It's now time to throw P2P out the game.

Dunno what muppet you guys employed to write your netcode, but fixed weapons are just about unplayable at this point, the target reticule making 3-6 inch hops accross the screen, matching no vector whatsoever.

GET DEDICATED SERVERS OR HIRE SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT NETCODING IS.

Seriously, it's getting ridiculous now.

50% of the time you can't even instance with folks and when you do, they sometimes randomly dissapear, sometimes, they don't leave wakes and sometimes they are impossible to target because of the P2P architecture.

This realy needs fixing. If anything I'd say it should be the number one priority.

Lestat

Banned
Dunno what muppet you guys employed to write your netcode, but fixed weapons are just about unplayable at this point, the target reticule making 3-6 inch hops accross the screen, matching no vector whatsoever.

GET DEDICATED SERVERS OR HIRE SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT NETCODING IS.

Seriously, it's getting ridiculous now.

50% of the time you can't even instance with folks and when you do, they sometimes randomly dissapear, sometimes, they don't leave wakes and sometimes they are impossible to target because of the P2P architecture.

This realy needs fixing. If anything I'd say it should be the number one priority.
Maybe the problem could be at your end and you should file a bug report. Many factors could be causing your gaming not being so good.

Here an issue I had on my Last Laptop. Audio while in combat or landing would be crackly. I also had 20 fps up to 50 fps in game. I upgraded to my current build. Went into Arena play. Went up against 3 4 other players and deathmatch and everything was clear. 90 to 115fps

Last edited:
Maybe the problem could be at your end and you should file a bug report. Many factors could be causing your gaming not being so good.

I have'nt got the fastest internet, but I don't get the same lag issues in any other game whatsoever man. :/ I'm not the only one whose having these issues either, plenty of the PS4 community are having the same problem. It's like 1/4 fights.

Lestat

Banned
I have'nt got the fastest internet, but I don't get the same lag issues in any other game whatsoever man. :/ I'm not the only one whose having these issues either, plenty of the PS4 community are having the same problem. It's like 1/4 fights.

Then the best idea is report this as a bug. Bug Reporting

I really hope they fix it for you.

Last edited:
Try putting your PS4 in the DMZ of your router - just as a test to see if it improves things for you. If it does - take it back out the DMZ and work on fixing the portage problem.

If still no improvement, other things to try. What router and firmware version are you on? cable / xDSL / fiber? Are you actually using wired ethernet or are you hoping the random wifi gods smile upon you? Has your ISP junked all your traffic? Have they routed you out to the back of oblivion?

Try putting your PS4 in the DMZ of your router - just as a test to see if it improves things for you. If it does - take it back out the DMZ and work on fixing the portage problem.

If still no improvement, other things to try. What router and firmware version are you on? cable / xDSL / fiber? Are you actually using wired ethernet or are you hoping the random wifi gods smile upon you? Has your ISP junked all your traffic? Have they routed you out to the back of oblivion?

Cheers fella, i'll run through these in the morrow. Another potential hour on the phone to the ISP.. Joy...

Here an issue I had on my Last Laptop. Audio while in combat or landing would be crackly. I also had 20 fps up to 50 fps in game. I upgraded to my current build. Went into Arena play. Went up against 3 4 other players and deathmatch and everything was clear. 90 to 115fps

PLEASE learn the difference between network lag and rendering lag. They are NOT the same thing, and it makes you look like a goober.

• Network lag is communication delay. Rubberbanding, things jumping around when the remote system takes too long to update the vectors of things locally. Local build is meaningless, you can have the best comp in the world and still have network lag- that's the internet, not you.
  • FPS lag is YOUR CPU OR VIDEO CARD struggling to draw frames, so the frames per second drops. Less detail helps, as does better gear. MAY influence network lag, if your computer is bogged down enough, but it takes an extraordinary amount.

Never have these issues on PC. Unless your setup is perfect (forwarded all relevant ports, reliable cable connection, vid to prove it's connection not graphics), I'd talk to support to address your issues before assuming everything is FDev's fault.

HIRE SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT NETCODING IS.

"Netcode" is gamer's jargon and has no real meaning in game design. What your asking for is someone is who no idea what they're doing.

PLEASE learn the difference between network lag and rendering lag. They are NOT the same thing, and it makes you look like a goober.

• Network lag is communication delay. Rubberbanding, things jumping around when the remote system takes too long to update the vectors of things locally. Local build is meaningless, you can have the best comp in the world and still have network lag- that's the internet, not you.
  • FPS lag is YOUR CPU OR VIDEO CARD struggling to draw frames, so the frames per second drops. Less detail helps, as does better gear. MAY influence network lag, if your computer is bogged down enough, but it takes an extraordinary amount.

This seems in all honesty the most realistic response, thank you Teh Smoo.

That aligns perfectly to what I and others have been experiencing.

