Patch Notes January Update - Patch 1

Still getting the stuttering issue. Issue in issue tracker for anyone experiencing the same https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/11974
I was able to trigger this as well. It happened when I entered a system that was undiscovered to me, but I was in a region of space that my PS4 CMDR had explored, so I went straight to the system map to look at the "Discovered by" tags on the planets. I don't think I even honked. Perhaps it was selecting a bunch of different planets in quick succession caused all those planets to start resolving in the background (as evidenced by the description text).

I'm actually surprised that we can get detailed geological and biological data on planets in an unexplored (not even a honk) system by just opening the system map and clicking on planets. This is even MORE powerful than the original ADS. @Paige Harvey, is this what Frontier intended, or is this a bug?

I'm actually surprised that we can get detailed geological and biological data on planets in an unexplored (not even a honk) system by just opening the system map and clicking on planets. This is even MORE powerful than the original ADS. @Paige Harvey, is this what Frontier intended, or is this a bug?

This definitely doesn't seem intended - even if it is a previously discovered system, obtaining the detailed surface scan still requires to find the body in the FSS, so it makes sense that the detailed geo/bio info only appear after.

As a personal suggestion on the time to trigger the scans: for whatever reason, I was one of the few lucky ones that experienced very very little stuttering, even in greatly complex systems and I really loved the reduced time to see the full result for geo/bio info (for most, by the time I discovered them with the FSS, they already had the info handy). So, I'd suggest:
1) Stack a fixed number of scans (e.g., 5) when the FSS is open
2) When a scan is finished, queue up another one if needed
3) If the user quits the FSS when there're still scans running, kill them
4) If the user reopens the FSS, goto 1
Do not start the scan for any other trigger, i.e., system map or proximity discovery.

Furthermore, in the current implementation that just gives the likelyhood, it'd be nice if the system map displayed it as well as it does display the full result once available.

Furthermore, in the current implementation that just gives the likelyhood, it'd be nice if the system map displayed it as well as it does display the full result once available.
This would be all I need, though it should require an FSS "quick" scan to give us even that bit of information. Resolving a scan from likelyhood to absolute has zero exploration value IMO. Likelyhood is all I need to know to determine if I'm going to fly out and map the planet with my DSS. Personally I kinda wish it was required to use the DSS to switch from likely to confirmed, but all the easy-mode "I want everything right now" players who have infiltrated this game would riot. At the very least, don't go sacrificing framerate just to satisfy these milk-drinking space tourists. :p

Most important question is "human/guardian" etc signals. Before path we had to wait to finish scan. That was a reason to wait. Cannot test now if it pops immediately, but if so - then geo/bio can be changed as suggested above.

Most important question is "human/guardian" etc signals. Before path we had to wait to finish scan. That was a reason to wait. Cannot test now if it pops immediately, but if so - then geo/bio can be changed as suggested above.
It does pop up immediately, it appears now on the right panel below the features:
unknown.png

I'm actually struggling to understand the purpose of the "likelihood feature". If someone cares about GEO/BIO signal, they will wait that 10ish seconds regardless of how likely it is to find something. If they don't care about it, they will just hop on to the next body. In this state of the FSS i don't see the point of putting that on the screen.
If you're lucky enough that it only took 10ish seconds to resolve pre-Jan patch, perhaps. Personally, it took about 30ish seconds on my system to resolve (I play in VR), and I'd much rather spend that 30ish seconds flying to a world and probing it directly if the chances are good for a bio-signal, than sit around doing nothing except watch that swirling icon.

If you're lucky enough that it only took 10ish seconds to resolve pre-Jan patch, perhaps. Personally, it took about 30ish seconds on my system to resolve (I play in VR), and I'd much rather spend that 30ish seconds flying to a world and probing it directly if the chances are good for a bio-signal, than sit around doing nothing except watch that swirling icon.

Let's say you have to old FSS back (no likelihood information), but every time you select a body, it would instantly show if there are no BIO signals on it. Wouldn't that be the same for you? Know what i mean? you would see the swirling icon, but under it it would say "Biological None".

