Issues with main game (and enjoyment) after starting Alpha

I may be in a unique situation here, but I've found that my love for Elite has waned now that the Alpha has arrived.

Some background:
I started playing Elite around June '20 and have logged around 1600 hours since. My rig is a desktop PC (i5-2500k overclocked to 4.7GHz across all cores, 8GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 1060 6GB) and runs (well, ran, but more on that later) Elite with no problem at High graphical settings. After starting out keyboard and mouse, I moved to using dual sticks (2x Thrustmaster T.16000M) once I realised I was hooked - and purchased VoiceAttack and HCS packs. The dual sticks were an eye opener to me, completely different gaming experience and I loved it.

When the Alpha dropped I was giddy like a lot of people, but things went wrong very early. First off I had problems with controls - mapping FPS movements to dual sticks was ok, but the experience isn't great. I will likely revisit that at some point, but it's just cumbersome and unpleasant to use. My limited desk space means I can't switch between sticks and keyboard easily, but that's where it looked like I needed to go - it's not ideal when I'm heavily invested in one control system for flight. Unfortunately I couldn't actually go anywhere as, even with dropping graphical settings to Low, I couldn't leave Hopkins - as soon as I tried to load the Adityan system map (directly or via Apex) I got a crash to desktop. This hasn't changed, so I had to abandon my desktop for Alpha testing.

Luckily I have a gaming laptop with 32GB RAM, and that runs the Alpha absolutely fine. So I could wander round, take some missions, die horribly multiple times and...well, that was it. I died easily far too often (as reported many times) and have yet to successfully complete a mission. I find the visual mix of UI elements confusing, particularly the radial menus which don't look right to me and I find difficult to map effectively - it's jarring going back to keyboard mapping after using sticks, and I've struggled with it. Overall it's been a frustrating experience.

Having had my Alpha excitement dashed I decided to take a break and do the recent CG in the main game, and this is where things took a turn for the much worse. The main game on High settings now crashes to desktop within 5 minutes. If I drop the settings to Low I get a reasonably stable experience, but still the odd crash, and it obviously looks a lot different visually to what I'm used to. Something to do with the Alpha installation appears to have changed the main game so that it's no longer optimised.

And all of this has culminated in me, for the first time in 10 months, not feeling like I need to spend every spare hour playing Elite. In fact I'm actively avoiding playing now. Which makes me incredibly sad. Maybe it was due to happen around now anyway, but the Alpha experience has certainly been a trigger for me. I don't know if anyone else has had an experience like this, but I just wanted to put it out there.

Hey i have a very similar rig!! I love my 2500k. Mines only at 4.1 though, with a cheapest that isn't stock cpu cooler and a non enthusiast mother board. Do have 16 gigs of ram though, only got the extra 8 last year. And my 1060 only has 3 gigs of ram.

.... What..? Don't look at me like that. All i did was not upgrade my monitor to 4k. 9 years and it still does 2560x1600 or in a pinch 1080p at full details.

I didn't choose to download the alpha because i was worried that there will be nothing left for launch if i tried it all now. Seems like a profitable decision so far. I get the impression the excitement is easily spent given what's there. Its also looking like odysee will turn out pretty close to expected, ie everyone will integrate it where it touches the ship game and fps combat == same as srv missions today.

EDIT: Op, maybe just pick out your custom bindings files and reinstall? Delete all the rest of the stuff in app data to be sure?

Last edited:
I don't have the graphics problem you're describing when going back to the main game (i.e. it still runs fine afaik) but in all other regards I totally relate to this post. Did not enjoy my initial forays into the Alpha (didn't like the gameplay, disappointed by the graphics and many aspects just weren't as I'd imagined them) and it somehow spoiled my enjoyment of the main game too - basically left me feeling depressed about the whole thing and I walked away for three days and started playing Dirty Rally 2.0 in VR (which was sensational by the way).

A challenge to Buckyball race the Apex taxi time in the main game got me back in a little bit (reminding me why I loved it) and then I finally had a pleasant experience in Odyssey when I decided to give it one more go and some things kinda clicked into place. Wrote it up in the feedback thread.

Odyssey training scenario desperately needed.

I've been really struggling with the Odyssey Alpha, so much so that for a short while it very nearly killed my love of Elite itself.

But I think I'm finally starting to see light at the end of tunnel. Here's what happened.

