It's impressive when you think....

I'm seriously starting to get impressed by ED all over again, and it's not just the power play decals ;)

I know we moan, a lot, but look at it like this, things we've had in the last year alone:
Planetary landings and the SRV. Engineers and ship customisation. Ship launched fighters and npc crew. Stuff on planets from barnacles to brain trees. New station interiors. The new voice chatter. New ships. The formidine rift and ancient ruins. Sexy new Neutron stars. Improved station UI. Module storage. Ship transfer. Power play decals ;) constantly improving graphics. Passenger missions. All the qol updates. The CQC assets in game. Thargoids !! almost. Module reinforcement and military slots. Commander creator. New fancy camera. Multi crew. Gigantic ships. Ship kits. Star type route filters. All the enhancements to power play and the background sim. UA's and UP's and crashed ship sites. Colonia. Etc etc etc..

It's.... a lot. Are there still things needing fixed? Yes, do we still want more? Yes. But I think now and again it's worth stepping back and just appreciating all the work the fdev guys have done. We focus on lots of minor things, and yes those matter too, but seriously, for the cost of entry (£40 at most) is there any game out there that can even come close?

The reason for this is that a friend whom I bought the game for over a year ago, logged back in for the first time the other night and installed horizons. She was blown away by all the new features, things we've come to take for granted. She was like "finally I can see why you raved about this so much".

So, despite my moaning now and again, thanks fdev, keep it up. Now take my money and gimme those custom suits already :)

I'm seriously starting to get impressed by ED all over again, and it's not just the power play decals ;)

I know we moan, a lot, but look at it like this, things we've had in the last year alone:
Planetary landings and the SRV. Engineers and ship customisation. Ship launched fighters and npc crew. Stuff on planets from barnacles to brain trees. New station interiors. The new voice chatter. New ships. The formidine rift and ancient ruins. Sexy new Neutron stars. Improved station UI. Module storage. Ship transfer. Power play decals ;) constantly improving graphics. Passenger missions. All the qol updates. The CQC assets in game. Thargoids !! almost. Module reinforcement and military slots. Commander creator. New fancy camera. Multi crew. Gigantic ships. Ship kits. Star type route filters. All the enhancements to power play and the background sim. UA's and UP's and crashed ship sites. Colonia. Etc etc etc..

It's.... a lot. Are there still things needing fixed? Yes, do we still want more? Yes. But I think now and again it's worth stepping back and just appreciating all the work the fdev guys have done. We focus on lots of minor things, and yes those matter too, but seriously, for the cost of entry (£40 at most) is there any game out there that can even come close?

The reason for this is that a friend whom I bought the game for over a year ago, logged back in for the first time the other night and installed horizons. She was blown away by all the new features, things we've come to take for granted. She was like "finally I can see why you raved about this so much".

So, despite my moaning now and again, thanks fdev, keep it up. Now take my money and gimme those custom suits already :)

^ Yep, this guy gets it. :)

The moaners moan because they ignore all the good stuff and focus only on the bad.

Hear hear. I had a very similar thought myself while watching the 2nd half of Tuesday's livestream this morning. It's easy to focus on the complaints but you know what? Season 2 has been absolutely stunning!

Well done Frontier, keep up the good work.

And as a final note I'll just repeat a phrase used by Ed on the livestream ... "as long as you guys keep supporting us we'll keep on developing the game".

I'm off to buy another paintjob.

^ Yep, this guy gets it. :)

The moaners moan because they ignore all the good stuff and focus only on the bad.
The best moaners always state how many hours they've "wasted" on ED.
It's usually in the thousands.
Lol

With the exception of work, nothing could get me to do something I hated for 1000s of hours. Especially of my own free will. When I have other choices. Lol

It's amazing value - and most exciting is how it's still all growing but building on the existing world, not simply expanding with a new mission or so. As I have said several times on this forum, I'm new to this game but just stunned with how much there is. There's nothing cooler than being in an open world and knowing there's so much still to discover, so much to learn and so much to do. At the end of games like Skyrim and Fallout - however much I really, really love them - I always feel like I am falling in a pit when the stories end and you have done the smaller missions, but this is so much more open ended.

If you come to it new I can't see how you can fail to be impressed - but being close to it as many of us are, I think we lose sight of what's being done and what is in the process of being attempted. It's a long wait but I think that ED will be seen as being groundbreaking as Elite was. That might start to hit home when the game has space-legs and the ability to land on all those planets. No, it's not and never will be perfect but imo there will be nothing like this game for a long while....

Disclosure: Old-time BBC B+ Elite player, bought a PC just to play this game.

Last edited:

Totally agree! Smashing game, smashing job FD.

I know we moan, a lot, but look at it like this, things we've had in the last year alone:(snip)
Yup, the progress in the game over the last two years has been exceptional with no end in sight. We do have a largely negative section of players who only focus on what isn't there and what the game doesn't do, however.

As the game grows, people are buying it to be part of the action, but they are buying it because it is popular. They don't have the right mind-set for Elite. They're expecting a typical FPS with spaceships and are ticked off when they realize there is no story mode and they have to motivate themselves to accomplish anything. That's obviously not their fault for not doing enough research (sarcasm), so they trash the game.

I suspect that even if all promised features were active today, those same people would still be belly-aching. It's just who they are.

To your point though; The devs have done a remarkable job in buffing up a helluva game.

No game comes close to it. Moving to VR, I now land my ship more carefully. There's no reason, it just feel right to do so. You can't get that easily. However..... there are a LOT of faults with basic gameplay. I hope that they are fixed / improved before the game gets boring and move on. I'd hate that in 3 years ED seems 'finished', and a brilliant, sublime space game with atmo landings, fighting in gas giants, cities to navigate, walking around, FPS, etc etc, and I don't want to play it anymore because we got there too slowly. Sometimes I think about trying to put the game away for a year or two so that I can play it fully afresh down the line somewhere.

Last edited:
FD are an amazing team, they don't always get it right, however when they do it absolutely outstanding.

The Commander creator looks really awesome! and honest feedback regarding the long hair issues +1 focus on the main issues, it's better to get the core features right
and they certainly seem to have done that.

Good work FD, you really deserve all the fame, this game is a humongous task to take on.

I agree. +Rep to the OP.

I have been playing Elite: Dangerous for over 2500 hours and I'm not even close to being bored with the game, there is so much still left I want to do.

Frontier have done an impressive job with the game and all the updates.

Top Bottom