Issue Tracker now live!

You might also consider de-pseudonymising the "FRONTIER USER #HHHHHHHHHHHHH" references, at least for those who've tied their game and Forum accounts, and/or passing the Issue Tracker through the same swear filter as the Forums (which itself needs a bit of de-fanging, but that's a discussion for another thread).

From a quick browse I haven't read anything yet that would get into the profanisaurus, but I have seen a couple of abbreviations that I know would be blocked or edited by the Forum UI. I fear for what the Tracker might become if players realise they can use profanity with anonymity. It's not a great combination.

I've seen some issues reported that clearly should have been raised as support tickets. IMO more guidance needs to be given as to when to report a bug and when to raise a support ticket - there is currently none at all on the Issues Tracker - there used to be a guide on the old forum. The FAQ of the issue tracker even says "If you are experiencing an issue in one of our games..." which could easily be interpreted as having a support issue.

There's not even a link from the Issues Tracker to the Support website/KB, which is just bizarre.

Tickets are no longer FIFO and are instead prioritized by their weight in the stack. The weight is determined by the number of consumers that are currently ed off that you haven't fixed an issue yet. I get the idea but you're going to bleed out customers by burying the edge cases in the stack. I get that prioritizing issues based on population affected is important for some issues but as you can see with the ludicrous PIP reset ticket you end up wasting resources that could better be spent elsewhere, like optimizing application layer communication protocols. As someone who manages tickets on a daily basis sometimes the best solution is a FIFO stack.

@Maxxermax -- try clearing your browser cache and cookies (recommended by another player in a different thread), it worked for me after a nearly complete apparent lockout.
Thanks for your attempt, I've done so, but it brings me to the auth page and after entering login data back to issue tracker start page without loggin in.

What are we meant to do about supposedly fixed issues that are not in fact fixed, just slightly reduced? E.g. the "planets appear as mapped" blue grid thing. Sometimes this still happens so it is not really fixed. The main difference is there used to be a work-around (change mode and drop briefly from SC), which no longer works! https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/183

Do we have to raise a ticket, or a new issue?

I've got to say, positive though I'm trying to stay this weekend, I'm not overly impressed with the new tracker. The old forum-based system was annoyingly opaque sometimes but at least you had a reasonable level of confidence that someone at FD had read a submission at least once. Or that, even if they hadn't, it would be be found by other players using the search function, who would add feedback and naturally bump it up the page.

I wouldn't have thought it possible but the new one is arguably even worse. It gives the appearance of being more transparent but the implementation isn't great. An issue has to go through at least three stages (submission, confirmation, acknowledgement) before it's in with a chance of making it onto the to-do list, and one of those stages is a voting system that is already biased in favour of submissions by members of larger organised groups. Add in a very basic search system and on the one hand you'll have single submissions being confirmed and upvoted by organised groups, while on the other hand individual players who might miss similar but differently worded submissions end up submitting several versions of the same report without ever getting the weight of numbers behind a single submission.

It's just a mess. Out of curiosity yesterday I ignored the search function and went straight for View All Issues for Elite. Found something interesting on page 4. Clicked on it to check the details, then in the absence of a Back button on the page itself, clicked the Back button on the browser. Which took me straight back to PAGE 1 of the list. Of 106 PAGES. It doesn't even remember where you were on the master list.

A "proper" bug tracker is long overdue and this is a nice idea, but it still needs a lot of UX work IMO.

Paul_Crowther

Community Manager
Frontier
Hey all,

Thanks for all the feedback so far. Just to help assure so of you, reports posted in the tracker will be reviewed. They don't have to have hit a certain statue or number of votes, been confirmed by multiple people in order to be noticed, those features are to help our QA team identify what's currently causing more frustration. They will still review reports even if they haven't been confirmed by multiple others.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. Just to help assure so of you, reports posted in the tracker will be reviewed. They don't have to have hit a certain statue or number of votes, been confirmed by multiple people in order to be noticed, those features are to help our QA team identify what's currently causing more frustration. They will still review reports even if they haven't been confirmed by multiple others.
That's not at all clear from the UI, so thanks for the clarification. +1.

That's great, but I've been having trouble accessing the issue tracker for the last several days...
The Issue Tracker needs your game id/pwd instead of the forum authorizations, maybe that helps? Also, I had to clear my browser cookies and cache before it would allow me in.

Come on now, Commanders! Yes, the new Issue Tracker takes some getting used to, but Jiminy Crickets, you guys seem to have never met a Search function before. I had yet another CTD after killing a Skimmer and figured I would add a Confirm report to what I thought would be one, two or maybe three Issue reports.

There are at least fourteen, most for Win10 PC configs, and that from searching keyword "Skimmer", the obvious choice. Is that difficult? Not even. Then just confirm the original report rather than generating a new one.

Thanks.

PS. I'm really surprised this big bad bug has not made it to Confirmed, it affects a broad swath of mission types and is a real game breaker, as it happens repeatedly even after restarts from an earlier crash due to same bug.

Last edited:
Looks like the "issue tracker" isn't covering the bugs that were reported before the tracker was up?

Like the 3ds max animation bug that's been implemented in late december and that has been reported numerous
times and those reports were then deleted but the bug itself was never remedied.

This has been over 5 months(!) now. And weirdly enough only 3ds max doesn't work anymore... (and it worked when TMTK went live)
Maybe there are certain creators Frontier doesn't want in their community? All the while advertising a few selected others?

I'd really like to know whether there is gonna be a fix or not. This should have been fixed PRE Issue Tracker,
and if not, at least some info would have been nice... because if not i will have to find a workaround. (and i will)

This issue has already cost me 3 weeks of testing, and i could even point you right to where the bug may occur,
but obviously i might as well say all this to myself in front of a mirror.

Top Bottom