I've (Roughly) Calculated the Velocities of the Kinematic Armaments Weapons...

Since we aren't given the bullet velocities on any projectile FPS weapon in Odyssey and I'm really curious as to what they are because they feel rather slow, I had to do it the old fashioned way: calculate it using frame-by-frame analysis. This post is rather lengthy, so there's a TLDR at the bottom of this post should you desire one.

My methodology was as follows:
  1. Deploy an SRV
  2. Determine how far out the shield bubble extends from the sides of the SRV (it sits ~4m from the center of the vehicle)
  3. Move to 100m away from the edge of the shield bubble
  4. Fire weapons at the shield bubble
  5. Determine how many frames it took for the bullet to impact the shield, starting from when the bullet is fired
  6. Calculate the flight time and velocity from that information
This wasn't an exact process, so the values I will post below should be taken more as approximations than hard truths (@FDEV - are they close at least?). Before you look at them, I'd like you to keep these approximate values in mind as you read the table:
  • A 9x19mm Parabellum cartridge (a pistol caliber cartridge) can achieve muzzle velocities of ~360 - 380 m/s (1,180 - 1,250 ft/s)
  • A 5.56x45mm NATO rifle cartridge (the one AR-15s use) can achieve muzzle velocities of ~851 - 993 m/s (2,790 - 3,260 ft/s)
  • A 7.62x39mm rifle cartridge (the one AK-47s use) can achieve muzzle velocities of ~641 - 738 m/s (2,104 - 2,421 ft/s)
  • An AT-4 Anti-tank weapon has a muzzle velocity of 290 m/s (950 ft/s)
  • The fastest pitch in Baseball history (according to Wikipedia) was 105.1 miles per hour (46.9 m/s), thrown by Aroldis Chapman.
WeaponDistance (m)FramesFPS*Time to Impact (s)Velocity (m/s)Velocity (ft/s)
AR-5010033600.569182597
C-44 10034600.586176579
P-1510033600.569182597
Rocket Launcher100122602.1049.2161
*FPS shown in the video below is around 58 on average; however, my recording software records at 60 FPS and that's what my editing software shows the video framerate as. This will probably introduce some error in the final results.

As always, I highly encourage you to double-check my math here. I feel like they should be higher...

Here's the video of my unscientific tests:

Source: https://youtu.be/5BdRYbDFKRI

It looks like you can easily repeat my test by using the "," and "." keys to move through the video frame-by-frame. Start your count when the projectile is first visible and remember to note what framerate you have the YouTube video set to when you calculate the time.

-----
My Thoughts on the Data

It would seem as though the bullet velocities for all of these weapons are much less than their real-world approximations - answering my question as to why I have to lead my target so much even in close range engagements using the AR-50. I'm also surprised that the P-15 sidearm has the exact same velocity as the AR-50; this leads me to believe that our "rifle" is actually a pistol carbine. Meanwhile, the rocket launcher's muzzle velocity is only slightly faster than the fastest pitch in Baseball to date. Suddenly that random baseball fact I included above doesn't seem so random.

Based on the velocities above (and assuming they are somewhat correct), this is what I suggest to make them feel more realistic and allow them to hit moving targets better:
  1. Increase AR-50 muzzle velocity by about 4-5x (728 m/s to 910 m/s)
  2. Increase C-44 velocity by around 3x (528 m/s)
  3. Increase P-15 velocity by around 1.5-2x (273 - 364 m/s)
  4. Increase the Rocket Launcher's velocity by 3-4x (148 - 197 m/s) - rockets aren't baseballs!
I'd also suggest changes to the plasma weapons in light of the above list, but alas, we can't test them in the Alpha. Based on the low projectile velocities I see from NPCs firing them, the plasma rifle's muzzle velocity could use a buff if the above suggestions are implemented - probably to where the AR-50 is now. The Executioner sniper rifle and the plasma shotgun would likely need separate tuning.

One final suggestion above all the others here:

Give us the stats on our Odyssey gear. ALL the stats!