After walking away from Elite for several days I finally (and with much trepidation) went back to Odyssey today. I was still at a settlement where my earlier mission had now timed out. It was deserted and also well lit. More by luck and trial and error than anything else I had the Maverick suit and a primary weapon. I spent about 20 mins just exploring the settlement at my own pace (no timers, no guards, no objective). I worked out how to cut open panels, overcharge door locks, find and use health and energy packs, cut open and loot lockers, properly use terminals, did some target practice on red barrels with the weapons and even went for a little walk out into the desert (safe with a supply of energy cells and health packs - which I'd finally figured out how to use). I REALLY needed that experience ... it's all so much better once you start to feel more confident with how everything works. I then went back and picked up a mission to restore the power and put out some fires ... and I completed it (again, pretty much in my own sweet time, with no NPCs stressing me out).

In conclusion (and for all I know Frontier are already working on this) - Odyssey really needs a very calm and gentle (and well lit) training scenario/walkthough. Just something to get used to all the bindings, how the equipment and controls work and covering the key principles required to interact with the settlements and complete missions. And then a follow-up scenario (or part of the same scenario triggered, when you're ready, by reaching a certain objective - perhaps a short shuttle ride to another settlement?) which introduces the player to interactions with NPCs, and ultimately some simple combat.

Hey i have a very similar rig!! I love my 2500k. Mines only at 4.1 though, with a cheapest that isn't stock cpu cooler and a non enthusiast mother board. Do have 16 gigs of ram though, only got the extra 8 last year. And my 1060 only has 3 gigs of ram.

.... What..? Don't look at me like that. All i did was not upgrade my monitor to 4k. 9 years and it still does 2560x1600 or in a pinch 1080p at full details.

I didn't choose to download the alpha because i was worried that there will be nothing left for launch if i tried it all now. Seems like a profitable decision so far. I get the impression the excitement is easily spent given what's there. Its also looking like odysee will turn out pretty close to expected, ie everyone will integrate it where it touches the ship game and fps combat == same as srv missions today.

EDIT: Op, maybe just pick out your custom bindings files and reinstall? Delete all the rest of the stuff in app data to be sure?

Yes, 2500k is an awesome CPU! Mine has been rock solid overclocked with air cooling, been a perfect investment.

Really good point about reinstall. I back up my key bindings whenever I change anything, so removing the alpha and main game and then installing just the main again is a good idea, thanks.

And all of this has culminated in me, for the first time in 10 months, not feeling like I need to spend every spare hour playing Elite. In fact I'm actively avoiding playing now. Which makes me incredibly sad. Maybe it was due to happen around now anyway, but the Alpha experience has certainly been a trigger for me. I don't know if anyone else has had an experience like this, but I just wanted to put it out there.

Sounds like you were on a bit of an Elite spree, chasing ever more immersion by investing in new hardware and tools, and now Alpha made you stumble and look around. Don't sweat it, it's only a game - real life jobs and hobbies can't sustain that level for focus long term either. And don't beat yourself up for spending every spare hour in space - there is a global crisis going on.

FWIW I had a similar experience a couple of years ago. An unexpected illness popped the bubble after I had gone big with HOTAS, pedals, VR, Buttkicker etc. I sold the gear and took up a different hobby, now Elite is a pastime, not a fixation.

This is the reason why I skipped the Alpha - why put yourself through the actual work of testing unfinished, unoptimised, unbalanced product (while additionally paying for it) at the risk of spoiling the joy of playing new game?
I mean, I too wanted to have Odyssey earlier, but I also knew that it will not be the game I wanted, but buggy hell with lots of unexpected problems.
I also realise some people might enjoy testing Alpha and there's nothing wrong with that, but you can't have good impression of the game, when you're testing the bugs, looking for few minutes of good time without them. I prefer to have my initial encounter with Odyssey not marred by them. I want some Wow! moments while playing, not "oh, that finally is better then in Alpha" moments.

This is the reason why I skipped the Alpha - why put yourself through the actual work of testing unfinished, unoptimised, unbalanced product (while additionally paying for it) at the risk of spoiling the joy of playing new game?
I mean, I too wanted to have Odyssey earlier, but I also knew that it will not be the game I wanted, but buggy hell with lots of unexpected problems.
I also realise some people might enjoy testing Alpha and there's nothing wrong with that, but you can't have good impression of the game, when you're testing the bugs, looking for few minutes of good time without them. I prefer to have my initial encounter with Odyssey not marred by them. I want some Wow! moments while playing, not "oh, that finally is better then in Alpha" moments.

