Is this Thargoid storyline going somewhere?

At first, disclaimer:

I know this has been probably discussed gazillion times before, but as someone who has been on a break from Elite and someone who hasn't followed these Thargoid related stuff for the past year or so, i need to ask this:

Thargoids swarmed in the Elite galaxy 2 years ago. What has happened since?

mjxj70h.jpg

-Since they got their introduction, they have "expanded" every week to a new system, where they do again, absolutely nothing.
-They pose absolutely no threat at all and you can live your daily life in the bubble as usual.
-You won't be superdicted in the bubble, and at locations you can be superdicted, there's no interaction with them at all, except run or shoot. You can shoot them, but for what? For money?? Well duh.
-Killing them has zero impact on anything.
-Thargoid "bases" plays no role in all of this.
-You cant communicate with them, or do anything else at all. Or kill them of course.
-Where in the frack are the Klaxians?

2 years and nothing concrete has happened. Really??

So, the question is:

Is this the worst written "invasion" going to end soon as its clearly not going anywhere?

Please, correct me if i'm completely wrong. I dont want to start a forum war or debate here, despite of my salty post.
I just want some clarifications to my presumptions as i really want the Thargoids to be interesting, as currently they are far from it.

Hm, I would not say absolutely nothing, but the AXI got their bug killing on point to stop further spreading. Each week on Thursday, 5 systems get an incursion and thair main starports get damaged (just look at the amount of repair icons on the galmap meanwhile) and Galnet showing these systems with a massive Thargoid presence. Then, look again on Wednesday: Threat has been eliminated. Killing them does have an impact and if the AXI wouldn't do what they do, that would probably spread WAY faster.
Also I get hyperdicted quite often when I jump into these systems and it is really annoying when you run on a tight fuel tank.

Meanwhile...
  • Why do the Thargoid Sensors point to Merope?
  • Why do Thargoid probes point to Merope 5c?
  • Why do probes and links reference the permit-locked Col 70 sector Fy-n c21-3 I triangulations?
  • what's going on in HIP 22460, where there is overlook megaship Overlook and a known Thargoid structure, but is permit locked?
  • Wreaken operates in Col 70 sector. When is that going to be relevant to anything?
All these things of interest and more which have been, frankly, left to rot for years now.

[snip]

Is this the worst written "invasion" going to end soon as its clearly not going anywhere?

Please, correct me if i'm completely wrong. I dont want to start a forum war or debate here, despite of my salty post.
I just want some clarifications to my presumptions as i really want the Thargoids to be interesting, as currently they are far from it.

Please have a look here and take the time to read it. The Holdstock Report is a top and hot document, released two 3 weeks ago. It will give you old and new insights about what is currently going on in and around our galaxy.
It is us who are not informed about the background of the Thargoid Invasion and only killing Thargs is the wrong way to handle this "worst written invasion" because we cannot win.

If I have to have an answer today, I'd say what we have is what we are going to have in perpetuity.

Last edited:
Ask and ye shall receive i guess?

Ask and ye shall receive i guess?

Yes, I have and please, have a look at what I responded there and please look at the following most interesting postings, those about "Operation Sanctuary" inclusive.
Thank you.

Yes, I have and please, have a look at what I responded there and please look at the following most interesting postings, those about "Operation Sanctuary" inclusive.
Thank you.
Not really sure why you directed this at me, since I was just posting in general response to the OP...

Just FYI... I ignore most things out of CoR, and this is no different. Have my reasons...

@Henoch
Sorry to reply in a dead thread, but having read the entire report from CoR; the whole thing about the Osir-Raaxlans in relation to the thargoids is to much of a stretch for me. Everything else seems reasonably plausible, however I usually take must reports with a grain of salt.

Thank you for your message! When I read the report I learned a lot because I became aware that my knowledge of the Lore was scrappy. Yes, some parts of it need strong imagination but the authors backed the report with many cross references and links. In my eyes it is a good compilation of the available material, maybe the Egyptian reference is a bit fiction but not the fact that the ancient Egyptians aligned buildings to celestial patterns.

Even then the thing regarding the Osir-raxxlans is till a massive stretch. Everything else up until that was good, but some of the points of the article could be argued over. Also @Jmanis, are stretches like the one outlined in the report, why ya don't read anything from the CoR?

Even then the thing regarding the Osir-raxxlans is till a massive stretch. Everything else up until that was good, but some of the points of the article could be argued over. Also @Jmanis, are stretches like the one outlined in the report, why ya don't read anything from the CoR?
Nope.

I had a longer post which, on second read-through just came off as more whingy with a bunch of useless deviations... so I'll leave it as I don't read it because it's just RP. My group RP as well, and have tried to get involved in plot, plot developments and trying to use things like CG proposals and the like to further player-agency in the game. As such, we're well aware of the limitations of what's possible and what FD will support and what they won't.

So they're fine as far as RP pieces go, but for any tangible in-game outcomes actually relate to the plot arcs FD are producing, they have no bearing as far as I'm concerned. If they do, then let me sit down and talk to you about what my group's been involved in...

And full disclosure...
... there is a chip on my shoulder because FD paid lip-service to my group's CG which we'd waited a year for, had dates locked in, and then got overrun by a bunch of CoR/CoR-related events, without any notification. It took a huge amount of effort on my part as our group leader to rattle FD enough so they'd fix that and get it rescheduled ASAP, but I had to play second-fiddle to all the CoR events because who-knows-why, they're a player group just like mine, and seemed exempt from a bunch of the rules that groups like mine had to play by.

CoR's fault? Probably not, but still leaves a foul taste in my mouth.

Note: If someone reads this and says "But Jmanis, X Y Z!"... believe me when I say I've probably heard every variation of X, Y and Z, and it doesn't change my opinion here.

Hey @Jmanis I used to feel the same way about CoR and Cannon. Or Canonn or however it's spelt.
I've had some involvement with the players from CoR and I can say that they are really dedicated to the game and the Lore. I genuinely think you shouldn't let that shoulder chip bias your opinions of them.

These days they are ice skating uphill with the plot as much as we all are. In fact, you would probably get a lot out of speaking to them and sharing ideas.

Which is your current player group?

I still hate cannon. Arrogant file diving biscuit eaters.

Hey @Jmanis I used to feel the same way about CoR and Cannon. Or Canonn or however it's spelt.
I've had some involvement with the players from CoR and I can say that they are really dedicated to the game and the Lore. I genuinely think you shouldn't let that shoulder chip bias your opinions of them.
FYI, that chip isn't the basis for my opinions, just put it out there that "it's a thing" which probably emboldens my opinions, rather than underpins it. Got plenty more dirty laundry I'm not going to air which formed my opinions well before that. I'm sure as far as people go they're great... in much the same vein I keep in touch with a handful of Canonn members because they're great. And on a personal introspection note... a double-edged sword I wield is I hold a grudge hard. It's what drove me to finally crack the UA morse, but also what maintains this. shrug

I know someone who's a good person... turned out they held some irreconcilable personal beliefs. Still a great person, we chat now and then, but it doesn't mean I'll ever see at eye level with them on that issue, unless they completely abandon it. That's CoR for me.

Anyways, this is all fairly off-topic.

Top Bottom