We have a ton of stat info on our ship equipment - why don't we have them for our Odyssey gear?

-----

TLDR:
  1. Buff Kinematic Armaments' bullet / rocket velocities
  2. Adjust plasma velocities accordingly
  3. Odyssey equipment stats plz :)

It may be a matter of balancing playability / balance with real life statistics.

For rough comparison, muzzle velocities in CoD, pistols have 200-300, SMGs 200-300, and ARs 400-600. I've spent more time than necessary / reasonable fiddling about with guns in CoD and muzzle velocity is probably the biggest factor when it comes to unbalanced meta loadouts - alongside RPM.

AR50 max range is already pretty low at 225m (give or take, i "tested" it by shooting at my ship landed until the first bullet registered a hit on the shields)

The plasma weapons did have a fairly low velocity compared to their kin counterparts. The Executioner's slow speed limits its use to low-to-mid range engagements. The rocket launcher definitely needs a speed boost. Since it's a rocket, it's velocity should actually increase from the moment it's fired.

Since we aren't given the bullet velocities on any projectile FPS weapon in Odyssey and I'm really curious as to what they are because they feel rather slow, I had to do it the old fashioned way: calculate it using frame-by-frame analysis. This post is rather lengthy, so there's a TLDR at the bottom of this post should you desire one.

My methodology was as follows:
  1. Deploy an SRV
  2. Determine how far out the shield bubble extends from the sides of the SRV (it sits ~4m from the center of the vehicle)
  3. Move to 100m away from the edge of the shield bubble
  4. Fire weapons at the shield bubble
  5. Determine how many frames it took for the bullet to impact the shield, starting from when the bullet is fired
  6. Calculate the flight time and velocity from that information
This wasn't an exact process, so the values I will post below should be taken more as approximations than hard truths (@FDEV - are they close at least?). Before you look at them, I'd like you to keep these approximate values in mind as you read the table:
  • A 9x19mm Parabellum cartridge (a pistol caliber cartridge) can achieve muzzle velocities of ~360 - 380 m/s (1,180 - 1,250 ft/s)
  • A 5.56x45mm NATO rifle cartridge (the one AR-15s use) can achieve muzzle velocities of ~851 - 993 m/s (2,790 - 3,260 ft/s)
  • A 7.62x39mm rifle cartridge (the one AK-47s use) can achieve muzzle velocities of ~641 - 738 m/s (2,104 - 2,421 ft/s)
  • An AT-4 Anti-tank weapon has a muzzle velocity of 290 m/s (950 ft/s)
  • The fastest pitch in Baseball history (according to Wikipedia) was 105.1 miles per hour (46.9 m/s), thrown by Aroldis Chapman.
WeaponDistance (m)FramesFPS*Time to Impact (s)Velocity (m/s)Velocity (ft/s)
AR-5010033600.569182597
C-4410034600.586176579
P-1510033600.569182597
Rocket Launcher100122602.1049.2161
*FPS shown in the video below is around 58 on average; however, my recording software records at 60 FPS and that's what my editing software shows the video framerate as. This will probably introduce some error in the final results.

As always, I highly encourage you to double-check my math here. I feel like they should be higher...

Here's the video of my unscientific tests:

Source: https://youtu.be/5BdRYbDFKRI

It looks like you can easily repeat my test by using the "," and "." keys to move through the video frame-by-frame. Start your count when the projectile is first visible and remember to note what framerate you have the YouTube video set to when you calculate the time.

-----
My Thoughts on the Data

It would seem as though the bullet velocities for all of these weapons are much less than their real-world approximations - answering my question as to why I have to lead my target so much even in close range engagements using the AR-50. I'm also surprised that the P-15 sidearm has the exact same velocity as the AR-50; this leads me to believe that our "rifle" is actually a pistol carbine. Meanwhile, the rocket launcher's muzzle velocity is only slightly faster than the fastest pitch in Baseball to date. Suddenly that random baseball fact I included above doesn't seem so random.

