ANNOUNCEMENT January Update - Patch 1 Announcement

Why didn't the hyperspace stuttering bug appear in the beta and if problems can arise after the beta whats he point of the beta at all
Well I didn’t notice any unusual stuttering or see any reports of it during the beta so it must have happened between then and now.

This was the only thing I checked in the beta and the behaviour hadn't changed from live at the time. I'd really like the stuttering to be eliminated completely, it wasn't there before 3.3. We'll see how tomorrow's patch changes things :)

Last edited:
Blame that console of yours for that Epic delay ;) It's the console maker's process to get the release out which causes the further delay. They'll have the patch likely the same day as the PC but Xbone and PlayaloneStation have to do their own QA before releasing it to their consoles.

Actually, the issue with some patches taking so long is they have to support the consoles. Back before this game lived on any consoles we got quicker releases/updates. It was noted when it was first released for Xbone that updates would suffer delays in getting out as some HAD to be released together, you know PC & Console, so PC users got to wait for a Xbone release - which was most of the time much longer than one week. An update in one week is pretty Epicly fast for a console

That's what you're assuming is the reason for delay. It's a reasonable assumption but the fact that no reason was given makes it sound like an afterthought, which is to be frank what Elite feels like on console.

By the way I have Elite on PC too, so I can't be goaded into petty arguments about PC Vs Console..

The unacceptable stuttering seems to be caused by planet generation, so wouldn't be as much of a problem in the Bubble. It is most noticeable for explorers.

As an explorer, all I see is that an update that was supposed to fix bugs that didn't affect me at all (otherwise than they put actual game development permanently on hold) has broken the game. There was a Beta test that was supposed to pick up obvious game-breaking issues like this.

The prompt promise of a patch to fix the game-breaking update is entirely worthless at this time, and even if the patch is delivered as promised and entirely repairs the problem first time, speaking for myself it still will not repair the damage to my confidence in the developers.

As such, I fail to understand why anyone would want to post praise for the developers on this thread, otherwise than ironically, or because they want the game to be broken, or because they are the developers themselves.

Last edited:
Wasn't the point of this update to FIX bugs rather than CREATE them? Did I misunderstand?

It's not actually a bug fix that has caused the problem. The stuttering is apparently caused by the developers' attempt to do something about the FSS delay in scanning for planetary surface features, which is related to the way in which planet surfaces are procedurally-generated. I think. I'm not a developer.

Last edited:
To be clear - this is NOT just happening on Hyperspace exists - it's happening EVERYWHERE during gameplay. Also still major issues with SLFs and lag.

Thanks,

~X

Didn't see this until after I just submitted a report. Noticed it was happening on the PS4, but didn't see anything for the PC so just submitted it and found this post.

Hyperspace jumping is really laggy, but good to see a patch will be out tomorrow...

As such, I fail to understand why anyone would want to post praise for the developers on this thread, otherwise than ironically, or because they want the game to be broken, or because they are the developers themselves.

Right? I'm often wondering the same. Is it delusion? Ignorance? Or sarcasm? In the end, though I think we all want the game to be good, better. And then there is Fdev. I never have the feeling that they want the game to be good. They have two ways to show how much they care: the quality of the content, which they release (which is obvious) and trough social media, which is equally poor in quality, if not worse.

Right? I'm often wondering the same. Is it delusion? Ignorance? Or sarcasm? In the end, though I think we all want the game to be good, better. And then there is Fdev. I never have the feeling that they want the game to be good. They have two ways to show how much they care: the quality of the content, which they release (which is obvious) and trough social media, which is equally poor in quality, if not worse.
To be fair DBOBE still has a clearly-stated vision of how Elite: Dangerous is to develop, and part of that vision is Atmospheric Landings and Space Legs. Which would be good.

But for now we have this game-breaking bug-fix glitch that should never have made it to release, especially not after the Beta test that everybody insisted on. Someone at FD has cocked up and should have a face like the proverbial well-slapped, if they don't have to worry about losing their job.

A few of us ran a some tests today. We saw the market prices changing by the minute which can be interesting to try and keep track of.

We did however find what we feel is a problem.

Test No. 1

Two ships loaded full of Painite land at the same location, at the same time. My cargo hold is at 256 (Anaconda) Wing ship had a cargo hold of 509 (Cutter). We checked the commodities market at the exact same time, my price on screen (Anaconda) at Ross 71 System - Hopkins terminal shows 931,370 CR , The Cutters price is 628,541 CR over a 300,000 CR difference between the two of us. The demand at the station is 1,190 units and we combined had less than this. To me that feels broken. This does not appear to be market demand driven price but a cargo size issue.

The Anacondas cargo gets sold and is set to zero.

Test. No. 2 - We both exit the station, transfer 102 Painite from the Cutter to the Anaconda and re-enter the station.
The Cutters Price on 389 Painite goes up 731,501 CR and the 102 Panite in the Anacondas hold is 931,370 CR. The same demand at 1,190

Test No. 3 - Once again, exit the station and perform the same procedure. Cutter is now 269 Painite - Anaconda at 210 Painite
Cutters Price is now gone up to : 842,460 CR at the same time the Anacondas price is at 895,049 CR Demand at 1,190

Test No. 4 - Make both ships carry the same amount of 210 Painite - Cutters price: 842,460 CR Anacondas Price : 895,049

Clearly the smaller cargo amounts are generating higher values. This needs to be looked into unless of course, this is being done by design.
Also note the Cutters 53,000 CR less per Ton in Test No.4 at the exact same.

Kerrygan

If that is true, It's very serious problem. That's says FDev did cheat instead of update.

The unacceptable stuttering seems to be caused by planet generation, so wouldn't be as much of a problem in the Bubble. It is most noticeable for explorers.

I don't think so. I have the stuttering in the bubble, all around the system not only during entering it. It also stutters in and around stations and in SC.

I don't think so. I have the stuttering in the bubble, all around the system not only during entering it. It also stutters in and around stations and in SC.
I'm 50,000L-y from Sol in a Sidewinder and stopped playing after jumping through a few systems to check the forums and submit a report. I only assumed the stuttering was down to the planetary generation thing because of this reddit thread and this post:
I've been jumping around in open, mostly pirate-hunting missions today, but also a little hauling - and haven't experienced any stuttering at all. So it's obviously not affecting everyone, which I guess is what makes it harder to have picked up pre-release.
I don't think anyone else has failed to spot the stutter. It pretty much makes the game unplayable doesn't it.

We did however find what we feel is a problem.
Good testing. That's utterly bizarre behaviour, but would certainly explain some of the price info I'm seeing come back from EDDN.

(Also means, I think, that you could maximise profit by selling one tonne at a time, which surely can't be intended!)

Well I didn’t notice any unusual stuttering or see any reports of it during the beta so it must have happened between then and now.

In my opinion something was chance
This was the only thing I checked in the beta and the behaviour hadn't changed from live at the time. I'd really like the stuttering to be eliminated completely, it wasn't there before 3.3. We'll see how tomorrow's patch changes things :)

In the patch notes i noted Fdev introduced a network data compressor, Oodle network compression library.

Was this module present in the beta ?

If not, we could maybe have a solution.

Top Bottom