ANNOUNCEMENT January Update - Patch Notes

I didn't expect this to be an issue free patch since NONE of the updates from FD for this game have been without some annoying, if not seriously ridiculous issues.

The stuttering was an issue in a previous patch, rearing it's ugly head again. Rubber banding seems improved at busy ports but instancing in supercruise is horrific. People popping in and out of detectable view on the radar, yet still visible to the eye.

It seems slowing to a halt makes some people dissappear and acceleration can bring them back on radar and detectable. What's that about?

Typical, sadly. I do hope the rest of the year's actual new content doesn't add many more back and forth head aches...

Edit... The slowing and acceleration thing mentioned doesn't seem consistent.

Last edited:
I'm doing almost the same, but without collector limpets - increasing max cargo to 68, while still keeping an A4 prismatic. With a little luck and full refinery you can make over 120 Mio. in one trip - In a small ship (which quickly sells and gets back to work, reducing the potential loss from a sudden price change and also accidents that would be less painful: 500k rebuy and 1 to 3 hours time at worst)!

The crux with VO mining in small ships is that you basically watch out for a high paying station, then go from there an find a VO hotspot in the vicinity, ideally not further away than 2 or 3 jumps (when you are lucky, even in the same system). Finding them is usually surprisingly easy. Since these high paying opportunities only hold for 3 days (not sure if that will stay), you become a "miner on journeys" that also includes frequent exploration activities.

It's not about max efficiency and credits, rather for veterans who already have everything they need. To me hands-down the current most gratifying gameplay available.

For those who don't have access to the MK4 I'd recommend the ASPX, which on paper should even be better. But for the way I'm doing core ming the MK4 is the perfect vessel. :D
(tried a Conda for a few hours, but that's where the fun stops very quickly to me)
Yep... This is the build I am using: 30-45 min = +/- 90 Mil.
and as you state, i do not need the credits 15B in cash 20 B in assets 14 Ships all Fully engineered

Not sure this is a bug but Guardian Sites are not showing on FSS scan. They are listed on the System Map beside Locations Guardian(4)
guardian_fss.jpg

guardian_sys.jpg

Since I am doing an expedition right now I can only comment on the exploration fixes/issues:
  • I can confirm that the stutter seems to happen only in systems with landable planets (though I have seen Paige's post that the cause has already been identified and will be fixed tomorrow)
  • I have NOT seen the new FSS mechanic of "unlikely / likely / very likely" for signals at all. Instead when a body has geo signals the number shows up immediately now. I would speculate that this is related to the stuttering issue. Presumably some calculations are done at the moment as soon I enter a system and by the time I enter FSS the results are available. Not a complaint from my side, just an observation.
  • The signal information in the top right info field of the FSS are now shown with a line break, e.g. "Geological 'line break' (9). I assume the same string is used in the system map since it shows the same line break and the Nav panel which causes the number to not show anymore there. Because as soon as you select the entry in the Nav panel you see the same string with the line break in the description field.
  • The summation of the belts works well, I really love that.
That's it for now, I might edit this if I find anything else.

Not sure this is a bug but Guardian Sites are not showing on FSS scan. They are listed on the System Map beside Locations Guardian(4)
guardian_fss.jpg

guardian_sys.jpg
That information has been moved to the description area as described in the patch notes. They are actually on your picture highlighted in blue font (very first line).

guardian_fss.jpg

I think that's working as intended. They said Human/Guardian/Thargoid sites are considered "Locations" not "Features" and that Locations were moved down to the right side pane. From now on only geological and biological sites will show up on the Features pane.

• I can confirm that the stutter seems to happen only in systems with landable planets (though I have seen Paige's post that the cause has already been identified and will be fixed tomorrow)
  • I have NOT seen the new FSS mechanic of "unlikely / likely / very likely" for signals at all. Instead when a body has geo signals the number shows up immediately now. I would speculate that this is related to the stuttering issue. Presumably some calculations are done at the moment as soon I enter a system and by the time I enter FSS the results are available. Not a complaint from my side, just an observation.
Same here, I haven't seen the Unlikely/Likely bit since the patch. My guess would be that the pre-computation for all landable bodies was not intended, and the fix Paige mentioned is to revert that to the behavior described in the patch notes.

Same here, I haven't seen the Unlikely/Likely bit since the patch. My guess would be that the pre-computation for all landable bodies was not intended, and the fix Paige mentioned is to revert that to the behavior described in the patch notes.
Agreed.
I read their explanation why it would take so long originally, but never understood the dependency really. Surely the number of sites (the only info shown in the FSS) is an input parameter and thus available before the rendering of the planet. As such it should be possible to show it "immediately". I could understand that some delay was intended as a gameplay mechanic in the sense that scanning a whole planet for signals does take some time and cannot be instantaneous. I think most players would be willing to accept that in terms of role playing. If they simply would have kept the time in the range of 5-10 seconds I believe this never would have been an issue to begin with.

Before it passes underneath the radar, the hilarious Holo-Me bug in VR has been fixed apparently. No more Sleepy Hollow and questionable dreams for me! \o/

The stutters are the only issue left for me, everything else seems fine so far.

O7,
🙃

Can you elaborate on that? How did you come to that conclusion.

At first glance this is about data compression, so Elite will need less bandwidth. But Elite hardly needs any anyway. Was this small amount already too much for AWS?

I think Elite's problem come from the fact that networking is hard and the P2P connections aren't very reliable. Would the inclusion of this library really magically fix a lot of that or is it just a "might as well" addition to save some bandwidth?
Networking, when investment and creative tech engineering come together, make beautiful fractal patterns on huge 8K monitors.
It's only hard when you try to do something new, which is what Elite is. P2P, if limited to WIN64 PC is easy.
Try it thru Sony and MS' flower garden paynets, with a frisson of Steam, for instance(s) ;)

Oodle
It's more for FD server side to speed up all the central stuff: Boards, Codex, Map, Logs Missions
Helps those with ISP's who and/or: shape traffic, NAT spoof, low sec DNS, low fi surveillance, poor net design, won't rent enough trunk fibers etc.

Your game makes 1 connect to your ISP. Then to Amazon Web Services, who compete with MIcroSoft for this hot global cloud action.
Some ISPs have lots of AWS connections, some not so much, depending on where you live.
And if they spent for good infrastructure, not corporate salaries.

AWS gateway then makes multiple connections in parallel to FD's front edge servers. My hypothesis of course.
Oodle should only compress what isn't compressed already, like bitmaps and lzn

Gonna try the game now, Going for the Mug

I have no idea why Elite is bottlenecking on data loads when the bandwidth monitor lists really small upload and download amounts, but I know that something is wrong there because streaming to discord causes desync/lag, and sometimes so does streaming music. I'm on a fiber optic gigabit connection so I don't think I should be bottlenecking on my end, but it sure acts like it is.
I think they will need some time to get it customised to the live game. Might not even be an Oodle problem
Testing works best live because they cannot really simulate that dynamic load.
Never play on patch day lol.

Top Bottom