Based on the velocities above (and assuming they are somewhat correct), this is what I suggest to make them feel more realistic and allow them to hit moving targets better:
  1. Increase AR-50 muzzle velocity by about 4-5x (728 m/s to 910 m/s)
  2. Increase C-44 velocity by around 3x (528 m/s)
  3. Increase P-15 velocity by around 1.5-2x (273 - 364 m/s)
  4. Increase the Rocket Launcher's velocity by 3-4x (148 - 197 m/s) - rockets aren't baseballs!
I'd also suggest changes to the plasma weapons in light of the above list, but alas, we can't test them in the Alpha. Based on the low projectile velocities I see from NPCs firing them, the plasma rifle's muzzle velocity could use a buff if the above suggestions are implemented - probably to where the AR-50 is now. The Executioner sniper rifle and the plasma shotgun would likely need separate tuning.

One final suggestion above all the others here:

Give us the stats on our Odyssey gear. ALL the stats!

We have a ton of stat info on our ship equipment - why don't we have them for our Odyssey gear?

-----

TLDR:
  1. Buff Kinematic Armaments' bullet / rocket velocities
  2. Adjust plasma velocities accordingly
  3. Odyssey equipment stats plz :)
I feel like this has the unintended consequence of making it harder to dodge the bullets. Not a judgement on whether this is good or bad, but this will be a straight buff for NPCs as they're not dodging, would be interesting to try anyway.

Since it's a rocket, it's velocity should actually increase from the moment it's fired.
From my testing I believe it does accelerate, but the time and distance to do it is too far, so most people using it like they're playing Quake aren't seeing the full speed. Also, it may have an arming time, because I noticed the explosion gets bigger after a certain distance.

Great work on this! These bullet speeds do seem very slow. Not just because of the real weapon comparison numbers, but also because those real life numbers are on Earth's atmosphere. Odyssey's atmospheres are thin - so those 3307 weapons are firing at much lower air resistances.

Since we can't tweak the stats, why bother with these numbers ?
It's not something i like but FDev seems to want to keep a very tight control over the power of the weapons.
It wouldn't surprise me if some of the ModSlot™️ items affect the currently hidden stats in some way (such as muzzle velocity, reload speed, ADS speed, etc.)

That and I'm just overly curious by nature 🙃

It may be a matter of balancing playability / balance with real life statistics.

For rough comparison, muzzle velocities in CoD, pistols have 200-300, SMGs 200-300, and ARs 400-600. I've spent more time than necessary / reasonable fiddling about with guns in CoD and muzzle velocity is probably the biggest factor when it comes to unbalanced meta loadouts - alongside RPM.
The last CoD game I played was the first Black Ops, where the bullets were hitscan. Interesting to see that the franchise went a different direction with later titles, and that we have another game to compare with - thanks for the info!

Do these figures change depending on either gravity or atmosphere?
As far as I was able to tell - no. The only reason why I miscalculated the AR-50's velocity a week ago was I didn't realize that my recording software records 60 FPS regardless of the in-game framerate, which resulted in an extra factor of ~2 to my results.

The plasma weapons did have a fairly low velocity compared to their kin counterparts. The Executioner's slow speed limits its use to low-to-mid range engagements.
That's one of the many reasons why I asked for the plasma weapons to be available for testing - so we can really get a good look at how they operate, compare them to the other options, and discuss potential changes to them.

The rocket launcher definitely needs a speed boost. Since it's a rocket, it's velocity should actually increase from the moment it's fired.
It (and its ship-launched counterparts) really should.

From my testing I believe it does accelerate, but the time and distance to do it is too far, so most people using it like they're playing Quake aren't seeing the full speed. Also, it may have an arming time, because I noticed the explosion gets bigger after a certain distance.
Interesting... if that is the case, then the speed I calculated above is an average velocity, leading to the conclusion that the rocket may be slower than a baseball.

Top Bottom