Newcomer / Intro I've only ever managed to land on two base stations and all the others I've had to abandon the mission the case I just can't figure it out so is there

I've only ever managed to land on two base stations and all the others I've had to abandon the mission the case I just can't figure it out so is there a way of telling from the mission information whether you need to land on a base station then I can just not take it

Its not clear what you are talking about.

There are two types of stations on planets. Those you can dock at and those you can't.

Generally missions to planetary bases are of the non-dockable type. You have to land outside their exclusion zones and then drive in to do the mission.

Screenshot (F10) a couple of missions and upload the images to imgur or something, so we know exactly what you are talking about, and I'll tell you what needs to be done to complete them.

Generally missions to planetary bases are of the non-dockable type.

Except for transport or courier type missions.

You have to land outside their exclusion zones and then drive in to do the mission.

Or just do anything required (destroy generators, scan terminals/data points, etc) from the ship.

is there a way of telling from the mission information whether you need to land on a base station then I can just not take it

If you mean landing at a surface port (for trade/pax runs/courier missions) then yes, it is in the mission description. Your destination will say 'Port' if the destination is a surface port. It will 'Starport' if it is an orbital port.

If you're trying to land near a planetary base then you have to wander about to find a suitable landing area. If the ship doesn't like the ground underneath then you get an unsuitable terrain message.
If you're talking about not being able to approach the planet make sure you're logged in to the Horizons version.

Ah thanks 😁 I've been making the mistake of trying to dock at the base and then they shoot me up so that explains that although I've never used a buggy before so that will be a new experience

Its not clear what you are talking about.

There are two types of stations on planets. Those you can dock at and those you can't.

Generally missions to planetary bases are of the non-dockable type. You have to land outside their exclusion zones and then drive in to do the mission.

Last edited:
Port and starport got it!!

If you mean landing at a surface port (for trade/pax runs/courier missions) then yes, it is in the mission description. Your destination will say 'Port' if the destination is a surface port. It will 'Starport' if it is an orbital port.

Ah thanks 😁 I've been making the mistake of trying to dock at the base and then they shoot me up so that explains that although I've never used a buggy before so that will be a new experience

As you haven’t used the buggy then I suggest doing the SRV tutorial/training first not just for the practice but also to setup the controls so that you are comfortable with them, several are possibly not bound yet and what works for flying the ship isn’t always the most comfortable way to drive the SRV.

Top Bottom