ANNOUNCEMENT January Update - Beta is live!

Will Flanagan

Product Manager
Frontier

Greetings Commanders

The January Update beta begins today at 14:30 UTC!

Although the beta will run much like the real game, we ask that you focus on testing all the changes, along with your standard gameplay, to ensure the stability of the build. This will help us to identify and find ways to fix as many issues as possible before the update goes live.

As a reminder...
  • The beta runs from the 27 November and will run until the 2 December.
  • The beta will be only be accessible on PC. We are looking into expanding this for console players in the future.
  • To take part in the beta, all you’ll need to do is load up the launcher and select (and update) the following product: Elite Dangerous: January Update (Beta) from the 27 November. Once that has been completed, you’ll then have access to the January Update beta. If this doesn't appear, please restart your launcher.
  • Please report any issues you encounter (in the beta) in the Issue Tracker here.
We have created a dedicated beta section as well as some individual threads to give you more information about the beta:
Good luck on your mission, Commanders.

UPDATE: The beta will end at 12:00 (UTC) on Monday 02 December.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! NS arms are different! Also no Geo indicated on planets with volcamism so far...
ETA: Geo takes a few seconds longer than the 6 seconds I'm used to... But does show likelyhood :)

Last edited:
Seriously??? A 1 week beta over Thanksgiving weekend?
Well, to be fair that's likely only an issue for some players, and mostly in the United States. I think with the game being played in over 75 different countries around the world, the UK-based developers have likely realised that trying to avoid every single locally-significant cultural festival worldwide in order to keep every player happy is a fool's errand.

But I'm just guessing.

FWIW, beta option appears in the Steam launcher here. It says it's syncing files now (after preparing for update taking ages), feeling lucky 🧚‍♀️

Lucky as I am, everything downloaded ok, without requiring cleaning the Internet cache even. Uh, forgot to save my controller bindings, hope tsall good anyway...

O7,
🙃

Last edited:
Well, to be fair that's likely only an issue for some players, and mostly in the United States. I think with the game being played in over 75 different countries around the world, the UK-based developers have likely realised that trying to avoid every single locally-significant cultural festival worldwide in order to keep every player happy is a fool's errand.

But I'm just guessing.

it's not a question of keeping players happy. Betas aren't to make players happy - they're for TESTING. I'm willing to bet that the US makes up a pretty significant plurality of Elite players and if you want a successful beta running it over a week where a good chunk of your potential volunteer testers are away with family obligations pretty much all week and is traditionally one of the biggest travel weeks of the year is just poor planning. If FDev doesn't want my help or input...that's fine. Playing in the beta and testing stuff is a favor we extend to FDev so they don't have to pay for testing. These betas are for FDev's benefit, you'd think they would want as much participation and support as they can get. Given how the last few updates rolled out, they can't afford to be squandering such resources - they need all the help they can get.

Last edited:
We don't have Thanksgiving... or a proper Black Friday :)
I'll let you know what you missed...

we don't really have a proper Black Friday anymore either. All that happens now is that the stores raise their prices leading up to it and then drop them back down.

I have a bunch of stuff bookmarked on Amazon and I've been watching all the prices creep up about 20% over the last week. I bet the big Black Friday deal will the all the prices getting lowered back to what they were a couple of weeks ago.

meh.

Time off is time off, I can cook bird for a holiday and play ED too. Not sure how straight my flying will be later in the evening but that is what practice is for.

Top Bottom