It's 2022, fix your pathing already.

People have been asking for YEARS since PC came out in 2016. Fix. Your. Pathing. It is hot garbage.
I’d love to see pathing fixed. I also know the chances of that happening are near-zero. There’s no chance of making money off of it (what would they do, make a pathing rework DLC?) and the path system is a foundation around which the game is built, along with habitats. They can probably do smaller big fixes, but fixing the pathing (the specifics of which I’m not sure since you didn’t say) on a large scale would be lots of work for little monetary reward.

I’d love to see pathing fixed. I also know the chances of that happening are near-zero. There’s no chance of making money off of it (what would they do, make a pathing rework DLC?) and the path system is a foundation around which the game is built, along with habitats. They can probably do smaller big fixes, but fixing the pathing (the specifics of which I’m not sure since you didn’t say) on a large scale would be lots of work for little monetary reward.
Agree, unfortunate as it is, I agree. Pathing is too to intrinsically tied to so many things in the game that I don't know how they're rework it. If the animals are the heart of the game, pathing is the spine.

Yeah I think the paths stopped being super annoying after like Month 2 of playing for me. I agree that the system isn't great but as I understand it it's basically the foundation of the rest of the game in terms of design, so we likely won't see any improvements until we get a hypothetical sequel. I'm just glad it's not entirely grid-based like in the old Zoo Tycoon games. I like that the paths can be long, smooth curves. The only place I have problems with it is when I design underwater viewing areas since you need a lot more space than is realistic.

My main issue with the pathing is still the terrible collision restrictions with water, barriers and terrain. It makes it such a pain to work with, not to mention renovating older sections of the zoo...you wanna palce that path right back where it was before? Yeah, sorry, no can do OBSTRUCTED! So damn annoying.

That and the fact that they have collision with themselves, the old ZT2 pathing solved that waaay better (same for the habitat/gate system but that's a whole other issue). Just let me place them over each other and don't have them work like track peices for a ride making everything needlessly complicated.

But yeah, I also kinda gave up on it. It's been way too long and if they didn't bother fixing this until now they probably never will...Hoping for mods and their updates again...

I'd be happy if they just took off the restraints surrounding pathing. I'm so tired of getting error messages, having to detail-obsess terraforming down to eye level, deleting barriers and doors and objects that are 15 feet away just to figure out whats blocking my wide-open completely flat pathing from connecting to something else. I so badly wanna do elevated things and the time consumption is just not worth it.

The way that I see it is that you need to learn how to wrestle with the path system in order to get it to work for you. It's honestly really awesome all things said, of course it's awful for new players, but once you discover the trick to making paths is deleting them sometimes, it flows a lot better. The only main complaint I have about the path system is filling in smaller gaps in larger, more organic plazas and the like.

As beautiful and realistic it looks, if you use this trick to do smaller pathways, but honestly: the 4 m path already gets drowned in guests - I don't wanna see what would be happening to 2 m paths. I don't think Frontier will do them, because they know, NPC would getting stuck.

I think its difficult because its linked to some AI stuff but honestly, this pathing system drives people away from playing. Means profit loss for Frontier.

People have been asking for YEARS since PC came out in 2016. Fix. Your. Pathing. It is hot garbage.
Don't bother with making posts like these because this is an apologist community and people will just tell you you need to get used to what is bad game design and laziness from the developer's part, like many people did on my thread.
Imagine needing to use a mod (FreeBuild) to fix the pathing in your game because the developers won't.
Yikes.

I wouldnt say im an apologist when its literally a thing you just need to get used to.
Sorry to say that, but even building games have a skill curve and the pathing in Planet Zoo, while not perfect, is literally just something to get good at using.
It comes with time and experience in the game and i promise you for most things its more then just fine, as its actually pretty good.
Is it annoying for newbies including me when i started out?
Sure but its really not a big deal, you just need to learn how to use it.
There are far bigger issues in the game that need fixing, like basically everything management related, while the pathing mostly just needs some more bug fixes, that it is activly getting.
Somebody else allready said it, but the only bigger changes that should be added are 2m paths and null paths, even though i would argue that the natural paths allready kind of fill that role.
And even the 2m paths arnt without issues, because the Guests and staff will propaply have problems navigating in that restructed space which props is the reason why it isnt here in the first place

Last edited:
Interesting how having to learn to use certain tools is bad design for some people.
If there's something in your game that needs a mod to be fixed and many people suggest that mod as being essential, I'd say that's a game design issue.
My issue isn't needing to learn to use the tool. It's that learning requires you to delete things in order to be able to place something, just to have to build it again later.
No other game does this and that makes Planet Zoo unique in a terrible way because it's the only game where working with paths makes you want to slam your head against a wall repeatedly.

That is: redundant, tedious, a waste of the player's time, something that can be fixed (FreeBuild's creator did it) and annoying.
The devs could fix it because someone already has but won't and that is bad management as well :)
Games will never improve as long as people accept badly designed systems and don't demand a change happens.

Top Bottom