It's a new week, let's talk Elite!

@Zac Cocken Have you read the last two I'm leaving/talking a break threads? I think the amount of vitriol in both of them is disturbing Id like to see a mega thread where cmdrs can leave their personal reasons for putting down elite it would be in my IMO a good resource for FD.

As for your practice of FA off Zach, besides the asteroids may i suggest finding yourself an installation, there used to be a cool scientific one in San Tu (not sure if it's still there) but flying around it in FA off is great practice because there are tunnels etc. If you have a visual frame of reference I found that very helpful in learning it.

Also the space dust outside stations is now too dark to see properly and means it makes seeing your relative vector much harder in Odyssey.. Grrrr

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
o7 Commanderinos,

I don't know about you, but I need a bit of a distraction from this monstrosity of heat in the UK right now, so let's talk some Elite!

What are your plans in-game for the week? What are you enjoying at the moment? What's not so great?

Got any feedback or suggestions for me? Any FA-OFF advice? Stream ideas?

I'm particularly interested in knowing the ship you recommend learning FA-OFF in, something cheap please!

I'm all ears for the next couple of hours!

I'm approaching Statue of Liberty nebula with my Fleet Carrier, where it will serve as a temporary base, while I explore the nearby stars with my good old Asp Explorer :)

Then it's off towards the centre, and then Beagle Point!

I found a gas giant with 2 inner rings, then 2 moons, then a MASSIVE ring which was 5.40 Ls wide (that is 1.6 million km!!!), but the wide ring was invisible in game :(

Zac Cocken

Junior Product Manager
Frontier
Hey Zac, have you / the people at frontier seen the feedback discussed in these threads? What is your personal opinion on this?

Going to look into it - my personal view is that it would be nice to have no limit on the customisation but there may be technical reasons as to why there has to be at the moment!

Nice! Are you typically an explorer and translated into bacteria hunting in Odyssey, or is this somewhat new to you?

Not really an explorer, surveyor maybe. Did some bio and geo hunting in Horizons but don't generally like to stay out for too long at a go. There are a couple of us on the carrier though, so I'll probably be found ring mining evemtually, while they carry on.

Most interested in bacterias because they're the most primitive and hardest to find. Have stumbled across other bios too of course and while not cataloging them properly (yet) they definitely remind me of early Paleozoic (even Proterozoic) life.

Especially the fungi as (did you know) it's thought the ability of some to break down and digest solid rock prepared the land for more complex plants on Earth, by creating the first soils.

So I really like the design direction.

Last edited:
Another bit of feedback Zac:

This is to do with the game design over criminal actions. I like the idea of being sent to prison, that's great but please for the love of goodness transport our ships there if we die! It is such a monumental waste of time if you fail a mission to then have to go recollect your ship and try and remember where you were too.

Also please look into the idea of shared missions not failing if we are in a wing and only one person dies, it's game over for everybody and again a massive waste of time if the mission giver dies, to promote gameplay, keep everyone having fun and give them a reason to actually share a wing, have the mission only fail if all team members die. That's fair. Otherwise you are wasting all your friends time!

Zac Cocken

Junior Product Manager
Frontier
@Zac Cocken Have you read the last two I'm leaving/talking a break threads? I think the amount of vitriol in both of them is disturbing Id like to see a mega thread where cmdrs can leave their personal reasons for putting down elite it would be in my IMO a good resource for FD.

I do tend to read any posts where players are unhappy in order to keep up to date. I actually think the opposite personally, the fact they're on an individual basis makes them harder for me to miss than scouring through a mega thread.

Unfortunately my plans for Elite are to not play it at all, like any other PC game, as my room is hot enough without dumping a hundred or two watts of computer heat into it. I would take a cold shower but... the water supply's out as well :|
But I did just get my copy of Skyward Sword HD so I'll probably be playing that on my Switch while drowning in my own sweat

Zac Cocken

Junior Product Manager
Frontier
I'm approaching Statue of Liberty nebula with my Fleet Carrier, where it will serve as a temporary base, while I explore the nearby stars with my good old Asp Explorer :)

Then it's off towards the centre, and then Beagle Point!

I found a gas giant with 2 inner rings, then 2 moons, then a MASSIVE ring which was 5.40 Ls wide (that is 1.6 million km!!!), but the wide ring was invisible in game :(

What a find! Shame about the ring, was it visible in Horizons? Maybe the Stellar Forge was just TOO STRONG.

Zac Cocken

Junior Product Manager
Frontier
Unfortunately my plans for Elite are to not play it at all, like any other PC game, as my room is hot enough without dumping a hundred or two watts of computer heat into it. I would take a cold shower but... the water supply's out as well :|
But I did just get my copy of Skyward Sword HD so I'll probably be playing that on my Switch while drowning in my own sweat

Honestly, I can't blame you right now Drinky! This heat is something else, I've been using my Switch a lot too, just to avoid extra room heat :LOL:

Zac Cocken

Junior Product Manager
Frontier
This is actually along the lines of what I would say: While cheap also means small and manoeuvrable, heavier ships should generally be considered easier for learning FA Off. Like pretty much anyone learning to fly without assist, you will "do" way too much at first and the more manoeuvrable a ship is, the more wildly it will react. Anyway, if you're at the very beginning with this, I wouldn't start docking right away and recommend a nice bright asteroid belt to raise the (inevitable) frustration threshold a bit for the beginning.

Good luck! I just hope you have more talent than me and don't need 3 months until you manage something that looks halfway like a controlled landing. I almost got tendinitis back then... but it's all worth it! (y)

This is a good explanation actually - the bigger ships might be easier. I've managed a few FA off landings but they weren't smooth!

While i find that the forum is full of that info, a comprehensive list with clearly set rules would perhaps help getting more focused feedback. All in all, not just asking the active players, but those who left, for their feedback is a good thing to do.

A great example on how well that could go is Elder Scrolls Online. That thing, at launch, was a steaming pile of biowaste. Similar to Odyssey at launch, it had a very unique combination of bugs, technical problems and design flaws. It drove players away quickly. Many other publishers would have shut the game down a year after of such a terrible launch. Instead they listened to the community, and not just to those who stayed, but even more to those who have left. And did a lot of rework on the game. And 'lo and behold, while it took them 3 years of hard work, they managed to turn it into an awesome game and by now, as far as we players know, also a very healthy and financially successful one.

I so much hope that Odyssey can go through a similar cycle, and hopefully even faster than within 3 years.

Last edited:
Going to look into it - my personal view is that it would be nice to have no limit on the customisation but there may be technical reasons as to why there has to be at the moment!
In Halo they made certain costume pads etc unlockable through in game grind, but the grind was fun. How about using some more of those materials that we pick up to unlock some costume shapes, and still make colours purchasable by arx.. then you could see at a glance how advanced a cmdr was by his/her outfit but you would still earn by the personalisation of the colours.

Top Bottom