Rubberbanding and target reticule pinging about like mad is the issue we've been getting.

The most irritating thing regarding this is the fact that it's often stable for the first five or so minutes of the fight, then it gets progressively worse as the fight goes on, to such a degree I have had to tell folks, "I'm sorry, I can't continue because I can't even line up the reticule" Almost feels like there is a timer on FDev's end that once up, cuts the bandwith of the link down severly.

Lestat

Banned
It seems you never consider other things that could be an issue.
Network lag is communication delay. Rubberbanding, things jumping around when the remote system takes too long to update the vectors of things locally. Local build is meaningless, you can have the best comp in the world and still have network lag- that's the internet, not you.
Well I had to deal with a client who owns an Autobody shop with the same problem. Guess what. It was not due to the network issue It acted just like a network lag. But it is what he downloaded that cause it. You know the unregulated Adult sites he downloaded about 1,000 graphic pictures. So when he playing a game pvp he had the same issues. It was a Virus. I also know some hardware can cause some of the same issue. Like faulty Wireless card or Eithernet port. But what do I know. It still funny hearing him say Please don't tell my Wife.

FPS lag is YOUR CPU OR VIDEO CARD struggling to draw frames, so the frames per second drops. Less detail helps, as does better gear. MAY influence network lag, if your computer is bogged down enough, but it takes an extraordinary amount.
[/LIST]
You also forgot Storage and low amount
of Ram could also have a factor in FPS lag and could be a bottleneck in games. But what do I know.

Rubberbanding and target reticule pinging about like mad is the issue we've been getting.

The most irritating thing regarding this is the fact that it's often stable for the first five or so minutes of the fight, then it gets progressively worse as the fight goes on, to such a degree I have had to tell folks, "I'm sorry, I can't continue because I can't even line up the reticule" Almost feels like there is a timer on FDev's end that once up, cuts the bandwith of the link down severly.
Have you look on PS4 support? PS4 very laggy and glitchy with good internet connection

Last edited:

it is actually a quite misleading response, see below:

it totally dismisses how efficient the game is at handling that communication, which is a determinant factor too, which you colloquially but correctly termed 'netcode', which in elite is crap, since it doesn't provide a good experience across the standard spectrum of connection requirements. if you meet those requirements (and if you get good experience in other similar games you do) it's 100% the developer's fault.

now, you might be and edge case, you might have hit a particular bug, there may be options or workarounds for you to fiddle with to improve the matter ... all this doesn't change the fact and doesn't make your post less valid, nor does it make smoo's response less misleading and false (and deriding btw). go try that stuff, good luck and hope it helps, but don't trust shills.

(ps: don't expect frontier to fix this anytime soon.)

Well as I don't suffer the issues on any other games, it's pretty safe to say it's developer end issues, not my console, or indeed sony's servers.

And I will try the various methods outlined, but in all honesy this has been a problem now for a while, and has generally only manifested itself after major updates, most notably, since 3.0 and the following updates.

And the issue with it being stable more often than not, for the first five or so minutes, then going to pot, also kind of points to the developer end, like the bandwith gets cut or something.

I have just been told by a friend that cacheing the console might indeed have an effect as he has had similar issues with the pro, so that is also a potential one, but i'm inclined to think it will probably persist simply due to the nature of it happening post updates.

I had a thread with a suggestion that goes into this direction here. But it got locked.

Also, C/S vs P2P is a topic that a lot of people have an opinion on. Unfortunately, the number of people with opinions exceeds the number of people with relevant experience.

I could be that packets are getting backed up after a while because the computer might not be fast enough to process them. Networking is a pain in the preverbial but for example now we have two versions of PS4 ( standard and Pro) one technically can work faster than the other so when the main instance is a Pro it could be chucking out more info than the standard can handle causing lagging.

I could be that packets are getting backed up after a while because the computer might not be fast enough to process them. Networking is a pain in the preverbial but for example now we have two versions of PS4 ( standard and Pro) one technically can work faster than the other so when the main instance is a Pro it could be chucking out more info than the standard can handle causing lagging.

Yeah that would makes sense, only I'm running a pro..

Never have these issues on PC. Unless your setup is perfect (forwarded all relevant ports, reliable cable connection, vid to prove it's connection not graphics), I'd talk to support to address your issues before assuming everything is FDev's fault.

"Netcode" is gamer's jargon and has no real meaning in game design. What your asking for is someone is who no idea what they're doing.

Really? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4m2nwn5wT8

Yeah that would makes sense, only I'm running a pro..

in that case it could a standard running the instance which can't send enough information to the pro causing skipped packets and lag that way as the game is waiting for the information which isn't coming fast enough.

Factor in Internet issues with that as well and it's not a pretty sight

"Netcode" is programmer jargon as we couldnt get round to saying "Networking system" all the time.

Top Bottom