common sense with it.

You use it in stead of the word "axiom"

I think we use the word "logic" in a very different way.
I use it in its true sense - reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity. (key word - reasoning). Hence my attempt to explain the common sense with it.

You use it in stead of the word "axiom"

I know what an axiom is, it's not logic on itself, it simply is an assumption from which you use logic to produce theorems. Objective logic uses those axioms to produce the theorems, common sense is strictly a form of reasoning but that doesn't make it logical.

I know what an axiom is, it's not logic on itself, it simply is an assumption from which you use logic to produce theorems. Objective logic uses those axioms to produce the theorems, common sense is strictly a form of reasoning but that doesn't make it logical.
Common sense IS logical by definition, because it means taking action that makes sense.
Your common sense may be wrong, of course, therefore not making sense to others, but that isn't the point.

Common sense IS logical by definition, because it means taking action that makes sense.
Your common sense may be wrong, of course, therefore not making sense to others, but that isn't the point.

"Makes sense" is not something that everyone will agree upon, true logic is. Logic has strict rules on how to be used, common sense rarely uses them.

You are talking about colloquial logic, nothing more.

"Makes sense" is not something that everyone will agree upon, true logic is. Logic has strict rules on how to be used, common sense rarely uses them.
But that is not what this thread is about, is it.
Yes, we developed much more reliable thought systems to go off of than common sense. But that doesn't change what the common sense is.

Top Bottom