Jackie's Map

I've been working on a map program that shows various features in the galaxy.
Now updated to version 3s3. (18f 7f 2017)

(Zip archive contains a built Win 64 .exe and .csv data files. I'm looking at using GitHub properly for the source so hope to link to that soon.)

Included with the initial release:

1) The extent of around 200 hand-placed sectors, the features associated with those sectors (nebulae, star clusters &c.) and whether the sectors are permit-locked.
2) A few dozen points of interest across the galaxy - alien sites, Dynasty beacons and so on.
3) The 600 or so tourist destinations.

r721kje.png

The map can be panned around by clicking on it or by entering coordinates in the boxes at the top.

(N.b. - I use coordinates as (x, y, z) where x is "west-east", y is "south-north" and z is "up-down", just to be ornery.
Elite uses (x, y, z) where x is "west-east", y is (up-down) and z is (south-north), which is clearly Wrong.
I'm sure you can handle it.)

You can zoom by changing the scaling factor (at scaling 1, 1 ly is drawn as 1 pixel, at scaling 2, 1 ly is 2 pixels and so on) or by using the mouse wheel.
Move up and down above and below the plane using the Z+ and Z- buttons or enter a z coordinate in the box.

If a sector is not present on a particular z level, it is drawn with a little cross and an arrow pointing up if it is higher or down if it is lower.

The indicators draw star clusters with a little star, nebulae with an orange circle, planetary nebulae with a blue circle, dark nebulae with a dark circle.

If you want to see the extent of permit locks, toggle the fills on and off:

WI48JTY.png

Points of interest are marked in dark blue (landmark systems), purple (powerplay), light blue (unusual structures) and pink (alien).
Tourist destinations are marked in green, with the identification number of the destination.
(Some of these are still WIP, so if the number isn't known it's marked with a "?")

There's also a toggle to show the extent of the UA shell around Merope.

yOwLdZq.png

The display shows the current coordinates of the cursor (see n.b. above!) and if you mouseover a POI, tourist destination or sector it should display its name. If you mouseover somewhere like Sol you'll get a lot of results of course.

Anyhoo: click a few buttons, it's pretty obvious what's what.
Many thanks are due to edsm, the DISC gang, and the maintainers of the Tourist Beacon list.

I hope you find this a useful toy!

Now updated (13/02/17) to version 3q, with changes and new features as follows:

# 3i changes:
# Added scaling buttons, sector name check with Alot's edts, display of galmap style coordinates.
# Added display of body and latitude + longitude for POI.

# 3j changes:
# Added permit-locked HA stars to POI list and appropriate display. Added distance display. Added rare goods. Minor tweaks.
# Added some known UP locations. Corrected error with NGC 752 / IC 1848.

# 3k changes:
# Added pulsars. Updated tourist file. Changed mouseover to take account of scaling and only return objects which are drawn.
# Moved display of rare goods distance and tonnage into mouseover. Removed redundant indicator text and associated button.

# 3l changes:
# Added player factions. Updated tourist file, POI file.

# 3m changes:
# General tidying up, some UI changes. Updated data. Added toggle for Reorte-Riedquat line. Finished first pass of checking player factions.
# Changed player factions sheet to include a validity option, so details for some are loaded but not used.
# Reworked to show central nebulae and stars of ha sectors; the list of central stars is incomplete, and needs work.

# 3n changes:
# Moved RR line and UA sphere into a single Misc category. Added rough indicator of the Bubble's size into the same category.
# Added PRE logistics and Colonia stations to POIs. Added possible boundary lines for Guardian sites towards Regor. Added EAFOTS box to misc.
# Added distance indicators for tourist destinations. Improved drawing of sector fills.

# 3o changes: (released version)
# Adding non-sector HA star clusters gleaned from edsm (as the galmap search is a little strange);
# Changed handling of sectors from original list which don't exist as sectors. Introduced category for sectors which are nominally clusters but aren't.
# Added option to display the full list of individual stars known to edsm. Very interesting to see.

# 3p changes:
# Added search and highlight/filter functions. Added suppression corridor boundaries to misc toggle. Enabled PG sector name finding in search.
# Enabled filtering by sector including PG sectors. Added output .csv of filtered stars. Draws PG sector boundaries if searched.
# ...and disabled suppression corridor boundaries again.

