ANNOUNCEMENT January Update - Beta Announcement

sollisb

Banned
Hey Robin in Space,

The list of issues we've mentioned in the post above is not exhaustive of all of the fixes coming with the beta. Any additional fixes will be detailed in the beta Patch Notes coming next week.

So what's the actual point of giving us a subset/snippet overview?

Are you fixing the long standing ship alignment bug? Federal Police fighting each other? Federal Police firing on player for no reason bug? Loss of target reticule bug? Invisible ship bug? Unkillable ship bug? Inability to invite a person to multicrew bug?

Just to name a few... I have lots more.

The fact that some people in the community want info all the time and every time there's a week without news, they get impatient and nervous. If you want to, take it more as a beta announcement with few extras that are already known to be focused on in beta, while those still being worked on / polished / definitely completed will be announced later.

Are you fixing the long standing ship alignment bug? Federal Police fighting each other? Federal Police firing on player for no reason bug? Loss of target reticule bug? Invisible ship bug? Unkillable ship bug? Inability to invite a person to multicrew bug?

This is not the final patch log post. It's announcing the next beta and telling us what Frontier wants us to have a closer look on. Coordination is essential for public tests imho.

I'm glad to see the beta session test make a comeback. Can or will you extend the time period that it will run ? With many of these bug fixes may take longer than one week to see if they are resolved also some of these fixes may create some unintended new bugs in some other areas. Or will there be a second / third round of a beta sessions ? With the month of December being a holiday month I don't think that only just a one week beta is enough test time.

sollisb

Banned
This is not the final patch log post. It's announcing the next beta and telling us what Frontier wants us to have a closer look on. Coordination is essential for public tests imho.

I understand that, but it seems to me to be counterproductive to post a little list and then asked about other fixes are told it's not the entire list. Why bother with the little list at all?

I'm no better informed now than when I was before I read the 'announcement'.

Stephen Benedetti

Community Manager

Hello @sollisb

What we wanted to achieve when announcing the January Update beta, was to provide the community with some insight on the status of some of the top voted Issue Tracker reports. As these have received many votes from the community, we did not want to announce a public beta without at least highlighting them.

As such, this is not an exhaustive list of everything that will be addressed in the beta, and we realise that there are commanders out there who want to know what is happening with the bugs that they have individually reported. The full Patch Notes will be provided next week, with further details on what we aim to fix, so check back then, and we hope you'll take part in the beta!

FSS: Long delay when scanning planets with geological sites
  • As it currently stands, in order for the geological/biological sites to be placed on the surface, the entire stellar body must be fully generated (we then know the topography and can place sites where they will be accessible). This can take tens of seconds.
  • As part of the January Update, we aim to address this with an alternative process. We have run tests on thousands of in-game planetary bodies and by using this data, we're able to extrapolate the likelihood of geological/biologic sites being present on similar stellar bodies. We then use this data and indicate if the planet is ‘Unlikely’, ‘Likely’, or ‘Very Likely’ to have a geological/biological sites.
  • It is not 100% guaranteed that there will be a geological/biological site on the planetary body, but does give commanders a much faster indication of probability. This will enable commanders to quickly ascertain if the planet's worth a visit.
  • As this is an alternative way to display information, we would love to hear your feedback on it to determine whether or not it is better than the current process.
  • Please note: this will not affect Thargoid or Guardian sites, which will show up instantaneously.
Not really sure how I feel about this proposed fix. Are you saying that there will be no way to know for sure if there are geo sites without visiting? I'd almost prefer if it stayed exactly the way it is now but we just got a progress indicator of some sort. Can you at the very least stop locking the rate that it generates this data to the game's frame rate?

FSS: Long delay when scanning planets with geological sites
  • As it currently stands, in order for the geological/biological sites to be placed on the surface, the entire stellar body must be fully generated (we then know the topography and can place sites where they will be accessible). This can take tens of seconds.
  • As part of the January Update, we aim to address this with an alternative process. We have run tests on thousands of in-game planetary bodies and by using this data, we're able to extrapolate the likelihood of geological/biologic sites being present on similar stellar bodies. We then use this data and indicate if the planet is ‘Unlikely’, ‘Likely’, or ‘Very Likely’ to have a geological/biological sites.
  • It is not 100% guaranteed that there will be a geological/biological site on the planetary body, but does give commanders a much faster indication of probability. This will enable commanders to quickly ascertain if the planet's worth a visit.
  • As this is an alternative way to display information, we would love to hear your feedback on it to determine whether or not it is better than the current process.
  • Please note: this will not affect Thargoid or Guardian sites, which will show up instantaneously.
o7
the faster indication of probability is a very good idea :)

i think, at the moment, the process still run in the background even if we zoom out,

so, is it possible to continue de scanning without stopping/waiting for the full results and have a recap in the SYSTEM MAP instead (a new tab with all the POI maybe) ?
(and ideally, having this info also in the journal.log, like the materials found on the body...)

Great news, but I hope that the time between the end of beta (as I hope it's more than one) and the actual release is as close to zero days as possible, otherwise it's the usual - release comes out, oh they fixed a few things since the last beta, it broke some other things because it wasn't tested, everyone gets angry. Made nearly every previous beta an almost complete waste of time when the release turned out almost as bad as what was fixed. There needs to be a proper release-candidate test - there's no "new" content to hide so there's no excuse.

Greetings,

This si good news.
I'm curious to know how many CMDRs will sign up for BETA testing.., is there any place you keep track of this and we can see how many there are?

Top Bottom