Yup, I get this. It was a deliberate choice on my part, because I quite enjoy testing and I wanted to have some input into the alpha process - Elite has a wide range of play styles, so I think it's important that a variety of people get involved with the alpha to make it a better game when it comes to final release.

At the moment though I've lost a lot of faith in how the FPS elements mesh with the space sim elements for me, with my specific set up. I don't see how the controls will work when (again, for me) the space sim side is so much better with a HOTAS or HOSAS set up, and FPS is much better with keyboard and mouse. Until I move house and can get a bigger desk of course, but that seems just a little excessive spend for Elite. Or is it...

What I didn't expect at all was the detrimental effect on the main game experience from having the alpha installed. I guess that's going to be pretty unique to my combination of components, but it's made my overall Elite experience much worse.

What I didn't expect at all was the detrimental effect on the main game experience from having the alpha installed. I guess that's going to be pretty unique to my combination of components, but it's made my overall Elite experience much worse.

It's been a long running issue that while the launcher allows multiple versions of the game as discrete Products, the user configuration is shared (hence the warnings to back up bindings before installing an alpha/beta). I haven't looked into what new stuff Odyssey writes there, but I'd be surprised if that is not what is going on.

Some links where to look (the part under Frontier Developments\EliteDangerous in %AppData% is user config, the parts under Products, if under %AppData% are distinct versions):

First off I had problems with controls - mapping FPS movements to dual sticks was ok, but the experience isn't great. I will likely revisit that at some point, but it's just cumbersome and unpleasant to use. My limited desk space means I can't switch between sticks and keyboard easily, but that's where it looked like I needed to go - it's not ideal when I'm heavily invested in one control system for flight.
A tenkeyless keyboard (like this one: https://www.hyperxgaming.com/en/keyboards/alloy-fps-pro-mechanical-gaming-keyboard) is perfect for this. One of the best things I ever bought for my desk. Not only it is a great keyboard, but it saves a lot of space, and how many times do we use the numpad anyway?

Fits perfectly between the Throttle and Joystick, it evens looks like part of the cockpit, and allows you to use it together with the HOTAS. Then I just use the mouse on the right side of the Joystick. It works perfectly unless you have very small arms.

I agree regarding the training part, it's needed, I never came around to do any training session as I like to just jump into it, die a lot and then learn.
However not everyone is like that and for those players and good progressive training session is needed.

Watching some of the many HOW TO videos out there is also a good way to learn how to do stuff, the FPS part you can't watch a video, you need to train that, a lot.

A tenkeyless keyboard (like this one: https://www.hyperxgaming.com/en/keyboards/alloy-fps-pro-mechanical-gaming-keyboard) is perfect for this. One of the best things I ever bought for my desk. Not only it is a great keyboard, but it saves a lot of space, and how many times do we use the numpad anyway?

Fits perfectly between the Throttle and Joystick, it evens looks like part of the cockpit, and allows you to use it together with the HOTAS. Then I just use the mouse on the right side of the Joystick. It works perfectly unless you have very small arms.
Sorry could not resist 😂 :devilish:
iu

At the moment though I've lost a lot of faith in how the FPS elements mesh with the space sim elements for me, with my specific set up. I don't see how the controls will work when (again, for me) the space sim side is so much better with a HOTAS or HOSAS set up, and FPS is much better with keyboard and mouse. Until I move house and can get a bigger desk of course, but that seems just a little excessive spend for Elite. Or is it...
Yeah, I'm a bit worried about this. I can probably organise my desk so I can get the keyboard between the HOTAS, but it'll be tricky getting to the mouse. I can use a controller for most ground stuff but it's terrible for combat.

The other thing is switching from VR to flat. Hopefully the flat in-headset screen will be good enough to play with, but if it's not having to take off the headset and change graphics settings is going to get old fast. It might be that I end up deciding whether I'm going on-ground or in my ship for the whole session, which would be a shame.

What I didn't expect at all was the detrimental effect on the main game experience from having the alpha installed.
Frankly, I wouldn't expect this also, but on the other hand I recently accidentally launched old Combat Tutorial Demo I found in elite folder and it completely ruined all my settings, including resetting graphics and deleting my key bindings.

Top Bottom