It's a new week, let's talk Elite!

hey @Zac Cocken !

I'm also having to take temporary refuge from the heat! It is a scorcher!

Anyway, this is a bit of an oldie, but... what's the thoughts on an in-game archive of galnet articles? (It wasn't in the pipeline last time it got a response, but that was back near the launch of the 3.3 beta! :D )

Zac Cocken

Junior Product Manager
Frontier
hey @Zac Cocken !

I'm also having to take temporary refuge from the heat! It is a scorcher!

Anyway, this is a bit of an oldie, but... what's the thoughts on an in-game archive of galnet articles? (It wasn't in the pipeline last time it got a response, but that was back near the launch of the 3.3 beta! :D )

I can't say it's something that's in the works at the moment that I know of, but I agree it would be neat. I'll keep raising it when I get chance.

I've finally got my settlement defence plans out of the way (even if I'd prefer a better way of getting them) and already had everything I needed for Beck so all that's left is to annoy Sirius Corp a bit and annoying people is something I'm very good at - and once Laszlo is out of the way, that's my "must-have" engineering out of the way - maxed out sidearm, stealth and loud dominators with weapons to match, a maverick and an artemis.

Now I'm all geared up, aside from putting together memebuilds at my leisure, it's time to actually get on with playing properly. Just as it is with ships, I don't consider getting the suits to be the game, I consider doing things with them to be the game.

o7 Commanderinos,

I don't know about you, but I need a bit of a distraction from this monstrosity of heat in the UK right now, so let's talk some Elite!

What are your plans in-game for the week? What are you enjoying at the moment? What's not so great?

Got any feedback or suggestions for me? Any FA-OFF advice? Stream ideas?

I'm particularly interested in knowing the ship you recommend learning FA-OFF in, something cheap please!

I'm all ears for the next couple of hours!
I have two main plans in-game at the moment. One is to experiment with rolling (on foot) some different kinds of objects (including Guardian Orbs and Keys) around settlements (and maybe even shoving them in through doors) to see what's possible and whether they provide scope for an "It's a knockout" style event. The other is to survey Pleione 3A in Odyssey with a view to repeating my original planetary circumnavigation so I can compare the experience.

For FA-Off, although I'm no "Newtons Gambit" expert, I do have two suggestions. One is to try a big slow ship like the Type 9 and just fly it FA Off around the outside of a space installation. The slower movement (roll rates, etc) will get you used to how FA Off behaves without all that unpleasant, totally out of control tumbling that puts many people off FA Off flight. The other is to take a heavily shielded sidewinder outside a Coriolis station and practice flying it through the inner access ways that mark the outer sides and corners of the station (this is know as "trench running" in the FA Off community). Here's a couple of illustrations of what I mean.

Source: https://youtu.be/xrnMWybsBgU

Source: https://youtu.be/Ikgd6OCCYgk

Don't try to do it fast ... quite the opposite, try to do it as smoothly and gently as possible. Focus on those tiny movements which exemplify perfect FA Off control.

Zac Cocken

Junior Product Manager
Frontier
I've finally got my settlement defence plans out of the way (even if I'd prefer a better way of getting them) and already had everything I needed for Beck so all that's left is to annoy Sirius Corp a bit and annoying people is something I'm very good at - and once Laszlo is out of the way, that's my "must-have" engineering out of the way - maxed out sidearm, stealth and loud dominators with weapons to match, a maverick and an artemis.

Now I'm all geared up, aside from putting together memebuilds at my leisure, it's time to actually get on with playing properly. Just as it is with ships, I don't consider getting the suits to be the game, I consider doing things with them to be the game.

Good work! What are you going to be doing first once you've finished engineering?

LOL - Even my FA On manual landings are not smooth yet, but getting there.
There is actually a problem in Odyssey with FA off landings that weren't there before. The station sometime judders violently underneath you as you try to land. micro judders laterally as you approach your final landing phase. It only happens in Odyssey and not Horizons.

Zac Cocken

Junior Product Manager
Frontier
I have two main plans in-game at the moment. One is to experiment with rolling (on foot) some different kinds of objects (including Guardian Orbs and Keys) around settlements (and maybe even shoving them in through doors) to see what's possible and whether they provide scope for an "It's a knockout" style event. The other is to survey Pleione 3A in Odyssey with a view to repeating my original planetary circumnavigation so I can compare the experience.

You have to let me know how the object rolling goes, that would make an awesome Elite Sports event, or Buckyball event!

I absolutely love flying FA off!

I am no expert but i get so much joy from it.

@Zac Cocken and anyone else if they care:
In the second video of that FA off series, mentioned near the first post, that's me CMDR Hobbes (Moxen Wolf) is talking about at the end of the video. It is such a blast!

I can see why FA off in combat is beneficial, but why would you use it for landing once you are lined up with the pad?
I've seen posts from and talked to people who fly FA off exclusively.

I tend to use FA Off more and more when dropping into a station, cutting a line across the mail slot to line up and then going FA on the rest of the way. Works quite well in a T9 when efficiency is paramount while running cargo back and forth. Though, if my ship has the Auto Docking comp, I either wait until after my FA Off maneuver to request clearance or turn off Auto Docking in the right panel, SHIP tab. Otherwise, when I enable FA Off after requesting clearance, the Auto Docking comp tries to take over and messes it all up.

@Zac Cocken will multiplayer/multicrew, instancing, and overall network stability be improved by the time work starts on consoles? Will port forwarding just be a mandatory step if someone wants to use multicrew without jumping into disconnects?

Top Bottom