ANNOUNCEMENT January Update - Patch Notes

While it's nice to see a number of bugs taken care of, i'm hoping FD don't just stop here and go there you go, Elite fixed. I can give you a list almost as long as the one in the OP with plenty more bugs for FD to be getting on with. Will there be more fixes or is this it? And why are so many obvious ones which have been there since day one, not being looked at?
They’ve literally said like 10 times that the first half of the year is all bug fixes

What I want to see is new content not what we know... :(
Game is starting to be very booooooring. Where are those beautiful icy planets, fleet carriers and...? I'm starting to loose hope that this BIG mysterious new paid content will be nothing else than what was introduced but not included yet because bugs and delays.

Some nice improvements and fixes, but I have just one question. Have Void opals, and all the other new mining materials been added to the galaxy map commodity mineral filter list as it was brought up during beta. How do we find these good markets without it? Or is that fix for a future update?

ARX
  • Balance improvements for the generation of ARX, particularly for exploration-related gameplay.

Hey Stephen, since you are here answering questions today, any chance we could get the details on how exactly ARX earning has changed for exploration? It would be nice to know, thanks.

I'm hoping explores now earn a lot less ARX for turning in data and a lot more for doing actual exploration activities, this would greatly help the deep space explorers.

Hey Stephen, since you are here answering questions today, any chance we could get the details on how exactly ARX earning has changed for exploration? It would be nice to know, thanks.

I'm hoping explores now earn a lot less ARX for turning in data and a lot more for doing actual exploration activities, this would greatly help the deep space explorers.

That's exactly what I'd assume they've done - rebalanced the distribution between actually exploring and cashing in. Obviously I'd be interested too but we should be able to get a decent idea on day one of the update anyway. Well I will, I'm on my way back from Beagle via a loop of the core, so I certainly won't be doing anything other than jumping and scanning for the forseeable future.

It may be a dumb question, but why exactly is it important to know if a planet has geological sites? TIA!
Not dumb - long time players just often assume things that less experienced people don't know yet.
There are a few reasons to explore geological (and biological) sites:
  • they look nice 😁
  • scanning bio and geo sites will get you Codex credits, and possibly your name in the Codex
  • bio and geo sites in general hold concentrations of all the raw materials that can be found on this body
  • specific bio sites (so far known: Crystal Shards) hold an abundance of the highest grade material to be found on that body (nice if you want Polonium, also nice if you want anything else since the raw material traders will give you a very favourable rate when trading down)

It's not about your monitor, your graphics card still does the work though (why else would a higher FPS does the trick?). But interesting that you asked: Never heard about people who try to keep their PC cool and silent? Most of my PC components are based on that concept. To the contrary of some other's opinions, in the past I did some testing with one of my former video cards and found leaving FPS unbound considerably increases heat development and power consumption - up to stability issues in the worst case. I thought that's common knowledge, no? Anyway, that's why I consider any FPS count above what your monitor can actually display a waste and very precarious when making game functions depending on it.
As a laptop gamer, totally agree. Not to mention that locked and vsynced video looks way better and runs smoother than uncapped screen-tearing video. Digital Foundry even did a test that shows that it's better to lock framerate to refresh as it gives the hardware more time to do other things like loading textures.

It's not about your monitor, your graphics card still does the work though (why else would a higher FPS does the trick?). But interesting that you asked: Never heard about people who try to keep their PC cool and silent? Most of my PC components are based on that concept. To the contrary of some other's opinions, in the past I did some testing with one of my former video cards and found leaving FPS unbound considerably increases heat development and power consumption - up to stability issues in the worst case. I thought that's common knowledge, no? Anyway, that's why I consider any FPS count above what your monitor can actually display a waste and very precarious when making game functions depending on it.

All right all right I was just asking - keep yer shirt on :)

Yes I do know some like to keep their PC coll & quiet - I was asking because there might be other reasons for capping at 60 FPS, and even got answers different to yours.

For myself, when it comes to playing games, I don't mind a bit of extra heat and noise, the end result of which is a smoother E: D experience and PoI's not taking 'tens of seconds'.