Let's say you have to old FSS back (no likelihood information), but every time you select a body, it would instantly show if there are no BIO signals on it. Wouldn't that be the same for you? Know what i mean? you would see the swirling icon, but under it it would say "Biological None".
Not really, because again I'd much rather explore via flying than sitting around and waiting forever for a signal to resolve. As I result I have a fairly unorthodox exploration strategy. Pretty much my main use of the FSS to date has been to visually scan a system looking for likely places for geological and biological actvity, and fly out there directly to confirm what I'd deduced; or to "clean up" a system after flying to the interesting parts of it. I might resolve a body in the FSS for navigation purposes, or to confirm an iffy candidate that isn't within easy flying range, but that's pretty much it.

I might feel differently about it if I could actually use the FSS while throttled up, but that's an artificial limitation imposed by FD that's not likely to change. My ideal scenario is being able to get body details from the cockpit of my ship, rather than having to enter the FSS or system map.

Not really, because again I'd much rather explore via flying than sitting around and waiting forever for a signal to resolve. As I result I have a fairly unorthodox exploration strategy. Pretty much my main use of the FSS to date has been to visually scan a system looking for likely places for geological and biological actvity, and fly out there directly to confirm what I'd deduced; or to "clean up" a system after flying to the interesting parts of it. I might resolve a body in the FSS for navigation purposes, or to confirm an iffy candidate that isn't within easy flying range, but that's pretty much it.

I might feel differently about it if I could actually use the FSS while throttled up, but that's an artificial limitation imposed by FD that's not likely to change. My ideal scenario is being able to get body details from the cockpit of my ship, rather than having to enter the FSS or system map.

...and click target remote stars on cockpit so can understand orientation, or show it's name ...can be the same as info for planet / name for stars.

Some of us are "speed explorers" by necessity, only having so many hours per week available for stick time. The added FSS wait time would be a problem for such players, but I think it's offset by the availability of the data in the Sysmap. I'm just bummed about the extra step now of accessing the sysmap, which I had previously employed tools to avoid, but have to admit it may in fact be faster in comparison to re-scanning every body with an extended scan time, especially now with the addition of the probability indicators. We'll see, I suppose.

How is this problem anything but your problem, and why should those of us who do have the time pay a price for your problem? Would you petition the Imperial Soccer League or whatever they're called to shorten the game to two 15 minute periods, with a 5-minute half-time break, simply because you don't have time to watch a full 90 minute match? Would you feel bad when they told you "Frell No."?

Because that's what this reads as to me - "I don't have time to play the game, so make the game play faster for me."

I've always loved the Civilization series of games, but rarely have time to play a full game, because a single game can easily take me 100 hours to play. That's one of the things I've always loved about them - but I haven't had time to play, so my last game remains far from finished. I love to pilot my boat too, and would be well on my way to navigating The Great Loop - if I had the time. But I have only so many vacation days, and can only do so much work remotely, so my work prevents me from having the time to make such a cruise, and they're not going to give me a leave of absence (and more importantly, pay me, to sail around the eastern US for six months).

You are slightly incorrect, CMDR, in stating that this is only my problem. The issue is not that I want the game to play faster, but that small added delays to repetitive game mechanics necessary to my preferred style of play, shared by a significant portion of the ED community, have cumulative effects that significantly impact the amount I am able to accomplish in the time I have available to spend in-game.

Previously, FSS scanning of bio/geo bodies could complete in the background while I performed other tasks, and I could return to bodies of interest upon their completion in an efficient manner. Now I must spend that time waiting for each scan to complete in turn, drastically increasing the FSS scan time of each system and allowing me to scan a fraction of the systems I previously could in the same amount of time.

I'm not sure what price you perceive yourself to pay with keeping the background process FSS, so I don't see how I'm asking anyone to pay any price for the sake of my preference. I'm simply stating how the FSS changes have negatively impacted my particular style of play. It doesn't seem that the old FSS was an issue for anyone, frankly, since I'm sure that the "efficient" system of scanning I described was in wide use, so this new scanning method seems to benefit no one while causing a significant reduction in gameplay for everyone, whether you have the time/patience to wait out each scan or not, since scanning can no longer be conducted in an efficient manner.