# 3q changes:
# Improved name matching on HA sector filtering. Cleaned up line drawing stuff a bit.

# 3r changes:
# Miscellaneous minor changes.
# Added known Asteroid Bases and Megaships.
# Updated with latest hand-authored star data from edsm.
# Added various new POI and Outback systems, and a few more alien ruins sites.

# 3r2b minor changes:
# Continued updating Megaships / Generation Ships / miscellanous POI.

# 3s changes:
# Included around 1000 new deep-space POI from edsm (thanks Anthor!) and reworked the POI display with an extra toggle to show Landmark POIs and green systems separately.
# Other minor updates to POI data.

# 3s3 changes:
# Added a load of new Thargoid sites. Added more megaships.
# Updated list of Guardians ruins and adopted Canonn's numbering system. (Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the big Canonn spreadsheets.)

Last edited:
Cool, and very useful. Many thanks!
It appears the Skull and Crossbones nebula is missing though? I can't seem to find anything at its coordinates.

Last edited:
Cool, and very useful. Many thanks!
It appears the Skull and Crossbones nebula is missing though? I can't seem to find anything at its coordinates.

*grins* Try 13400, -6800, 100 - Elite would display it as (13400, 100, -6800) - there's a division between people who treat z axis as vertical (e.g. me) and people who treat z axis as horizontal (e.g. Alot) - Elite uses the horizontal convention, and I should probably alter the display so that it works that way too. :( Vertical z axis is the convention in Dwarf Fortress - when I think moving up and down, I think "z levels" not "y levels" - but I suppose it will just be too confusing. :(

Oh, I see! I assumed that I wouldn't need to move z-levels to see it. My bad.
Also, I'd rep you again for Armok, but I can't yet.

Last edited:
NB the positions of IC 1848 and NGC 752 are buggy in the released version. I hope to have a new version uploaded some time this weekend with added rare goods locations, some extra UI information, individually locked permit stars, proc-gen sector names, more alien (UP) stuff and dynasty expedition base locations. Just tweaking at present. :)

Nice tool for explorers and those who stay in the bubble.

Now that EDDB captures player run minor factions, it would be nice to have a layer for the groups.

Slightly later than I planned, I've updated the map to version 3k.

# 3i changes:
# Added scaling buttons, sector name check with Alot's edts, display of galmap style coordinates.
# Added display of body and latitude + longitude for POI.

# 3j changes:
# Added permit-locked HA stars to POI list and appropriate display. Added distance display. Added rare goods. Minor tweaks.
# Added some known UP locations. Corrected error with NGC 752 / IC 1848.

# 3k changes:
# Added pulsars. Updated tourist file. Changed mouseover to take account of scaling and only return objects which are drawn.
# Moved display of rare goods distance and tonnage into mouseover. Removed redundant indicator text and associated button.

There are now toggle options to show all the rare goods and all the pulsars, and the interface has been improved a bit to show more detail. Mousing-over POI will bring up information like body and latitude/longitude, rare goods will show tonnage and distance and so on. You also get a "distance to Sol" counter and the proc-gen sector names.

Rare goods:
Goods where the station is within a sensible distance are in orange, while ones like the Hutton Mug are in grey.
I've used tonnages from the forum thread here and from various online places; they don't always agree, so that's a Work in Progress.

fSkChkq.png

Pulsars:
I've done my best to find them all. Notably, there are several clusters of pulsars with coordinates outside the normal range of the galmap; if you search through them, they appear for a split second and then vanish as the map gets confused. Ordinary pulsars are in light blue/grey, the funny ones are in red/grey. There's one pulsar inside the Col 70 permit locked zone, and it's permit locked as you'd expect.

JcKjeYu.png

A quick note about building - if you want to mess around with the python code or build it yourself, the current version relies on CMDR Alot's edts suite, which needs to be extracted into the program's working directory. I'm hoping to replace that dependency (just so you don't have to faff!) with a shorter one based on some of Sajime's code, but haven't done that yet.

Last edited:
Nice tool for explorers and those who stay in the bubble.

Now that EDDB captures player run minor factions, it would be nice to have a layer for the groups.