When the beta came out last month I was dismayed at the proposed solution, which would have removed information I previously had (available PoI's in a reasonable amount of time for me). Fortunately, FDEV listened and kept the PoI count being calculated if one waits a little bit after the probability display.

So all's well. I do know one or two folks might be concerned that the PoI's are still calculating in the background. We'll see if that's the case when the patch is unleashed.

Fly safe CMDR o7

It is worth mentioning again how smart the decision was to ADD functionality to the FSS for those with complaints rather than pander to a subset of users at the expense of the rest of the user base and remove features that worked perfectly fine.

feature changes do not need to be a binary choice.

the practice of pitting two groups against each other to decide which way to go makes no sense when the ability to accommodate both are readily available. The FSS was never the exclusive property of explorers but rather every pilot and has many uses which would have suffered if development chose to cater to the loudest cries or most famous youtube personalities.

I hope somewhere in the lessons learned for this patch cycle development realizes that giving players options is a valid design decision.

Please see below for the updated rebuy costs:

Harmless = 20,000 cr
Mostly Harmless = 40,000 cr
Novice = 70,000 cr
Competent = 120,000 cr
Expert = 200,000 cr
Master = 325,000 cr
Dangerous = 650,000 cr
Deadly = 1,250,000 cr
Elite = 2,250,000 cr
Strewth!

My Elite pilot's rebuy is more than the rebuy of my Krait o_O You'd also think they would use their own money first to like save themselves :rolleyes:

"oh hey my pilot I've ejected when your ship blew up, plz pay 2.5 mil to save me?"
"really? you've got 400 mil yourself - nope you can die or pay for yourself"
"ok i'm going to die then"

I mean, what do they do with their money?

Hey @AndrewJohnson,

With the feedback shared with us during the January Update beta, the team have updated the rebuy costs for each crew member depending on the crew member's rank.

Please see below for the updated rebuy costs:

Harmless = 20,000 cr
Mostly Harmless = 40,000 cr
Novice = 70,000 cr
Competent = 120,000 cr
Expert = 200,000 cr
Master = 325,000 cr
Dangerous = 650,000 cr
Deadly = 1,250,000 cr
Elite = 2,250,000 cr

Thank you very much!!!

It is worth mentioning again how smart the decision was to ADD functionality to the FSS for those with complaints rather than pander to a subset of users at the expense of the rest of the user base and remove features that worked perfectly fine.

I agree.

It's a shame they didn't adopt that approach when introducing the bloody FSS to begin with.

Strewth!

My Elite pilot's rebuy is more than the rebuy of my Krait o_O You'd also think they would use their own money first to like save themselves :rolleyes:

"oh hey my pilot I've ejected when your ship blew up, plz pay 2.5 mil to save me?"
"really? you've got 400 mil yourself - nope you can die or pay for yourself"
"ok i'm going to die then"

I mean, what do they do with their money?
You aren’t paying that to save them, you are paying it to get them to come work for you again.

Just because they have earned 400 million since they started working doesn’t mean they have that much money any more than you still have all the money you have been paid since you started working.

By the way I am amazed you are running around in a Krait that is basically still as it left the shipyard.

Last edited:
So Will said on stream that the Orthrus was just a glitch and I just wanted to clarify what he meant by that. The design is far too bizarre to just be a glitch and the concept art very clearly shows that the Orthrus is classed as a "seeder" variant meaning it's design was intentional. Is this Thargoid vessel just never going to make another appearance in game? It was seeming like the perfect way to introduce the Klaxians versus Oresrians conflict you guys mention in several of the novels.
I just went back and listened to that section (see min 41-46 of the Youtube stream if anyone else is looking).

TINFOIL ON

Will recognized the name "Orthrus Interceptor" much too quickly for it to be just a random glitch. He even tried to pun it off the first time - "Just a bug. <shrug> Just a bug."

Also, I agree that the observed scenario is not just a rogue ship model, but a fully scripted scene. This is something that is in the game intentionally, if perhaps incomplete and not intended to have appeared yet. I think we'll be seeing the Orthrus, or something much like it, again someday.

TINFOIL OFF

Top Bottom