ANNOUNCEMENT January Update - Beta Announcement

Nothing on PowerPlay - why am I not surprised? When's the last time you did any kind of fix for PowerPlay?

Grow a spine and announce that you're killing it off instead of leaving a few hundred/thousand players struggling weekly inbetween quiet prayers that FDev will finally do something to make it better.

It would be nice (or essential) that bugs for less used features are fixed as well. In the last beta I found a Powerplay bug, reported it and one refresh later it was on page 2, drowned out by FSS complaints. It then was not fixed for live, and had to wait a week for it to be fixed. The bug itself stopped combat powers handing in merits, which was game breaking.

FSS: Long delay when scanning planets with geological sites
  • As it currently stands, in order for the geological/biological sites to be placed on the surface, the entire stellar body must be fully generated (we then know the topography and can place sites where they will be accessible). This can take tens of seconds.
  • As part of the January Update, we aim to address this with an alternative process. We have run tests on thousands of in-game planetary bodies and by using this data, we're able to extrapolate the likelihood of geological/biologic sites being present on similar stellar bodies. We then use this data and indicate if the planet is ‘Unlikely’, ‘Likely’, or ‘Very Likely’ to have a geological/biological sites.
  • It is not 100% guaranteed that there will be a geological/biological site on the planetary body, but does give commanders a much faster indication of probability. This will enable commanders to quickly ascertain if the planet's worth a visit.
  • As this is an alternative way to display information, we would love to hear your feedback on it to determine whether or not it is better than the current process.
  • Please note: this will not affect Thargoid or Guardian sites, which will show up instantaneously.

Oh finally yes ! The proposed solution is not the straight forward one, but hell, it should be still a great improvement over the current situation ! And it will introduce more decision-making moments in exploration... "mm 'likely' ? should I travel those 50 kls to check it ?"

Nothing on PowerPlay - why am I not surprised? When's the last time you did any kind of fix for PowerPlay?

Grow a spine and announce that you're killing it off instead of leaving a few hundred/thousand players struggling weekly inbetween quiet prayers that FDev will finally do something to make it better.

Alternative theory could be that the absence of PP implies the 2020 work covers it on the basis that sorting PP requires substantial improvements to the codebase rather than bug fixes.

Last edited:

Stephen Benedetti

Community Manager
Greetings,

This si good news.
I'm curious to know how many CMDRs will sign up for BETA testing.., is there any place you keep track of this and we can see how many there are?

Hey,

This is a great idea, but currently there are no plans for a sign up process to show this. However, next week, we'll creating a dedicated forum section for commanders to share their feedback on the beta.

As part of the January Update, we aim to address this with an alternative process. We have run tests on thousands of in-game planetary bodies and by using this data, we're able to extrapolate the likelihood of geological/biologic sites being present on similar stellar bodies. We then use this data and indicate if the planet is ‘Unlikely’, ‘Likely’, or ‘Very Likely’ to have a geological/biological sites.
It is not 100% guaranteed that there will be a geological/biological site on the planetary body, but does give commanders a much faster indication of probability. This will enable commanders to quickly ascertain if the planet's worth a visit.
As this is an alternative way to display information, we would love to hear your feedback on it to determine whether or not it is better than the current process.
I think this is much better than the current system. In my opinion, the FSS should only give us " if the planet is ‘Unlikely’, ‘Likely’, or ‘Very Likely’ to have a geological/biological sites" anyway, being a long-distance scan, requiring us to use probes to give us a more definitive report on the planet. As it currently stands, the FSS feels a bit OP and the DSS feels a bit pointless. This change not only speeds up the FSS, but it also balances these two tools.

BIG THUMBS UP!!! :D

Last edited:
Although this beta has no bread involved, its good to see ED get some long overdue fixing.

Will stability also fit in, like with multicrew etc?
Hi Whilst I’m happy to see bug fixes and a beta testing period I have a question for you. Are you even listening to any of the PvP community, I see no mention of attempting to fix the no 1 issue in open play which is instancing! Wings not instancing, sometimes with each other, blue tunnels, blocking feature (widely used) causing a lot of these issues! I’d rather you guys just say we don’t cater for pvpers so we can all go on our way! Thanks

Hey,

This is a great idea, but currently there are no plans for a sign up process to show this. However, next week, we'll creating a dedicated forum section for commanders to share their feedback on the beta.
Do you have any more details about how beta server will work?
Like will players have increased gain of money, reputation, etc
Will testers have some side menu to be able to spawn anything they need for a less limited speed for tests. (Limited ofc)

(Cookies for this answered) - And how about a global chat for a beta server inside of the game so people dont need to waste time in forums trying to find what they need. (Not for reporting, but for more effective combined effort)

No mention of fighter lag at all, or instancing or ANY MULTIPLAYER ISSUES... is this for real??
wing beacons crashing the game? blocking being abused on the regular to crash peoples games??
Im glad the AX guys at least got some fixes but this is embarrasing. How long will it take them to realize that not being able to play with friends without something breaking horribly is killing a very dedicated portion of the playerbase?

Edit: how about cheating or the numerous exploits available?
Pretty much everything I just said, PvP community is constantly ignored! We don’t particularly want new toys, we just want the old stuff balanced and working so players can play together without crashes or just not seeing each other!

My prediction of the beta effect from a couple of weeks ago :

Then there's the demand for a return of player beta testing, which I've done before in ED and think are a bit pointless. Since they mostly involve people testing out ships/modules they don't have access to/can't afford to see if they want them in the main game. The usual suspects with personal bugbears and wishlists demanding to know why their chosen thing isn't in the beta. And a neverending constant background noise of why doesn't beta progress carry over and why do the lazy dev's want us to work for them for free instead of doing the testing themselves. Afterwards people who didn't do beta testing gripe that the players who did were lazy and missed things.

I prefer the release and hotfix method. Since I expect bugs in new releases and just take a break if I can't be bothered with them. Other people have different tastes, for me its not a big deal in the grand scheme of things either way.

Edit : the return of beta's are going to mean a massive free ARX tantrum, either because people keep them or don't.

Top Bottom