It would! I'm adding one now, it's quite challenging. The eddb and INARA lists of player factions don't tally exactly, and it's sometimes hard to be certain whether a group is or isn't player-run based purely on its name.

I'm fighting the temptation to add something which colours certain factions based on my opinion of them... :D

It would! I'm adding one now, it's quite challenging. The eddb and INARA lists of player factions don't tally exactly, and it's sometimes hard to be certain whether a group is or isn't player-run based purely on its name.

I'm fighting the temptation to add something which colours certain factions based on my opinion of them... :D
LOL - Not that it would be biased in any way whatsoever :p

Well to be fair Smart Screen is justified in being suspicious of strange executables in general. :)

I'll upload another build this weekend that's got the player factions in it (so far as I can pin them down), will try and shoehorn a revised version of Alot's pg sector name resolving code into the program so it doesn't rely on having the whole edts suite as a dependency :) - at the moment you can't build and run it yourself without first downloading and extracting edts into the folder - so people can run it through python and/or build it themselves.

Slightly confused at the moment by the tourist POI "The Great Annihilator" which isn't in the location I remember the great annihilator being in...

I should say - I had meant to upload a build this weekend, but RL caught up with me so I've not had as much time as I would have liked to sort it out.

I need to gather a lot of data from the galmap before I'll be happy with an update, so it'll be a while yet - at present I'm heading from Colonia towards Sgr A* and have a fairly long list of places to visit on the far side of the Core, in addition to a lot of map trawling to do.

Kudos to everyone who is gathering and completing the big list of tourist destinations.

A bit later than I had planned, but here it is, a new version, with two major new features:

1) Player factions.
and 2) A complete (more or less) set of all hand-authored stars from edsm!

Player factions, centered on our very own Stellar Cartographic Institute. - toggle with the "Plyr" checkbox.
GDusvW5.png

The complete set of all hand-authored stars known to edsm. - toggle with the "F!" checkbox. This can cause noticeable lag, as there's tens of thousands of them.
bZnCDt5.png

You can mouseover any of the stars to get more details. In general I've improved the mouseover behaviour to provide better information for lots of things.

I've consolidated a few things into the Misc toggle - shown here are the Reorte-Riedquat line and EAFOTS sector boundaries.
QIJZb6U.png

Caveat to all this data - I would guess the total number of visited hand-authored systems represents maybe half or a third of the real total number, and the data on player factions and rares is spotty in places.
Still, there's plenty to be going on with. :)

Last edited:
I've posted a new version, with search, filtering and .csv output functions plus updates to the data to take account of new ruins sites and so on.
(I'm struggling to keep track of all the new things being found!) :)

You can search on most things - for instance, searching "companions" will point at Xihe Biomorphic Companions, searching "Blo Thua" will take you to the proc-gen sector of that name, and so on.

Filtering lets you search for either systems whose name matches a filter - HIP, say - or systems in a particular sector, or both at the same time.

Example picture: all stars from the HD catalogue:
(note the relative absence of HD stars closer than 1000 ly from Sol - inside this radius, they tend to be identified with a HIP designation instead)

RAZCoYO.png

Example picture: all hand-authored stars (that are known to edsm) inside the OUTOTCH proc-gen sector:

t8mGaOz.png

Filtering can take up to about a minute to run, depending on the power of the computer you're running on - my poor antique laptop struggles. :)

Example picture: all hand-authored stars inside the COL 359 hand-authored sector:
(because this is a 2d representation of a 3d volume, some stars appear to overlap with other sectors, but the filtering is strict; only stars inside COL 359 are counted)

gNRQZel.png

Example output file of the same data.

I hope this is useful to people! It's quite enlightening filtering by e.g. "NGC" or "2Mass" or "vulpec" and so on, to follow where the catalogues and constellations are on the map.

Last edited:
Ach, yes, that would be Dropbox mucking about and removing the Public folder from older accounts like mine. All my links will be down now. X( Bear with me.

I think that should be working again now. Once 2.3 comes out of Beta I intend to release a new version with other bits and bobs added on like the new asteroid bases and new names for Colonia systems plus an update to the latest release of edsm data, but for now I've just transferred the old link to a new location.

Last edited:
Top Bottom