Having said all that, the implementation of the probability "hints" has resulted (for me) in such a drastic improvement in scan times (since I only care for Bio signals, eliminating the necessity to return to all but a tiny fraction of "long scan" bodies) that the FSS scan time is almost irrelevant. Also, the addition of location information to the system map has eliminated the need for me to keep track of which bodies to visit, saving me even more time. But imagine the impact upon those searching for Geo signals, which can populate significant percentages of system bodies, who now have to spend exponentially more time waiting for scans to resolve, resulting in inversely proportionate accomplishment per gaming session.

I really appreciate your effort towards neutrality in your post, and hope I've achieved the same.

EDIT: In an attempt to make the argument more practical, imagine a similar increase in production times on mining or achieving goals in Power Play. Come to think of it, the reaction to the mining "nerf" is plain to see, and has the same impact on mining as the FSS delay does to exploration; you can achieve the same thing, it's just going to take a lot longer. The vocal response to the mining change is due to the impact on credit balances, but I don't care about credits. I care about discovering things, which a much less tangible reward but no less fulfilling to explorers.

Further EDIT:
Even more practically, Would Soccer fans petition the league if they allowed an additional 10 seconds for every commercial? Would you be disheartened if it took you 1000 hours to achieve the same thing in Civ? Would you complain to management if your employer cut your vacation time per year by 20%? I think these are comparable to what FDev has done to changing the FSS so that it no longer scans in the background, and more akin to my complaint about it.

This definitely doesn't seem intended - even if it is a previously discovered system, obtaining the detailed surface scan still requires to find the body in the FSS, so it makes sense that the detailed geo/bio info only appear after.

As a personal suggestion on the time to trigger the scans: for whatever reason, I was one of the few lucky ones that experienced very very little stuttering, even in greatly complex systems and I really loved the reduced time to see the full result for geo/bio info (for most, by the time I discovered them with the FSS, they already had the info handy). So, I'd suggest:
1) Stack a fixed number of scans (e.g., 5) when the FSS is open
2) When a scan is finished, queue up another one if needed
3) If the user quits the FSS when there're still scans running, kill them
4) If the user reopens the FSS, goto 1
Do not start the scan for any other trigger, i.e., system map or proximity discovery.

I don't know, seems kind of harsh. Maybe let them off with a warning first, then if they do it again kill them?

Did they do an economy adjustment? I noticed a huge drop in the sell price for Guardian artifacts at the Prospect in Synuefe EN-H d11-9. Still the best price in the galaxy but the offered prices have dropped by half.

Ticket was raised by someone else: I'm just one of the confirmers - Furry Man has posted a vid on the other January update thread, so it may have been his.

Glad that it's not just me seeing it though! 😁

I noticed this too last night. The 'hitching' was quite mild and around large assets for me, so I was wondering if it was a texture / shader / model loading issue causing problems.

Greetings Commander,

Thank you all for your feedback around the ongoing 'Stuttering Issue'.

Our development team are currently hard at work looking into this, however, if this issue has affected you then please add a comment to this issue tracker report.

We will keep you up to date with any changes on our social channels.

Thanks!
Thanks Stephen,

Can you provide any update on the progress of this? If it's not looking like there will be a fix before weekend would you be able to provide details of any workarounds to mitigate the issue until a fix is released?

It's a pretty nauseating experience playing in VR with this issue and I was quite looking forward to flying my spaceship this weekend.

Thanks

New bug that I was hoping would be corrected after the patch to the patch, but it is not. When you boost the audio will fade out completely to silence instead of back to normal cruising engine sounds. After 2 to 3 seconds the engine sounds come back. Very annoying, especially in VR. I'll be reporting in the issue tracker.

EDIT: Posted: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/11993

I'm sort of getting this now too AFTER the January update - when I unwarp to a station and then deploy the landing gear the engine sound completely goes silent for about 5 seconds.

Top Bottom