Hardware & Technical Issues with analouge stick on Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle

Hey everyone,

I've been playing Elite for a while though I took a somewhat long break before returning to it just recently. I am using a Thrustmaster T.16000m Hotas Setup with one stick and the throttle. It used to work fine but now after getting back in I noticed an issue with my control for the maneuvering/docking thrusters. I use the analouge stick on the back of the throttle to control my ship during the docking process but unlike before, I often get stuck in an endless, if slow, downwards motion even if I stop touching the stick or haven't touched it at all yet. Usually moving it up cancels the thrust and my ship remains still, at least for a short time before it goes down again.

After checking with another game I realized that the stick, even if in its default position, reacts as if I was pushing it down just slightly (I noticed that specifically when I launched an unrelated game and my menu cursor kept going to the very bottom without my doing until I checked every axis on my hotas setup and identified the issue source). As someone who doesn't exactly have a lot of experience with this kinda stuff I'd assume there is an actual hardware defect present, although I have had the setup for a couple of years already and it never was an issue until now. Strangely enough I can't recall what could have caused this as even during the downtime the throttle was always on my desk, undisturbed by anything that could have caused the stick to be pushed down for a prolonged time (if something like that could even cause this kind of issue).

So before going for the option of getting it fixed, I wanted to ask if there is a way for me to either fix it myself without having to take the entire thing apart or if the Target Software could help, though I have never used it and would prefer to keep it that way if at all possible.

Thank you all in advance for your replies and I hope this issue can somehow be fixed without having to send the throttle away.

Regards
Stealth300

Increase deadzone to around 10-15% especially on the vertical axis of the ministick. The components used for those ministicks generally don't centre all that precisely, and after some use they will develop a bit of slop or gather a grain of dust.

Maybe increase the deadzone in ED. Or maybe try calibrating it while holding the stick slightly offset.
Thanks for the quick reply and enlightening me about what the Deadzone actually is. I suppose it would have helped if I hadn't ignored that word for many years. Although I'm not sure what you mean with calibrating it or rather I don't recall seeing that as an option in ED at any point. Then again I just assigned the needed buttons and such and left it at that so I probably overlooked something.

Increase deadzone to around 10-15% especially on the vertical axis of the ministick. The components used for those ministicks generally don't centre all that precisely, and after some use they will develop a bit of slop or gather a grain of dust.
Thanks for the tip, at least it's good to hear that it isn't any improper storage or the sort from my part but rather a usual problem for ministicks.

Although I'm not sure what you mean with calibrating it or rather I don't recall seeing that as an option in ED at any point.

If you haven't already, you should calibrate it in Windows. Doing that might help. When doing so you could also experiment - when Windows asks you to center the ministick and click a button, you could try holding it slightly off center instead. This could potentially help with having it recenter properly.

Thanks for the tip, at least it's good to hear that it isn't any improper storage or the sort from my part but rather a usual problem for ministicks.
Yep, don't sweat it. Mine is doing the exact same thing and I haven't been able to calibrate it. Dead zones are the way to go, here.

Calibration is always a good thing, but you even need to be careful with that to get the correct centre position :-D On my CH throttle if I don't carefully fiddle the stick back to centre but just let it snap, it will become centred around a high or low position and I need to increase deadzones.

My current binds are set to a whopping 23% deadzone for thrusters, and honestly I find the increased "play" even helps me with being precise.

Top Bottom