ANNOUNCEMENT January Update - Beta End

Will Flanagan

Product Manager
Frontier
ED_3.6_BetaEnd900-x-500.png

Greetings Commanders,

The January Update Beta will finish today at 12:30 12:00 PM (UTC).

We'd like to extend a big thank you to all of the commanders who jumped into the beta, shared their feedback and reported issues in the dedicated Issue Tracker section. All the information you've been able to provide will go towards aiding the development team in ensuring that, come the launch of the January Update, as many bugs and issues are addressed as possible.

We'll have more information on when you can expect the January Update in the near future, and please keep an eye on our social channels and forums for future announcements.

Thanks again, Commanders, and see you in the black!

Last edited:

Greetings Commanders,

The January Update Beta will finish today at 12:30 PM (UTC).

We'd like to extend a big thank you to all of the commanders who jumped into the beta, shared their feedback and reported issues in the dedicated Issue Tracker section. All the information you've been able to provide will go towards aiding the development team in ensuring that, come the launch of the January Update, as many bugs and issues are addressed as possible.

We'll have more information on when you can expect the January Update in the near future, and please keep an eye on our social channels and forums for future announcements.

Thanks again, Commanders, and see you in the black!
Hi Will, I've just tried logging in to do a last bit of testing and the servers are offline?

Beta coinciding with Thanksgiving week in US was likely a bad time for US participants, since many of us are "tied up" with family, travel and .... Black Friday shopping (!). Personally, I had little time to devote to this beta and it should have run for longer. One week is not enough to test even half of the issues listed.

This was a step to the right direction, but I really hope that April will see:

• real tweaks for Powerplay
  • new missions and mission triggered scenarios, especially to match the new states

Not that interested in Fleet Carriers to be honest, even if of course I will have one when they are out, but I think that Elite Dangerous needs GAMEPLAY FEATURES more than anything.

I don't think 5 days was anywhere near sufficient time to thoroughly test (but I lost most of my weekend playtime to family - much the same for our US players too I imagine) all we had suggested, another 7-10 days would have been better for me :) (I'm selfish too!)

But, the little I did get to play was interesting, new graphics for NS/WD stars being an unexpected pleasure, also it seemed that for the first time 4K resolution looked high detail, but maybe my eye was a little more critical...

Thanks for the short test, I hope others had chance to 'test' the new states :)

Not that interested in Fleet Carriers to be honest, even if of course I will have one when they are out, but I think that Elite Dangerous needs GAMEPLAY FEATURES more than anything.

As a group project to build together Fleet Carrier as a Squadron HQ had a lot of merit imho but as the next step up from a Corvette/Cutter/Conda it does seem overkill when there are larger ships people have been asking to be added for years, namely the Panther Clipper & Imperial Explorer. However, they will keep players engaged with the game longer which isn't a bad thing.

CMDR Justinian Octavius

I managed to jump into the beta server last night for a quick test of the only thing I am interested in seeing fixed - the stuttering in supercruise as I fly past previously mapped bodies with geo sites on them. No change from the regular server.

It's been good to see FDev getting engaged on the beta forum, the proof will be in the pudding though.

Seemed way too short. I'm not sure why you didn't let it run through the holidays. You know, when people actually have enough free time to play and help out.
Judging from previous betas I guess that the amount of feedback was just too much in order to be useful. There were like 5000 threads and 20000 posts, if they wanted to read all of it we would probably still be in 2.0.

Judging from previous betas I guess that the amount of feedback was just too much in order to be useful. There were like 5000 threads and 20000 posts, if they wanted to read all of it we would probably still be in 2.0.
I mean, that's why they made the Issue Tracker. So people search for the bug before making a thread.

It's not an excuse for such a short beta, after they delay an update specifically to fix bugs. They don't have proper Q&A, they recognize that, they delay a major patch, then they half-ass the feedback period. Whoever manages these things at Frontier needs to wake up. It is getting old.

I mean, that's why they made the Issue Tracker. So people search for the bug before making a thread.

It's not an excuse for such a short beta, after they delay an update specifically to fix bugs. They don't have proper Q&A, they recognize that, they delay a major patch, then they half- the feedback period. Whoever manages these things at Frontier needs to wake up. It is getting old.
I'll hold my judgement until I see the January update. If it's as buggy as the previous releases, fair point.

Dear Will, I really do hope that you have managed to contact your wonderful team of voice developers. We all over here are looking forward to receiving a soft female German speaking COVAS voice in January. Thank you very much.

Consider leaving the beta servers permanently open, with new stuff injected as needed. I strongly suspect a lot of casual types would like just flapping about in-near god-mode, and don't particularly care about persistance.

Top Bottom